Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

All City Cosmic Stallion

Old 08-08-17, 10:14 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My new Cosmic Stallion was delivered yesterday to the shop where I work. I built it up in stock configuration and weighed it. Not a lightweight bike, but not bad for a steel bike at this level.

06 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

The fork came with an uncut steerer with room for up to 65mm of spacers in addition to the stem. I set it up with a 100mm 30 degree stem and 30mm of spacers and it fits me beatifully, very close to how my AWOL fit. A low rise stem would look beter, but that's life with a neck that won't bend much.

12 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

I've only had time for a couple of short rides on my home dirt road route. So far I'm very pleased with the ride, the handling and the fit. The stock gearing is not as low as I want, but it should improve when I change the crank to a 46/30. I also plan to change wheels, but I'll first have to get an 11 speed freehub for the DT 240 hub on my Roval Carbon wheels. I'll give a more detailed ride report once I get some good miles on the bike. So far, so good.

dd3 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

dd2 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 08-08-17, 10:55 AM
shoota 

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
My new Cosmic Stallion was delivered yesterday to the shop where I work. I built it up in stock configuration and weighed it. Not a lightweight bike, but not bad for a steel bike at this level.

I've only had time for a couple of short rides on my home dirt road route. So far I'm very pleased with the ride, the handling and the fit. The stock gearing is not as low as I want, but it should improve when I change the crank to a 46/30.
Yeah not as light as I was expecting but not bad for a stock build. Those are some fairly heavy components I see there.
Old 08-08-17, 05:38 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am extremely close to pulling the trigger on this bike, and aside from the coin I'd have to shell out for it, the gold paint is what's holding me back. I'm already planning to downsize my stable by 3-4 bikes this fall, so that takes care of the price part, but that GOLD...I had an "old gold" Soma cross bike a few years back, and I was never crazy about the color.

What I really like about the bike, aside from the steel and whatnot, is the road gearing, lower BB, and 3 sets of bottle mounts. I find myself doing more road riding than anything these days, but having a bike that could fill that niche AND my gravel/cross bike slot is appealing to me.
Old 08-08-17, 05:39 PM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Yeah not as light as I was expecting but not bad for a stock build. Those are some fairly heavy components I see there.
Not bad for a frame that large. My size would be in the 22lb range. About in line with aluminum bikes.
Old 08-09-17, 08:41 AM
shoota 

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtbnomore View Post
I am extremely close to pulling the trigger on this bike, and aside from the coin I'd have to shell out for it, the gold paint is what's holding me back. I'm already planning to downsize my stable by 3-4 bikes this fall, so that takes care of the price part, but that GOLD...I had an "old gold" Soma cross bike a few years back, and I was never crazy about the color.

What I really like about the bike, aside from the steel and whatnot, is the road gearing, lower BB, and 3 sets of bottle mounts. I find myself doing more road riding than anything these days, but having a bike that could fill that niche AND my gravel/cross bike slot is appealing to me.
Then take a good long look here.

Flaanimal 3.0 adventure bike - Rodeo Adventure Labs, LLCRodeo Adventure Labs, LLC
Old 08-21-17, 08:47 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Here's a

As for my own impressions, I'm liking the bike more each time I ride it. I find the ride and handling to be very comfortable and neutral. Not quick and snappy like a cross bike and not as sedate as my AWOL. The bike rides down fast gravel descents with confidence, holding its line, but responds to steering inputs to avoid limbs, rocks and potholes. I'm much happier with the gearing since I swapped the 50/34 stock crankset for the 46/30 of my Sugino OX601D, still combined with the stock 11-32 cassette.

I am still running the stock wheels and tires and have been fortunate enough to have had no flats with the tubed tires. I have been delayed in using my carbon Roval wheels until I change the freehub to a 11 speed version. I'll likely first go with the 650B dynamo hub wheels I just finished building once I get a pair of WTB Byway 650Bx47mm roadplus tires.

Here is the bike after riding the Red Clay Ramble last weekend. I'm thinking of getting a frame bag to fill that huge space between the top tube and the water bottles. I'm definitely planning to do some light bikepacking on this bike.

024 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 08-22-17, 08:23 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Nice update, that's a good looking bike.
Old 08-22-17, 10:09 AM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I like that bike.
Old 08-22-17, 05:40 PM
ColonelSanders

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

06 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

The fork came with an uncut steerer with room for up to 65mm of spacers in addition to the stem. I set it up with a 100mm 30 degree stem and 30mm of spacers and it fits me beatifully, very close to how my AWOL fit. A low rise stem would look beter, but that's life with a neck that won't bend much.

12 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

I've only had time for a couple of short rides on my home dirt road route. So far I'm very pleased with the ride, the handling and the fit. The stock gearing is not as low as I want, but it should improve when I change the crank to a 46/30. I also plan to change wheels, but I'll first have to get an 11 speed freehub for the DT 240 hub on my Roval Carbon wheels. I'll give a more detailed ride report once I get some good miles on the bike. So far, so good.

Man, seeing this photo really makes me want to switch from oiling my chain to waxing my chain, ASAP.
Old 08-22-17, 05:54 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
Man, seeing this photo really makes me want to switch from oiling my chain to waxing my chain, ASAP.
I use a wet lube, sparingly, and wipe my chain clean through a dry rag after most every ride. I've always found wax lubes to be too fussy.
Old 08-22-17, 07:03 PM
ColonelSanders

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I use a wet lube, sparingly, and wipe my chain clean through a dry rag after most every ride. I've always found wax lubes to be too fussy.

The initial process to strip the chain of lube can be a bit of a chore, but after that is done, one can use a drip lube product like Squirt, if they don't want to heat up paraffin wax in a crockpot and dip the chain.

I had to take off the wheel on one of my bikes this morning and I just got black gunk all over my hand, so my desire to switch to wax is growing rapidly.
Old 08-22-17, 09:16 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
As for my own impressions, I'm liking the bike more each time I ride it. I find the ride and handling to be very comfortable and neutral. Not quick and snappy like a cross bike and not as sedate as my AWOL. The bike rides down fast gravel descents with confidence, holding its line, but responds to steering inputs to avoid limbs, rocks and potholes. I'm much happier with the gearing since I swapped the 50/34 stock crankset for the 46/30 of my Sugino OX601D, still combined with the stock 11-32 cassette.
How are you liking the Cowbell bars?
Old 08-23-17, 10:06 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
How are you liking the Cowbell bars?
My go to gravel bar. I've been riding on Cowbells for 5 years on three different bikes.
Old 08-25-17, 09:52 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Big Block, Salsa Vaya, Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my name is ssppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace space horse!
Old 09-19-17, 10:03 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Today I rode my Cosmic Stallion (Bojack Horseman) with the new road plus wheels I built for it. WTB Frequency i23 650B rims with WTB Byway 650Bx47mm tires. I love the look and they rolled great. It will take more rides to fully assess how they compare to 700c wheels and tires, but the initial impression is good. FWIW, I had my second best times (out of 70) for two Strava segments along the way.

P1030675 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

P1030679 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

P1030680 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

P1030681 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

P1030682 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 09-19-17, 10:24 PM
ColonelSanders

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Today I rode my Cosmic Stallion (Bojack Horseman) with the new road plus wheels I built for it. WTB Frequency i23 650B rims with WTB Byway 650Bx47mm tires. I love the look and they rolled great. It will take more rides to fully assess how they compare to 700c wheels and tires, but the initial impression is good. FWIW, I had my second best times (out of 70) for two Strava segments along the way.

It goes without saying that your bike looks great, but I am really impressed with those rims you have chosen.

The WTB Frequency rims are on my short list of top notch rims to use in a wheel build.
Old 09-19-17, 10:53 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
It goes without saying that your bike looks great, but I am really impressed with those rims you have chosen.

The WTB Frequency rims are on my short list of top notch rims to use in a wheel build.
I can say that they built up very easily (round and true) and they were super easy to set up tubeless with the WTB tires and 2 layers of WTB tape (same as Stan's). I pumped them up with a floor pump before adding sealant and they held air for a few hours before I added 2 oz. of Orange Seal Endurance and again pumped them up with a floor pump to 40psi which they held overnight. I ran them at 27.5 rear and 22.5 front on the ride and plan to try a bit lower.
Old 04-05-18, 06:58 PM
shakey start

Bikes: Parlee Chebacco for now

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any updates on the Stallion?
What about any issues with the component mix?
Old 04-06-18, 03:54 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I love the design and paint job of this bike, but $2,600 for (admittedly nice) house brand steel, Rival and standard Novatec/WTB wheels? Seems a bit steep, especially when the regular Space Horse is available.
Old 04-06-18, 08:46 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah but that weight is on par with all the entry level gravel aluminum bikes, Jari, crossrip, renegade, GT grade, etc.... and you are steel.

For the Cosmic Stallion fans.... I'll drop this link here.

Bike Feature: All-City Cosmic Stallion + the Cantu Riot 650b Gravel Wheels-Cantu Cycling Wheels
Old 04-07-18, 12:07 PM
jnrobinson95

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shakey start View Post
Any updates on the Stallion?
What about any issues with the component mix?
My biggest issue with the stock components is the SRAM S-390 crankset. It uses a SRAM 4-bolt asymmetric 110 mm BCD bolt pattern which SRAM has so far only released 1x x-sync rings for.

Moreover, SRAM still hasn't listed the S-390 for sale anywhere or even acknowledged its existence outside of some frame fit spec sheets I found after googling furiously. I've also messaged them on Facebook about buying chainrings for it and they've been very cagey about it.

Basically, if you ever bash or wear out a ring on this crankset you are stuck buying a whole new crankset (from a different manufacturer most likely), which is pretty garbage.
Old 04-08-18, 09:45 AM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
yeah but that weight is on par with all the entry level gravel aluminum bikes, Jari, crossrip, renegade, GT grade, etc.... and you are steel.

For the Cosmic Stallion fans.... I'll drop this link here.

Bike Feature: All-City Cosmic Stallion + the Cantu Riot 650b Gravel Wheels-Cantu Cycling Wheels
I usually drool over this bike, but those are some seriously @$$ ugly rims.
Old 04-08-18, 01:42 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 8939 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Stupid bike stole my stage name
Old 04-09-18, 08:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I love the design and paint job of this bike, but $2,600 for (admittedly nice) house brand steel, Rival and standard Novatec/WTB wheels? Seems a bit steep, especially when the regular Space Horse is available.
Reading between the lines, that steel seems comparable to Reynolds 853, which is probably the best steel available in a bike frame.
Old 04-09-18, 12:05 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Reading between the lines, that steel seems comparable to Reynolds 853, which is probably the best steel available in a bike frame.
As I said it's "admittedly nice" steel. The fact that it's house brand remains, though. Not that "house brand" matters at all from a practical perspective...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.