Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

All-City Gorilla Monsoon steel "monster cross” bike w/ clearance for 27.5 x 2.4 tires

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

All-City Gorilla Monsoon steel "monster cross” bike w/ clearance for 27.5 x 2.4 tires

Old 02-28-18, 10:25 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
...it may be time to fully examine the meaning of "Gorilla Monsoon". Since I brought it up, I'll let someone else go first...
Baseball announcers during a rain break on the field:

Announcer 1: Well folks, it's raining cats and dogs out here, with no sign of letting up anytime soon. This storm just came up out of nowhere. The sky has turned as dark as night.

Announcer 2: This is the heaviest downpour I've ever seen. Raining cats and dogs doesn't even begin to describe this, Jim. This is a GORILLA MONSOON!"

Old 02-28-18, 02:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Most of their bike names are derived from wrestling. Not sure about the space horse though. But it always makes me think of the Space Coyote episode of The Simpsons where Johnny Cash voices a character in Homer's hallucination.
I bought a Space Horse because it sounds like something you'd see on an acid trip.

But now I want a Cosmic Stallion. Always looking for a better high, I guess.
Old 03-01-18, 09:49 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I like most of All City's offerings, especially the Cosmic Stallion, the Electric Queen and this one. Steel, reasonable pricing, practicality emphasized, nice details and thoughtful designs. These are bikes made for bike shop employees. I do wonder about the somewhat similar markets that QBP plays in with Salsa and Surly. These three companies seem to design and sell bikes to the same group of people.
Old 03-01-18, 05:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Gorilla Monsoon was indeed a wrestler and later became lead commentator for WWF.

He was known for deadpan humor.

Robert Marella
6/4/37 – 10/6/99

Old 03-01-18, 08:11 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Whatever kind of bike you want to call this, there were an assload of similar bikes at the recent NAHBS. I think it's a cool bike and if I didn't already have an Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar bike, this would be a good candidate for the slot in my lineup for multi-surface excursions that are likely to include sections too rough to comfortably tackle on my Cosmic Stallion.

IMG_20180205_175105101 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

P1030679 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 03-05-18, 05:49 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess the 61mm cutoff must be true, because Surly only says 650bx60mm tires for the Midnight Special. If you put anything fatter on there it may explode.
Old 05-16-18, 02:04 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Picked up my 55cm frame on Mon night, have been riding for two days now - such a great ride! Mon late night and Tue was all pavement as it rained a bit and I did not want to ruin the trails.
Today in the morning I hit some trails - all in all I have a feeling that my pretty big stable will be collecting dust for a while, GM is such a fun bike to ride. Responsive and stable without feeling slow or heavy.
Surely tires attribute to it just swallowing the road, potholes and cracks almost seize to exist - cushy ride but still plenty of feedback from the road and trail.
Plenty of braze-ons, fork crown to die for and I have to admit - thru axles have their merits
Still in the mail - orange brake cable housing, Hope floating rotors in blue to match hope hubs, supacaz black/orange bartape, couple more blue headset spacers and blue seat post colar.
Other than that - all done, build came out to ~25 lbs with pedals:
Shimano 105 5800 shifters with tanpan to XT 11S RD and cassette, 11-42
RaceFace cinch crank, 36T chainring, Chris King BB
Salsa Cowshipper handlebar, Hope headset and spacers, Thomson stem and seatpost, Brooks C17 saddle
Hope wheelset, TRP road brakes, Schwalbe G-One 27.5x2.35 tires with Schwalbe tubes
Matching yellow and orange valve caps :-) - pure accident but I like it

Old 05-16-18, 06:53 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by mongol777
Picked up my 55cm frame on Mon night, have been riding for two days now - such a great ride! Mon late night and Tue was all pavement as it rained a bit and I did not want to ruin the trails.
Today in the morning I hit some trails - all in all I have a feeling that my pretty big stable will be collecting dust for a while, GM is such a fun bike to ride. Responsive and stable without feeling slow or heavy.
Surely tires attribute to it just swallowing the road, potholes and cracks almost seize to exist - cushy ride but still plenty of feedback from the road and trail.
Plenty of braze-ons, fork crown to die for and I have to admit - thru axles have their merits
Still in the mail - orange brake cable housing, Hope floating rotors in blue to match hope hubs, supacaz black/orange bartape, couple more blue headset spacers and blue seat post colar.
Salsa Cowshipper handlebar, Hope headset and spacers, Thomson stem and seatpost, Brooks C17 saddle
Hope wheelset, TRP road brakes, Schwalbe G-One 27.5x2.35 tires with Schwalbe tubes

Looks great.

I love those chubby tyres.
Old 05-16-18, 07:26 PM
mongol777

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Looks great.

I love those chubby tyres.
Thank you! These tires are probably half the magic here. When I originally got them - I used them on 1x1 drop bar build and absolutely loved them. That started me looking for frame alone the lines of GM or Midnight Special. They weren't announced at the time so I started saving for Crust frame. But alas - when GM was announced it was love at first sight and rest is history.
They roll amazingly fast on pavement and hold their own on mild singletrack and 100% of the gravel I ride. Very fast and very comfortable tire. I also have them in 700x40 on my Nature Boy and while it is a nice tire - 650Bx2.35 is the bee's knees in my opinion
Old 05-16-18, 07:37 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Thank you! These tires are probably half the magic here. When I originally got them - I used them on 1x1 drop bar build and absolutely loved them. That started me looking for frame alone the lines of GM or Midnight Special. They weren't announced at the time so I started saving for Crust frame. But alas - when GM was announced it was love at first sight and rest is history.
They roll amazingly fast on pavement and hold their own on mild singletrack and 100% of the gravel I ride. Very fast and very comfortable tire. I also have them in 700x40 on my Nature Boy and while it is a nice tire - 650Bx2.35 is the bee's knees in my opinion
Yeah you really look like you could go anywhere with that bike.

Also like the blue offsets you have gone with in hub choice and headset to complement the orange.
Old 05-16-18, 09:31 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I love that setup. I'm not usually a fade-paint lover but the lbs has one of these in stock and I love it. And I agree, those tires are a riot, I honestly didn't know they existed but I would love to ride them and see how they feel.
Old 05-17-18, 01:29 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
.....That started me looking for frame alone the lines of GM or Midnight Special. They weren't announced at the time so I started saving for Crust frame. .....
New Crust Bombora:- The New Crust Bikes Bombora 27.5 Tourer Fits a 2.4? Tire The Radavist
Old 05-17-18, 04:01 AM
mongol777

Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Yeah, I like Crust frames. I' be happy to ride Romanceur, Lighting Bolt, Bombora or Dreamer - all or one of them in no particular order (Romanceur would probably win :-)). Matt seems like a real good guy, pathlesspedaled has great interview with him,
Old 05-17-18, 04:30 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Gorilla Monsoon was indeed a wrestler and later became lead commentator for WWF.
Several of All City's model names are wrestling inspired. See also Macho Man, Macho King, Nature Boy. I like some of their other names as well. Mr. Pink is from Reservoir Dogs. Log Lady is from Twin Peaks. The brand itself seems to be named after an old school graffiti term for being well known (watch the documentary "Style Wars" on Youtube some time for more.)

https://allcitycycles.com/blog/_sing...ur_model_names

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-17-18 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 05:42 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Love it! Boise State fan?
Old 05-20-18, 09:58 PM
mongol777

Originally Posted by garciawork
no, why?
Old 05-21-18, 06:14 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
why do people place so much emphasize in life on College loyalty or fanship? colleges are not GODS! neither are sports teams.

Just curious....
Old 05-21-18, 06:27 AM
garciawork

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
why do people place so much emphasize in life on College loyalty or fanship? colleges are not GODS! neither are sports teams.

Just curious....
Wow man, calm down. Blue and orange are Boise State's colors, I live near there, so I see it a lot and that is what the bike made me think of. Other than BSU, I don't recall ever seeing the combo in the wild before moving here.

And no, I don't care about college sports in the slightest.
Old 05-21-18, 06:48 AM
mongol777

Wow man, calm down. Blue and orange are Boise State's colors, I live near there, so I see it a lot and that is what the bike made me think of. Other than BSU, I don't recall ever seeing the combo in the wild before moving here.

And no, I don't care about college sports in the slightest.
Ah, got it - no, I am not following sports (with may be some MotoGP as exception).
Just like orange/blue combo in various shades. For me it probably started with Gulf colors of Ford GT. Purple accents were close second for my GM build followed by gold/orange/yellowish
Old 05-21-18, 07:10 AM
garciawork

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Ah, got it - no, I am not following sports (with may be some MotoGP as exception).
Just like orange/blue combo in various shades. For me it probably started with Gulf colors of Ford GT. Purple accents were close second for my GM build followed by gold/orange/yellowish
I see where you are coming from! I honestly didn't consider the GM much, mainly due to the color... I don't like orange or yellow, but love blue/purple/green/white bikes. I picked up one of the previous color scheme RLT steel's last week on sale in the grey/blue, it's going to look good with blue White Ind hubs!

While I am not a fan of orange, I can say yours does look pretty darn good! Purple would certainly have worked quite well also.
Old 05-21-18, 10:12 AM
mongol777

I see where you are coming from! I honestly didn't consider the GM much, mainly due to the color... I don't like orange or yellow, but love blue/purple/green/white bikes. I picked up one of the previous color scheme RLT steel's last week on sale in the grey/blue, it's going to look good with blue White Ind hubs!

While I am not a fan of orange, I can say yours does look pretty darn good! Purple would certainly have worked quite well also.
Thank you! I've been looking for orange bike for a while now. Had orange xcheck but did not work for me so sold it. Was contemplating custom painting one of my frames in something like Molteni orange or buying black mountain cycles road frame but never pulled the trigger. So GM came through just in time :-)
I had opposite color scheme at some point - one of the first gen Rocky Mountain Sherpa's frames. When I got it paint was very rough so I painted it in almost exact blue as Gulf Ford GT and painted stem, other small parts in matching orange. Would like to repeat it at some point as well.
Old 05-21-18, 10:19 AM
mongol777

So it looks like I am getting old and can't rely on my memory anymore :-) I did not paint it blue, was mostly orange
Found Rocky Mountain I mentioned (pardon crap cable routing, I was just getting started with rebuilding bikes)

Old 06-01-18, 09:29 AM
mongol777

Received tires I settled on for GM. Schwalbe G-One All-Round, 27.5x2.8
Mounted on Hope Tech Enduro wheels (rim is 23mm internal) with Conti light tubes
Width at the casing is over 2.5 and at the knobs is just under 2.7
Ride is not much slower compared to G-One speeds but way more grip and control off-road and on gravel.
Pics of clearance - plenty for where I plan to ride. Will probably rub with tubeless setup.

Seatstay

chainstay
Old 06-01-18, 10:35 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
slick! uhh I mean gnarly! they should be a bit more robust/durable too?
Old 06-02-18, 06:55 AM
mongol777

Originally Posted by Metieval
slick! uhh I mean gnarly! they should be a bit more robust/durable too?
Probably, time will tell. Love it so far, roll fast and transition between on and off-road is pretty much seamless. They also do not feel sluggish with low pressure, not even a little bit. And no hum on pavement, they just roll, smooth and fast

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.