Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Do gravel tires feel a lot slower to you than road tires?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Do gravel tires feel a lot slower to you than road tires?

Old 10-22-18, 12:15 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Your post was helped clarify what I wasn't understanding and also raised some interesting points. Have you seen the more recent Bicycle Quarterly testing? I have my own issues with their testing but it does help provide a rounder, more real world viewpoint. I also found this test extremely interesting from a few months ago: https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/fro...-gravel_468329

It uses purely PSI which is less than ideal, but as far as real world dirt roll down testing it's one of the few I've seen. Without reporting sag numbers as a reasonable facsimile to suppleness there's still a massive blind spot.
Shoot, I want to see that, but the page it brings me to has one short 39 second video with an explanation of the roller test design, but no indication of how to access the rest of the article.