Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trailer hitch bike racks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trailer hitch bike racks

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 09:47 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Here's the one I use:

(Picture taken from that link).

Holds two bikes by the wheels and frame. Doesn't care what kind of frame you have, it will hold it straight. By holding the wheels, there is zero chance of them rubbing against your car. Some folds so they can be left on the car when not in used. Some also has a lock on that sliding curved bar on top to prevent opportunistic theft.
I had one of those, the problem is that if you have cables routed along the top of the top tube, you have to pad them so the hook doesn't put pressure on the cable and press them into the top tube. Wearing away the paint, and putting a groove in the metal.
Old 06-06-18, 10:02 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I had a Thule tray mount until I stumbled across a used hanger style for 20 bucks in a second hand store. I didn't need it, but looking at it I figured it would make a great work bench and it has. I don't have the Thule anymore because I'm always using the hanger anyway. It holds both of my bikes and with just one on it I can do all kinds of work on the bike. It also folds up for easy storage. When I'm on the road I use a locking pin on the receiver and a couple of locking cables to secure the bikes to the carrier. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
Old 06-06-18, 01:02 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're looking to do something cheap, I'd look at Craigslist for a good rack from Yakima, Thule, Saris, etc. I found a Thule 2-bike rack that works just fine with my Class-A hitch (it also had adapters for 2") for about $100. They didn't have the key for the bolt, so they gave it to me for $50. Bought a new bolt/lock for $35. So far it's held up great.
Old 04-13-19, 12:02 PM
clarktrainor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clk350

eja_ bottecchia, how dI'd you put yoyr hitch receiver on your CLK350? what type hitch did you use? The system will not allow me to send you a direct message.
Old 04-13-19, 07:11 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I just got a Saris SuperClamp EX for my new car, replacing an old Thule tray rack that was much bulkier and heavier to manage (the Saris is only 35 lbs). It's higher than the price range mentioned, but they have them on sale right now for about $380. Very well designed and will hold two bikes up to 60 lbs each (not a concern for me until my wife recently started talking about an eBike!).

I have the same rack. I have been satisfied with mine.
Old 04-13-19, 09:14 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Whatever hitch/bumper rack you get, make sure that your rack holds the wheels of your bike well away from the exhaust of your car. Yeah. Hot exhaust will do a number on your tubes and tires.

Guess if you have a Tesla it's a moot point.