Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Vintage Columbine Steel Frame Road Bike--what's the deal?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 12:12 AM
tgapp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys!

First, a bit of an apology: I'm new here, both to road biking and to the forum. So, please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place or don't follow etiquette. Even with all the reading I've done--I'm not even sure that I've got all the names right on this thing!

I just picked up an old vintage Columbine Road Bike in excellent condition from the local classifieds--it's Dura Ace hubs, Shimano 600 brakes, and Shimano Deore XT Deraillers both front & back. It's in generally good condition, with just a few minor scratches, but it looks generally solid. The stem has what appears to be a red M logo on it, and the drop-bar handles are Nitto. The original owner described the unusual shifting set up (twist shifters at the bottom of the drop bars) as a "half step and a granny". 27" Wolber Super Champion rims and Vittoria Saffiro tires (great shape!)

So--the obvious question--what is all of this worth? I paid $250 for it, so I think I got a pretty good deal--but my real question (and maybe this is the wrong place to ask this) is would I be better served selling it and purchasing a newer, more modern bike, or keeping it? Is there any changes that I should make to it? And what would be the best way to sell this bike, should I decide to go down that path?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-12, 03:15 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Welcome to the Bike Forums.

Your description is inadequate for any kind of appraisal. Also, it is a very good idea to include good quality pictures of the bicycle and frame/fork set features. Armed with a better description and pictures, the folks here at Bike Forums will be better able to help you out.
Old 05-31-12, 05:28 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Twist grips on the end of the handlebars have nothing to do with half step/granny.

Bike is a very odd mix of parts.

You missed listing perhaps the most important part: what is the frame made out of? (Tubing type and grade). That and condition go a long way towards value.
Old 05-31-12, 06:07 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I would very much like pictures as well. My suspiscion is you got a steal, as Columbine is a respected small custom builder. However, until you post photos, you got ripped off.

The parts sound like a very idosyncratic hack. Either PO had very set ideas about what he wanted in a bike, or someone bought the frame and threw it together with whatever they had lying about.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 05-31-12, 09:41 AM
tgapp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is in good/great condition, especially considering it's age. There are a few light scratches or nicks, but in general, the paint is in great shape. All of the other components have very little wear and look/perform excellently. So, maybe it's not in "showroom floor" condition, but that notwithstanding, it's beautiful.

The frame is all steel, made by Columbine Bike Works. I can't tell exactly, but I know that it is either "Platinum" True Temper tubing or NiVa Chrome Series from Columbus, Italy. All I know is that Columbine bikes are supposed to have (in general) exceptional materials. The frame is beautifully lugged and completely silver brazed.

The build is quirky, but the original owner had it all done to order, for a special-built touring bike. Having the smallest gear on the crank is actually pretty nice, and aside from the peculiarity of it, I'm pleased. I don't know if I can afford to put better components on it right now (being the poor college student that I am), and am unsure of the necessity of that. Yeah, it's a weird build, but so what?

I couldn't get the images to attach properly in the thread, so I just put them in an imgur gallery. Sorry for the picture quality--I just bought a new camera, and it should be here tomorrow. If these shots don't scratch the itch, I'm happy to go back and get better ones.

https://imgur.com/a/RSdcS

Thanks again for your help--and again--I'm sorry for my newbishness. But really, this means a lot to me.
Old 05-31-12, 10:43 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
American customs can be hard to price. However, that bike is worth far more than you paid for it. 4/500 at least for the frame alone. I paid three for a Waterford frame, and I though I got a steal. I would put yours in that class. The parts are weird, and the shifters look like something off a walmart bike. No bother, if you like them, keep them.

I still want better pictures. Until then, your bike is worth fifty cents.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 05-31-12, 10:59 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Definitely a classic, vintage road bike... all the way down to the Grip Shift!

That's one fine Columbine you have there! Built in Greeley, CO and then the company re-located to Mendocino, CA. The Murphys really do very nice work... right up there with the best of the custom builders! Lugwork is exquisite, paint is top drawer.

Don't sweat the component mix; looking at the bike it was set up as a triple chain ring bike hence the XT derailleurs... Dura Ace didn't come with a wide range R DR back then.

I'd put a Columbine up against anything currently being made in terms of small custom framebuilders... JP Weigle, Baylis, Rivendell. But, I am somewhat biased... the Columbine happens to be our State Flower!

Alan
Old 05-31-12, 11:07 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 You got yourself a nice find there, $500 to $750 would be my guess.

+1 Small custom builders hard to appraise, as most buyers don't recognize them, so they go under-appreciated.

I had a Giant with those goofy end of bar twist shifters.

+1 Paint and decal work look outstanding. That's the first thing I look at, as it is expensive to fix, and the bike is only original once. The oddball mix can be relatively easily addressed.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-31-12 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-31-12, 11:49 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Wow, that is very nice. You got a great deal at that price however, if you intend to re-sell it, I would edit out the price as a google search of "Columbine bicycle" will undoubtedly lead here.

The guys over at Velocipede Salon will probably be able to help you out with more specifics of the builder, era, etc.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/forum.php
Old 05-31-12, 12:37 PM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike. If you bought it from friends or family at that price reselling will inherit you some bad juju. Since you are a student, unless you plan on -real- racing keep it. Buying one in its class new will set you back a pretty penny.

Use something else for utility riding as this one is not very replaceable. This bike screams custom build for someone who knew what they wanted.
Old 05-31-12, 04:24 PM
GTizzy

Bikes: Miyata 621 Touring, Dahon Smooth Hound (Demountable)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, the Columbine Cycle Works website indicates that road frames start at $3,200: https://www.columbinecycle.com/store.php
Old 05-31-12, 04:43 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Columbine had been well known for their excellent craftmanship, specially the way they design and craft the lugwork on their bikes which are pretty much custom builds. Their bikes have been the subject of many features in bicycling magazines since the 80's, and I remember saving those magazines for years just so I can view the pics of the featured Columbine bikes. You are one lucky guy to get this one. Hope you treat it well and preserve it's originality as its value will continue to go up every year.

Chombi
Old 05-31-12, 05:29 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Nice bike!
Very nice indeed!

If the bike fits, I would keep it and try to retro fit it.

Buying something else about that quality would be a bit pricy!
Old 05-31-12, 08:39 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would say this is a great price for a what is likely a Colorado Columbine even with the hodge podge of components. The frame and wheels are worth about twice what you paid for the bike maybe more.
Old 09-30-18, 05:45 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
I saw a beautiful Columbine while out riding today. Looking for info about them lead me to this thread. I though that I would post the pic of the OP's bike.

Old 09-30-18, 06:16 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Ha I was so engrossed that I didn't notice the date. The OPs machine was awesome, half stepped, XT, Dura Ace and period correct grip shift - srams big break. All on a small builders frame - I'd be so floored to find this! It's the dream of responding to an Ad about "an old bike with grip shift".

This bike wasn't a hodgepodge of parts, it was very specifically built. I would've enjoyed a conversation with the original owner.
Old 09-30-18, 06:25 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
This bike wasn't a hodgepodge of parts, it was very specifically built.
That makes perfect sense; Columbines weren't cheap back in the day and they still set you back 3K or more. I've had two frames custom built for me over the years and I knew going in how the bike was going to look - and generally perform - afterwards. One of them even got updated to 8-speed and that second build suited it just a little bit better

DD
Old 09-30-18, 06:57 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
The bike I saw was green with chrome lugs. It was gorgeous.
Old 10-01-18, 10:04 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Just to summarize, $250 for a Columbine in that condition is an AMAZING deal. No idea if they're still in business, but you could expect to pay at least 10-12x that much for a new Columbine frame and fork.

SP
OC, OR

ps- regarding the build kit: this bike predates the "integrated groups everywhere" concept, especially for non-racing bikes. Admittedly some of the choices are idiosyncratic, but overall nothing weird for the time period.
Old 10-04-18, 04:53 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts

Love my Columbine, a 1984
Likes For bocobiking:
Old 10-04-18, 05:38 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
The bike I saw was green with chrome lugs. It was gorgeous.
If I ever spend the $$ for a high end custom frame, full chrome lugs, drops, fork socks, DS chain stay. Weight be damned.

Green is my top choice for color, followed by the wild early 90s floro!
Old 11-19-20, 08:23 PM
GiovanniLiCalsi
Cobalto

Bikes: Colnago, Marinoni, Columbine, Schwinn Paramount, Raleigh International, Raleigh Professional, 1893 Crescent Juno, 1896 Crescent No.1, 1899 Crescent No.18, 1896 Columbia 40, 1902 Pierce Special, 1903 Pierce Special, 1905 Pierce Special Racer,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Columbine

Columbine Cycle Works bicycles sell for as much as $14,500, today.
They’re a work of art. The New York Museum of Art has requested to have one in their art gallery.
This Columbine frame has lost wax investment cast frame lugs and gold filled investment cast bling.
The tubing is very thin wall.

Likes For GiovanniLiCalsi:
Old 11-19-20, 10:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by GiovanniLiCalsi
Columbine Cycle Works bicycles sell for as much as $14,500, today.
They’re a work of art. The New York Museum of Art has requested to have one in their art gallery.
This Columbine frame has lost wax investment cast frame lugs and gold filled investment cast bling.
The tubing is very thin wall.

Priced out a frame on their site with everything I could have wanted, was only 8500$, not certain what 14k would get you unless that includes the parts. Only wish I had the money to drop on it, I think that would make the wife snap.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 11-20-20, 10:31 AM
GiovanniLiCalsi
Cobalto

Bikes: Colnago, Marinoni, Columbine, Schwinn Paramount, Raleigh International, Raleigh Professional, 1893 Crescent Juno, 1896 Crescent No.1, 1899 Crescent No.18, 1896 Columbia 40, 1902 Pierce Special, 1903 Pierce Special, 1905 Pierce Special Racer,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Columbine Frame

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Priced out a frame on their site with everything I could have wanted, was only 8500$, not certain what 14k would get you unless that includes the parts. Only wish I had the money to drop on it, I think that would make the wife snap.
I spoke with the Columbine Cycle Works owner and he told me that this frame would cost $14,500.00 to build, today.
Regards,
Giovanni
Old 11-20-20, 12:37 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by GiovanniLiCalsi
I spoke with the Columbine Cycle Works owner and he told me that this frame would cost $14,500.00 to build, today.
Regards,
Giovanni
These are automobile prices. Excellent craftsmanship, superb mechanical work, iffy price. I’m thinking 2020 Mercedes CLA with that kind of money, not lost wax lugs!!

Cheers mate, gorgeous bike nonetheless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.