Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Riding with AFib

Old 01-19-19, 04:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BobL View Post
You bet!

My wife and I always used to ride together, but she hasn't started back up until about a week ago, when she started riding our recumbent stationary bike. She's been fighting a tendinitis on her left leg for a year(!) and finally decided to see someone. Six weeks of PT has gotten her sufficiently better to start riding the recumbent. We've always had a disparity in strength due to size (I'm 6' and 200, she's 4'10" and close to half my weight), so riding together was always me slowing down for her and always pulling in the wind. She's aiming to get on the road by the end of February.
With similar issues, we bought a tandem in '07 when I was a couple years younger than you. I seldom ride my single outdoors now, tandeming instead.

From years of observing tendinitis/tendinosis on BF, what works seems to be lifting heavy, slowly, low reps. Gotta stress 'em to make 'em heal. Most PTs do the opposite.

You might try Saw Palmetto. A friend of mine said, "Ignore the studies, just try it." So I did and it works. Doesn't shrink the hyperplasia any, but it doubles my night-time sleep between pees. I'm worse than you, being older. I assume you've already gotten the excess salt out of your diet? My wife and I try for 3/4 teaspoon/day each, that is we try to make sure we get that much, having cut the heck out of it, no processed food, make everything from scratch, don't salt anything, etc.
Old 01-19-19, 07:27 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
With similar issues, we bought a tandem in '07 when I was a couple years younger than you. I seldom ride my single outdoors now, tandeming instead.

From years of observing tendinitis/tendinosis on BF, what works seems to be lifting heavy, slowly, low reps. Gotta stress 'em to make 'em heal. Most PTs do the opposite.

You might try Saw Palmetto. A friend of mine said, "Ignore the studies, just try it." So I did and it works. Doesn't shrink the hyperplasia any, but it doubles my night-time sleep between pees. I'm worse than you, being older. I assume you've already gotten the excess salt out of your diet? My wife and I try for 3/4 teaspoon/day each, that is we try to make sure we get that much, having cut the heck out of it, no processed food, make everything from scratch, don't salt anything, etc.
I'll pass that idea on. The PT has her doing just range of motion exercises and stretching. While she was in treatment, he massaged the area to seemingly good results.

As for Saw Palmetto, I take a LOT of it. 3 320mg "standardized extract" capsules twice a day. It's expensive, but it works for me. I went looking for any sort of toxicity information I could find before I added that third capsule twice a day, but couldn't find anything that made it seem like it could be dangerous. Couldn't find any.

As for salt, I practically have to force myself to get any at all. I've just never cared for the taste of it. We use very few prepared foods, my wife loves to cook, makes our mayonnaise and cooks everything from scratch, but I use hot sauce from time to time, and that's salt and various red peppers.

Last edited by BobL; 01-19-19 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Left out a thought.
Old 01-19-19, 09:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BobL View Post
I'll pass that idea on. The PT has her doing just range of motion exercises and stretching. While she was in treatment, he massaged the area to seemingly good results.

As for Saw Palmetto, I take a LOT of it. 3 320mg "standardized extract" capsules twice a day. It's expensive, but it works for me. I went looking for any sort of toxicity information I could find before I added that third capsule twice a day, but couldn't find anything that made it seem like it could be dangerous. Couldn't find any.

As for salt, I practically have to force myself to get any at all. I've just never cared for the taste of it. We use very few prepared foods, my wife loves to cook, makes our mayonnaise and cooks everything from scratch, but I use hot sauce from time to time, and that's salt and various red peppers.
So nice!

You might ask your doc about Flomax (Tamsulosin), which really works. It's an alpha blocker, so might be contraindicated for an athlete.

Yes, the PT would need to instruct: ROM and form. Here's an article which gives the reasoning behind the successes of BFers in getting this fixed. It's called HSR (Heavy Slow Resistance): Overcoming Tendonitis ? Steven Low

Note:
stretching and balance training (no evidence or make it worse hence why I only use stretching for range of motion deficits), massage/manual therapy (case studies weak evidence in support, systematic reviews none),
She can show it to her PT.