Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Old 04-15-19, 01:48 AM
HLW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaPau View Post
Hi Jamis Renegade owners!

Could anyone confirm that the picture on the official Jamis site for the Expat model is a 54 frame (or even smaller).

It should be estimable when looking at the Head Tube length for someone who has one of this size.

[can't add the image here because I just subscribed here]

I'm asking this because I can't decide between the 56 and 58 frame size.

So I try to scale to fit and overlay the images in a graphic program to get a feeling about the frame in comparison with my actual bike.

(overlaying the semi-transparent images to see the difference in the geometry)

When I do this with the image from the jamis site it seems to small to fit me. (which is normal when it is a 54 frame).

I've tried to search for other undistorted side-view images and found one claiming to be a 58 frame size which than seems to big for me.

I don't have the real measurements of my actual bike, it's a very old road bike and I am a bit scared that I don't do it right when measuring it with a tape.

I'm 180cm (5'11') with an inseam of 84cm (33''). I guess both the 56 and the 58 should fit my size.

But thing is, ideally, my new bike should have just a little bit more reach than my actual bike has.(seems to be around 370mm - but again I am not totally sure where to measure exactly - the stem is shaped completely different etc.)

Thanks if anyone can recognize the frame size of the image on the jamis web page.

I'll give you the best fit rundown I can. The Expat on the Jamis site looks like a 54. My Expat is a 56. In the pics below I set it back up as close to stock as I can (90mm stem and 2cm of spacer below the stem) so you can get an idea of how it will fit on the sales floor. I'm 5'10" with a 89cm inseam, I generally run my saddle 77-78cm depending on riding conditions. Saddle height is 77cm from top of saddle to center of the bottom bracket in the pictures. I have 7.5cm of saddle setback. This setup has a saddle to bar measurement of 53cm and a saddle to bar drop of 4.5cm. This is as neutral of a position as I can give you, hope it helps. This is what I look like on the bike in "stock" mode.

The 56 will provide you with the most versatility in terms of fit. I test rode the 58 and the only reason I would ever ride it is if I needed to get my handlebar at or above saddle height. If the bike you have now really only has 370mm of reach then both sizes will feel longer, but the 58 will feel huge. A few things that would help with fit are your current saddle height, how much saddle to bar drop you want, how much saddle setback and the distance from the nose of your saddle to the middle of your bar. Are you looking for a more/less aggressive position than the one above? If you scroll through the thread you can see two setups I've used. The 650b is much more relaxed for trail/gravel and the current setup a few posts back is 2cm longer and 2.5cm lower than the one above. Below is a pic of the bike itself for your reference.
Likes For HLW:
Old 04-15-19, 05:06 AM
MichaPau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much HLW for your information and time to take the photos, that helps a lot.
[Can't quote your post because I am yet not allowed to do so as a new member]

It confirms my preference for the 56 frame.
The position looks good to me. Actually the distance between the saddle and the bar drop is a little lower on my bike but I have 4-5 cm shorter legs so that will smoothen that out little.
The reach seems perfect because I am good on my bike when commuting but my body starts wanting to move back an inch when riding on longer straight roads. So the 2-3cm more reach should give me that.

I just wait til tomorrow before ordering, because I found a dealer nearby selling the Breezer Inversion Pro which was my second choice but is more expensive.
I think the Rengade Expat is the best choice but I want, at least, take a look before the final decision.

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-19, 06:48 PM
Kajun1987

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just hopped on the Jamis Renegade train. Snagged a brand new 2018 Expert (white) off of eBay. Got it for quite a bit off retail price. Hope everything goes well, as I have never really used eBay all that much.
Old 04-18-19, 07:41 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are a Renegade Dealer. From what you say, I would think the 56 is likely a better fit as well.
Old 04-20-19, 12:41 PM
MichaPau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider View Post
We are a Renegade Dealer. From what you say, I would think the 56 is likely a better fit as well.
Yes thanks, I went with the 56 frame.
I have to wait now that it is delivered...
Old 04-28-19, 12:31 PM
MichaPau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HLW View Post
I'll give you the best fit rundown I can. The Expat on the Jamis site looks like a 54. My Expat is a 56. In the pics below I set it back up as close to stock as I can (90mm stem and 2cm of spacer below the stem) so you can get an idea of how it will fit on the sales floor. I'm 5'10" with a 89cm inseam, I generally run my saddle 77-78cm depending on riding conditions. Saddle height is 77cm from top of saddle to center of the bottom bracket in the pictures. I have 7.5cm of saddle setback. This setup has a saddle to bar measurement of 53cm and a saddle to bar drop of 4.5cm. This is as neutral of a position as I can give you, hope it helps. This is what I look like on the bike in "stock" mode.

The 56 will provide you with the most versatility in terms of fit. I test rode the 58 and the only reason I would ever ride it is if I needed to get my handlebar at or above saddle height. If the bike you have now really only has 370mm of reach then both sizes will feel longer, but the 58 will feel huge. A few things that would help with fit are your current saddle height, how much saddle to bar drop you want, how much saddle setback and the distance from the nose of your saddle to the middle of your bar. Are you looking for a more/less aggressive position than the one above? If you scroll through the thread you can see two setups I've used. The 650b is much more relaxed for trail/gravel and the current setup a few posts back is 2cm longer and 2.5cm lower than the one above. Below is a pic of the bike itself for your reference.
Thanks again for the information!

The bike arrived two days ago and I am very happy with the size and position and everything. I just rode like 15 km but the first impression is very nice.

It came with 4 spacers on the steam, I see yours has them as well, I put the two little ones above the steam, to lower the position a little bit.

Funny fact, it was assembled by 'Evans cycles' in the UK. All the English bikes have the rear brake lever on the left side. They are even forced to do so by law. I didn't know that! I guess I will switch them back
Old 04-30-19, 02:51 AM
Nobody12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No eyelets

I recently ordered a new 2017 Renegade Expat. It was a "photo bike." I chose it over a new Diverge, in large part because of the front (fork) eyelets. Despite including front eyelets in the description, and all examples I've seen online including front eyelets, the model I received does not have them. Fork paint looks the same. What gives?
Old 04-30-19, 03:55 PM
shelbyfv

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Well, if it doesn't have them, it doesn't have them.... Maybe ask Jamis if you can buy a fork, or return the bike and get one that suits you better. "Specification subject to change" is often mentioned. Good luck!
Old 05-12-19, 11:05 AM
Kajun1987

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat clamp issue

I just received my brand new jamis and tried to adjust the height of the seat before i gave it a test drive. While doing so the clamp that secures it fell into the down tube Of the bike. I canít get it to shake out and canít even see it with a flash light. Has anyone ever had this issue before ?

i have a 2018 expert if that helps?

thanks in advance !
Old 05-15-19, 10:50 PM
valve_timing

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size fender did you use 45mm ?
Originally Posted by HLW View Post
I posted my 650b conversion on the thread awhile back, but recently converted back to 700c for commuting/wet weather riding. I miss the larger volume of the 650's but the narrower tire is a lot faster on the paved routes I'm riding these days. I also have to say I was wrong about the handling being overly stable with a 700c wheelset in my first post. At the time my handlebar was too wide, stem too short and bar too high. A more aggressive roadie setup has made a huge improvement. I'm jealous all you guys in the thread with the 2018 Exploit. The silver/grey frame looks awesome.

I noticed you're also running a set of Handsome Mud Butlers. I'm still getting a lot of spray around the bottom bracket and was wondering what you made your flap out of. Is it just a piece of rubber mat or did you adapt a flap made for another brand?
Old 05-19-19, 12:06 AM
HLW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes handsome mud butler 45. max tire I could fit was a slick Compass Bon Jon which measured out to 37-38 on a 25 internal diameter rim, but on anything with tread I couldn't go past the 36mm clement/donelley mso's that came on the bike. since the fenders are metal I was able to shape them a little to gain some additional clearance. This is the only model fender I've tried, so results with a plastic fender of the same size my be different.