Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When will carbon bikes fall out of favor?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 05:01 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts

How many more years do you think the industry can milk the dollars before serious riders decide to go back to aluminum, ti and steel? I mean, there has been a slow resurgence, but when do you think it will pick up speed?
Old 05-05-15, 05:08 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As soon as Titanium, or some other better material than Carbon-fiber becomes cheaper. Which means not in the foreseeable future. Steel is heavier relative to strength than CF, and Aluminum is vertically stiffer, whereas CF can be designed to be stiff in one dimension while compliant in another, meaning it's easier to make it comfortable while laterally stiff than Aluminum.

Frankly, I like steel and I like CF, and if I got a deal on a frame, I'd try Ti, but I won't buy another Aluminum frame, because I can get steel that I prefer riding (despite it being heavier), for less than Aluminum.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 05-05-15 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 05:22 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That could be a long wait, Lazyass.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 05-05-15, 05:42 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Steel. How quaint.
Old 05-05-15, 05:43 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Not in our lifetimes.
Old 05-05-15, 05:44 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Won't happen with existing materials. Will happen when the next Wundermaterial is discovered/invented.
Old 05-05-15, 05:47 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When unobtainum becomes obtainium.
Old 05-05-15, 05:57 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
..........serious riders decide to go back to aluminum, ti and steel? ....
Some serious audiophiles enjoy vinyl records... with amps that use vacuum tubes (low hum). But.... I don't see an end to MP3 or apple tunes for a resurgence to the OLD days of spinning records. Rarely... if ever does technology ever turn back the clock.

The appreciation of steel among serious cyclists could last for as long as with have cyclist (or bicycles). But steel will never return as the dominate bicycle material. And carbon can't remain on top forever ether... but carbon will never likely hold a place as number two.

I can't guess or predict what new material will replace carbon fiber. But as sure as sales drop low enough... big name bicycle makers will come up with something stronger... and maybe even lighter... as well as cheaper.
Old 05-05-15, 05:58 PM
AMusingFool

Bikes: Trek 7700, Motobecane Le Champion ST Ti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When people stop caring about aero frames?
Old 05-05-15, 05:58 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11005 Post(s)
Liked 4,688 Times in 2,152 Posts
In this age of computer design and analysis and custom lay-up of carbon, they aren't going away any time soon.

Old 05-05-15, 06:02 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Say what you will about the merits of various materials, but it does seem that CF is the default for those who are superficially indifferent to or ignorant of those merits, simply because it is "the latest and greatest," regardless of whether it is ultimately the most appropriate for the buyer/rider. So looking at it that way, unless something new is developed beforehand, I'd say it will take another 10 years or so for it to lose that cachet.
Old 05-05-15, 06:05 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The sort of thing that puts the end to something is a serious health risk. For example, asbestos is a miracle fiber but fortunately it was discovered, after a great deal of it had already been used, to be harmful to one's health. That put an end to asbestos.

If you could imagine a carbon fiber flaw so great that it posed a risk to riders and the public, THEN I think the end of carbon fiber will be near.
Old 05-05-15, 06:11 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Say what you will about the merits of various materials, but it does seem that CF is the default for those who are superficially indifferent to or ignorant of those merits, simply because it is "the latest and greatest," regardless of whether it is ultimately the most appropriate for the buyer/rider. So looking at it that way, unless something new is developed beforehand, I'd say it will take another 10 years or so for it to lose that cachet.
There are always exceptions to the rule, but questioning the intelligence of buyers is a lot like questioning the intelligence of oneself. After all, it isn't long before everyone get wrapped up in someone's definition of a rube, so we all must be rubes. I don't like to think I'm a rube so I try not to make a fuss about how other people make decisions.

Last edited by cale; 05-05-15 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 06:19 PM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AMusingFool
When people stop caring about aero frames?
As soon as we start bike racing on Mars or the moon.
Old 05-05-15, 06:21 PM
Silvercivic27

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
If you could imagine a carbon fiber flaw so great that it posed a risk to riders and the public, THEN I think the end of carbon fiber will be near.
Gee...I don't know... Have you ever gotten a Carbon Fiber Splinter? Yowch!!!
Old 05-05-15, 06:22 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cale
The sort of thing that puts the end to something is a serious health risk. For example, asbestos is a miracle fiber but fortunately it was discovered, after a great deal of it had already been used, to be harmful to one's health. That put an end to asbestos.

Haven't you heard? Carbon fiber frames explode without warning.
Old 05-05-15, 06:31 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 193 Posts
Interesting question. I think when Captain Wrongway Peachfuzz finally does find Mt. Flatten, and it's determined that Upsadasium, of which said mountain is composed of, is shown to have sufficient qualities to serve as a bike frame, it's over for Carbon. Mt. Flatten, a floating mountain, proves that Upsadasium is very light, lighter than air, actually, so if it's stiff enough we can finally have frames that weight nothing. And that's with components installed. I look forward to the day when Captain Peachfuzz finally does find Mt. Flatten. It will be a great day for cycling. More info here:

The HJO3 Project

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
peachfuzz.jpg (30.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-05-15, 06:40 PM
greenlight149

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when they can mass produce graphene cheaply
Old 05-05-15, 06:50 PM
transporterjr
Retro-Grouch

Bikes: 83 Fuji Touring IV, 90 Univega Alpina Pro MTB, REI road bike, others in pieces

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When people care about end of life cycle recyclability, I guess.
Steel (or aluminum bike) strip the tires, throw in the metal bin at the dump and it gets turned back into steel. Of course I'm still riding a 32-33 year old steel bike and I am going to turn my 40 year old Raleigh into a single speed, so I have not reached end of life with those bikes yet.

I did buy a 90's carbon and aluminum bike, but I probably would not buy a new carbon fiber bike.
Old 05-05-15, 06:51 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Some serious audiophiles enjoy vinyl records... with amps that use vacuum tubes (low hum). But.... I don't see an end to MP3 or apple tunes for a resurgence to the OLD days of spinning records. Rarely... if ever does technology ever turn back the clock.

The appreciation of steel among serious cyclists could last for as long as with have cyclist (or bicycles). But steel will never return as the dominate bicycle material. And carbon can't remain on top forever ether... but carbon will never likely hold a place as number two.

I can't guess or predict what new material will replace carbon fiber. But as sure as sales drop low enough... big name bicycle makers will come up with something stronger... and maybe even lighter... as well as cheaper.
I'm sticking with steel bikes and MP3 files.
Old 05-05-15, 07:03 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon will only get better and less expensive. Unlike many other materials it is early in its development overall and has an open-ended future. Unlike heat fused round tubes CF can be designed and tuned intricately and it will only become better as time passes.
Old 05-05-15, 07:08 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,485 Posts
Carbon is the only material that can be selectibly formed. This allows certain areas to be stronger while the rest stays light. It also allows for aero shaping.

Nothing else can match the weight but will be in readily important with the UCI limit lowered.
Old 05-05-15, 07:13 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
CF rules not because it is the "latest-greatest", it rules on merit. It will only get cheaper to the point where there will be nothing else.

Last edited by popeye; 05-05-15 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 05-05-15, 07:19 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by transporterjr
When people care about end of life cycle recyclability, I guess.
Steel (or aluminum bike) strip the tires, throw in the metal bin at the dump and it gets turned back into steel. Of course I'm still riding a 32-33 year old steel bike and I am going to turn my 40 year old Raleigh into a single speed, so I have not reached end of life with those bikes yet.

I did buy a 90's carbon and aluminum bike, but I probably would not buy a new carbon fiber bike.
I'm trying to feel guilty but I only have a aluminum and a carbon fiber bike. If I keep that bike or, more to the point, it remains undamaged, should I worry about its end of life? It's less than 2 lbs of carbon fiber.
Old 05-05-15, 07:22 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,207 Times in 1,485 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I mean, there has been a slow resurgence, but when do you think it will pick up speed?
I don't see a slow resurgence with anything except maybe hand built custom steel. Those are in very small numbers.

Carbon has been around for 20 years and it keeps growing. It's hard to find a mid to high end bike in anything but carbon. If you don't mind no name Chinese, carbon doesn't cost more than anything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.