Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 12:34 AM
Cody Broken

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by godogs3
Ha. When I first got the bike, I did a search on the web to find out more about it. All I got was information on vacuum cleaners.
https://www.mielebicycles.com/
Old 03-23-08, 08:29 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I got my new ride back in January, but I didn't take an official "Drivetrain Side in Front of a White Garage Door" picture until after yesterday's ride.

Surly Cross-Check Complete
Generic stem (shorter and taller rise than stock stem)
Brooks B.17 saddle
Trans-It rear rack with Nashbar Elite rack trunk
Nashbar canti-mount front rack
SKS P-45 fenders with full mudflaps
Conti Ultra Gatorskin 28mm tires

(currently awaiting delivery of...)
FSA 34t chainring
SRAM PG970 11-32 cassette

Old 03-23-08, 09:52 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice, Clifton.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 03-24-08, 02:43 AM
RayLee

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
My new ride

I still like to "cruise" around the city on a full sus mountain bike for fun I like stairs, drops and general recklessness on the weekends when Pittsburgh is deserted but when I have a longer distance to cover and need to pay attention to traffic its no fun hauling it around so I found what is turning out to be a great everyday bike (not as scared to lock it up downtown either)

Its a Marin Muirwoods 29er, simple rigid steel framed bike with 40c commuter tires (room for big fatties if I need more "bounce", the front chain rings feel kinda tinfoil like so when I kill them I will convert it to a 1x8

Ray
Old 03-24-08, 08:42 AM
mobilechimp
Dudebroguy

Bikes: Custom Quiring MTB, Surly Cross Check, Jamis Steel MTB (ca. 1997)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will be my first year commuting. 90's Jamis steel mtb frame and a mix of used and new parts. Complete with fancy Easter flowers for the moms.
Old 03-24-08, 10:24 AM
BikEthan
JRA.

Bikes: '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IRO singlespeed/fixed, flip flop hub. It's odd as it's still "my single speed" in my mind but this bike started out as a conversion about 10 years ago and I've replaced/upgraded the bike so many times that it's literally not the same bike anymore. I've gone through 4 frames in that time.
2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)
Old 03-24-08, 07:49 PM
SoreAss

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mobilechimp

This will be my first year commuting. 90's Jamis steel mtb frame and a mix of used and new parts. Complete with fancy Easter flowers for the moms.
What a great looking bike. Nice color. Did you paint it?
Old 03-25-08, 12:22 AM
Cody Broken

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RayLee
I still like to "cruise" around the city on a full sus mountain bike for fun I like stairs, drops and general recklessness on the weekends when Pittsburgh is deserted but when I have a longer distance to cover and need to pay attention to traffic its no fun hauling it around so I found what is turning out to be a great everyday bike (not as scared to lock it up downtown either)

Its a Marin Muirwoods 29er, simple rigid steel framed bike with 40c commuter tires (room for big fatties if I need more "bounce", the front chain rings feel kinda tinfoil like so when I kill them I will convert it to a 1x8

Ray
That's a sweet run-about bike there, ray of the run-on sentences. I agree with you that cheap Truvative crankset will be the first thing to fail you, or just plain get on your nerves.
Old 03-25-08, 07:32 AM
mobilechimp
Dudebroguy

Bikes: Custom Quiring MTB, Surly Cross Check, Jamis Steel MTB (ca. 1997)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoreAss
What a great looking bike. Nice color. Did you paint it?
Thanks! I did not paint it, a guy here in Michigan painted it and built it up. He did a great job, looks great and rides great.
Old 03-25-08, 07:55 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

My Concord Freedom Deluxe...Selecta 1
I think it weighs about 25 pounds or so, I am waiting for my Surly Steamroller to come in this week. Here is a shot of my lovely singlespeed at Higgins Beach in ME

Old 03-25-08, 09:55 AM
referee54

Bikes: Just a Raleigh C-200 with many upgrades

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You folks sure do have much nicer bikes than I do---i am almost ashamed to show what I ride---a Raleigh C-200 with a few upgrades. But is does get me to school and back, and in the summer I ride it for fun and to get me to and from my part-time job. I am buying a new headlight this week--I have two sets of flashing LED's in the back. I ride with a reflective vest on, too.

Old 03-25-08, 03:59 PM
road_rascal
What member?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bicycle

Pretty basic '03 Giant Cypress DX with the usual farkles: rack, Nashbar panniers and Banjo Brothers top bag, fenders, 2 blinkies, bar end mirror, Planet Bike headlight, computer and GPS.

Last edited by road_rascal; 03-30-08 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-25-08, 06:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Got a better picture of the Kuwahara today, now equipped with the Mags 3000 anti theft system, and drop bars.

Old 03-25-08, 10:27 PM
soreyes

Bikes: 2010 LHT, 2019 Kona Rove NRB, 07 Nashbar 853 Signature, Sundeal V2 mini velo, 1991 Fisher HKII

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Got a better picture of the Kuwahara today, now equipped with the Mags 3000 anti theft system, and drop bars.

nice dirt drops
Old 03-25-08, 11:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by soreyes
nice dirt drops
Those drops are Sakae Randonneur bars and to make things even more fun, the bike is a fixed gear. It's a great commuter in fair our foul weather and a blast to ride on the city's trails which can often be part of my commute.
Old 03-26-08, 10:27 AM
johnnyburst79
Dance or bike, hmmmm

Bikes: Miyata Nimbus with SRAM Rival crank, Shimano derailler, and various other upgrades

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is ~ 1 mile so and for grocery store trips I do put on a rack. But this is how I usually roll. It is a Miyata Nimbus with new crank, rear wheel, and tires. The stickers are for Burners without Borders.

Old 03-26-08, 12:25 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a beater

I saw this 70s Western Auto 3-speed on the sidewalk of a pawn shop. Guy was asking $75 and I got it for $60. Probably not worth it but its functional. I bought the wald front basket, bell, a set of blinkies, some new rubber, mr tuffys, and steel-wooled the rust spots away. For ~$140 I now have a short trip beater that I won't have to worry about being stolen. Should be great for things like going to the movies or to a pub where I have to leave my bike alone for a few hours at a time, as long as its near my house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2457.JPG (70.9 KB, 219 views)
Old 03-26-08, 12:34 PM
toThinkistoBe
Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bracket for my pump broke so its held on by a Velcro strap. They're sending me a free one (YAY!) and I think I'm going to mount it in front of the rear wheel. I'm pretty sure it was broken by the handlebars/barend shifters hitting the pump and creating a moment on the bracket.

I know everyone will be jealous of my two different colored tires, but a simple "that's awesome" or "you rule" will suffice over lengthy comments praising my bike's fashionable fashion.

Oh yeah, and that backpack rules, so I will be accepting praise on behalf of Mr. bug.

Old 03-27-08, 09:16 PM
Jeffbeerman2

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toThinkistoBe
Bracket for my pump broke so its held on by a Velcro strap. They're sending me a free one (YAY!) and I think I'm going to mount it in front of the rear wheel. I'm pretty sure it was broken by the handlebars/barend shifters hitting the pump and creating a moment on the bracket.

I know everyone will be jealous of my two different colored tires, but a simple "that's awesome" or "you rule" will suffice over lengthy comments praising my bike's fashionable fashion.

Oh yeah, and that backpack rules, so I will be accepting praise on behalf of Mr. bug.

Great bike. Sweet setup. I'm always jealous of touring bikes when I see the geometry in a pic like that. Is the grass really greener when you don't have any toe overlap or heel strike? I know it is. You even neglected to trim the front fender struts back just to rub it in, didn't you? If I found a frame like that I'd buy it in a second and move all of my gear over to it.

I think Specialized puts those stupid red sidewalls on their 'dillo tires to make you buy a pair. I think they just make people buy different tires. No one would even consider them if they weren't so bulletproof.

Could you post a review of that bag sometime with pics? How much stuff can you get in there and have room for a helmet? How quickly does it convert from on-the-bike to on-your-back, and vice versa? I've considered one of them in the past, but the price is scary. Is it made in a country with decent labor/environmental practices?

Last edited by Jeffbeerman2; 03-27-08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 11:07 PM
knatchwa
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More great shots, I like the ocean backdrop there. Where was that taken?
Old 03-28-08, 06:40 AM
toThinkistoBe
Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
You even neglected to trim the front fender struts back just to rub it in, didn't you?
I left them as is in case I ever want to move the fenders to a different frame with bigger tires or something. Every once in a while I will hit one of them (that's how I lost the little rubber end covers), but that's very rare and mostly just when I push off with the front wheel at an extreme angle.

Could you post a review of that bag sometime with pics?
Definitely. When I first got the bag I fully intended to do so, I just kinda forgot about it. I'll make myself a note to do it when I have a chance (maybe this weekend).

How quickly does it convert from on-the-bike to on-your-back, and vice versa?
No more than a minute or two. It literally comes off the rack in like 2 seconds, then you un-velcro the two pieces that cover the shoulder straps, velcro them back, and wedge the bungee and hook into the part that mounts onto the rack. Very fast and easy. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures when I do my little review.

I've considered one of them in the past, but the price is scary.
No kidding. I think it was the guarantee that finally did it for me. I would not usually buy a backpack for more than $20 or so but this should last pretty much forever and is very versatile. The bag came with a sample swatch of the fabric used that was precut with a 1-2 inch slit. The accompanying material said "are you strong enough to rip it?" I haven't found anyone who could.

Originally Posted by arkel guarantee
In black and white it sounds like that: lifetime, transferable, no receipt needed guarantee on the workmanship (meaning the product has no inherent defect to it), stitching (meaning NO stitching will ever rip), aluminum hooks, locking swivels, nuts and screws, plus the inner stiffening backplate. When you think about it, it covers about everything. None of these pieces will ever break. And if one should, you can be sure that we’ll replace it!!!
Old 03-29-08, 07:22 PM
The Mechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
restored commuter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
schwinn.jpg (91.5 KB, 363 views)
Old 03-29-08, 07:53 PM
FraAngelico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Mechanic
restored commuter
handsome bike
Old 03-29-08, 09:42 PM
knatchwa
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all of them nice bikes ... glad to know you are out there riding.
Old 03-30-08, 05:58 AM
caldini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a big white garage door to put my bike against for the pic, but I do have a small white front door.

This is my current commuter, a fairly old Specialized Rockhopper that I bought off my dad several years ago. Completely stripped it down a few years back and built it back up with a few new parts. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to the Internet at that time, and my lack of bike knowledge has left me with an interesting mix of components. For example XTR rear derailleur and Alivio front derailleur. You can definitely tell the difference in quality!

Accessories:
* 2 x Lumicycle halogen headlights with bottle battery (highly recommended)
* Cateye front blinkie and LD-1100 rear light
* Topeak wedge pack
* Carradice Bike Bureau

(Soon to be replaced by a Dawes Super Galaxy 2008 for touring and commuting.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.