Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

My first set of Compass tires, $162.00 waste of money

Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

My first set of Compass tires, $162.00 waste of money

Old 01-12-19, 05:09 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using Compass extralights (black) setup tubeless going on two years now with no issues.
Get the odd thorn or something else. Just pull it out; tyre seals up straightaway.

I do recognize the fragile state of the very thin sidewall though.

My only tyre disaster so far was riding down a short length of highway on Thunder Burt liteskins and I rode over a hand-length of sharp one-inch steel which flicked up and slashed the sidewall.
Had to stitch it up and boot it.

Have found all sorts of things on the side of the road on main roads (which I tend to avoid due to glass/metal etc.).
Old 01-12-19, 09:53 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
There's clearly a trade-off here: creampuff dreamy ride quality for a bit of cut resistance. YMMV.
It's not just the ride quality it's also the speed. Wider tires suffer much more from robust rubber compounds and casing than narrower tires. To have a wider tire that has a chance of rolling as well as a narrower tire the rubber compound has to be very soft, supple and with a specific type of casing.

But I think Compass tires are ok. I rang out a babyshoe pass over 3500 miles tubeless - 20% gravel 5% singletrack. 0 true punctures, when I removed the tire inside I found a variety of thorns, glass, staples and radial tire wires, I think 6-7 in all. I'm currently testing a Grand Bois Hetre and it's already had one puncture that sealed as well as numerous shallow tread cuts - something I didn't see on the BSP.

When I was running tubed tires my first experience with fat 650b I ended up with something like 7 flats over the first 2000 miles on my Hetres. I was pretty miffed at the time. Funny thing was those were the last flats I had. The next 6000 miles on two different Hetres and a BSP were entirely flat free. Then I went tubeless and now it's even better.
Old 01-13-19, 05:06 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, Niner RLT9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmartinek View Post
Bought a set of Bon Jons and 3 flats in 12 miles. They offered a 20% discount on a new tire. That would be good money after bad...
I have a pair of these in the ultra light with a few hundred miles on them - they roll about as well as my GP4000SII tires in a 25mm based on my wattage / speed comparison on the same route and same conditions (flat route 17mph). No flats, cushy ride, I like them.
Old 01-19-19, 01:02 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9085 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post

From their warranty page:

“Compass Bicycles Ltd. shall not be held liable for any indirect, special or consequential damages. There shall be no other warranties, implied or expressed”.
Meh, that doesn't mean squat. You can't hang a sign around your neck saying "I'm not responsible," and then walking around all day killing people and stealing cars. It's either their fault, or it isn't. Their website has no bearing on fault.
Old 01-19-19, 01:28 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Why doesnt everyone just ride Tubulars?
Old 01-19-19, 02:07 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Meh, that doesn't mean squat. You can't hang a sign around your neck saying "I'm not responsible," and then walking around all day killing people and stealing cars. It's either their fault, or it isn't. Their website has no bearing on fault.
Well, it's their stated position, so people buying their stuff should be aware that, legal or not, they're going to have a struggle with claims for incidental damage. You can squat on it if you want, and you and your lawyer can then work on holding them accountable. Seems like it would make more sense to take their stated position into account when making your tire-buying decisions.

I think you'll find that warranty exclusion of incidental damages is pretty common, and not just in the bicycle tire industry.
Old 01-20-19, 05:13 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
based on what I know/have seen of people using all sorts of stuff for tire levers, ghetto tubeless, and stupid extreme tire pressure. and who knows what else, like not paying attention and hitting curbs dead on while riding.

I mean stupidity abounds, cyclist (as a group) are not immune to it.

It makes absolute sense that a tire manufacture would distance themselves from babysitting whomever buys their tires.
Old 01-20-19, 07:33 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9085 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
based on what I know/have seen of people using all sorts of stuff for tire levers, ghetto tubeless, and stupid extreme tire pressure. and who knows what else, like not paying attention and hitting curbs dead on while riding.

I mean stupidity abounds, cyclist (as a group) are not immune to it.

It makes absolute sense that a tire manufacture would distance themselves from babysitting whomever buys their tires.
No doubt. But you're talking about fault on the part of the consumer. Compass was trying to absolve themselves of fauly due to their OWN actions.

I mean this is obviously an extreme example, but if a tire spontaneously explodes and incinerates half the people on a group ride, Compass is responsible for a whole lot more than a replacement tire.
Old 01-20-19, 07:57 AM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No doubt. But you're talking about fault on the part of the consumer. Compass was trying to absolve themselves of fauly due to their OWN actions.

I mean this is obviously an extreme example, but if a tire spontaneously explodes and incinerates half the people on a group ride, Compass is responsible for a whole lot more than a replacement tire.
Maybe. Won't know for sure until the trial is over. My bet is that a warranty refusal to cover consequential damages like a chewed up rim is valid and Compass has no legal obligation in that regard.
Old 01-20-19, 08:03 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tires don't just spontaneously explode!

If that is your argument....
THEN: you first need to prove they never damaged the tire, they never had too much PSI, they never used faulty tire levers, jacks, or anything else. etc......

honestly you really have no idea other than what you were told. None of us do.