Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel bike on the road

Old 10-12-18, 03:16 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Depends what you are doing. If I am doing a 20-30mph group ride (peaking ~40), tire weight makes a difference. I do ride 28 and 32mm tires - not a huge difference - although the 28s are ligher and and more aero (at 40mph, that helps!). My goal is not to get dropped, lol. And 28mm GP S4000 are super cush, and measure out at 31mm on on my 22mm (ID) rims. light and fast.

If I'm riding solo, 32mm works fine (although with these specific conti tires, 28 and 32mm are not that different). Agreed - with my 28mm tires that measure 27mm (4mm narrower than the GP4S in 28mm) - well that is a bit narrow.

I saw a guy in front of me with super narrow tires. I laughed when I realized he was running 25mm tires (on narrow rims) where I had the same tire in 28mm tires and wider rims - huge difference in width on this tire.
Old 10-12-18, 03:50 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pfft I get dropped with a 25c on those kind of rides. So.... I might as well just run a 38c slick.. haha
Old 10-13-18, 02:20 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
True, lol.
In the velodrome, if I get dropped I can catch back on 15 seconds later.

Funny though, Although I have tried many times, I don't think I have ever successfully done it. If I blow up, I certainly don't have the reserve for that kind of power jump.
Old 10-14-18, 08:09 PM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Ti, Litespeed Obed, Cannondale T2 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtydozen View Post
How well does your gravel bike on a very good condition flat road ?

I have a nice deal on a gravel bike, i won't do gravel a lot tho.

If you put 28's (or even 25 if they fit in) on a gravel bike, does it make it equivalent to a real road bike ?

Roads are quite bumpy where i live so i would gain in confort, but when i'm in a city the roads are clean, will I lose speed compared to a real road bike?

thanks
Here's my gravel bike with road wheels/tires. It's a pleasure to ride on pavement!