Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Clipless or flat pedals on your gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Clipless or flat pedals on your gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 07:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I use them, and they are outstanding. They are built like tanks.
do all cleated platform pedals provide shoe contact on the cleated side?
do your Shimano PD-M324 pedals provide more shoe contact with the frame of the pedal while cleated than my Shimano A530s?

I've tried to photo mine while in use but it's tricky

Old 08-08-18, 08:51 AM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Since I got back into mountain biking and newly into road biking about a year ago I have gone completely clip-less and would never go back to platforms except for maybe a super casual slow comfort bike type ride. I started with SPD on my mountain bike but then got ahold of a pair of CrankBrothers Mallets and switched to them on my mountain bike because I love having the platform surrounding the pedal. Sometimes when on the trail I need to unclip to put a foot down then get back on the pedal quickly. The platform gives me the ability to immediately mash and worry about clicking in after. I've also switched to Mallets on my commuter because I get the benefit of MTB shoes with a recessed cleat making them easier to walk in and the Mallets are easier to pedal with my regular shoes after I've showered and changed into my work clothes.

On my road bike I first started with a pair of double sided SPD/flat pedals that also have a semi cage around the clip. I really hated them because I spent too much time fidgeting with the pedal to get the right side up when trying to clip in. For a while I switched to a regular Shimano SPD pedal which worked pretty well, but recently I've switched to SPD-SL and I LOVE them! The SL is so much more stable especially when out of the saddle. I can get out of the saddle and climb so much more confidently now. I also find clipping in much easier in the SL's and they even make a better platform than regular SPD if you don't get clipped in or are in flats.

Also, I did have the ubiquitous rookie slow speed fall over on my first road ride with clipless. That was even after having used them for a while on the trainer to get comfortable clipping in/out. I was coming to a stop and got my right foot unclipped but when I came to the stop the bike leaned left instead. Even though I was stopped I still hurt my hand pretty good because I stupidly try to catch myself and slammed my palm right on one of the crosswalk ramps with the raised bumps.
Old 08-08-18, 10:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
do all cleated platform pedals provide shoe contact on the cleated side?
do your Shimano PD-M324 pedals provide more shoe contact with the frame of the pedal while cleated than my Shimano A530s?

I've tried to photo mine while in use but it's tricky
That's a good question, and I should know the answer. For now, my answer is, I think so. But I'll check and get back to you. My memory of how they feel is that there is more support, reducing the likelihood of a hot spot on your foot.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-03-20, 02:06 PM
Andrew Sullivan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For Best Gravel Bike Pedals

I must say SPD flat gravel bike pedals are too good!
Old 05-03-20, 07:17 PM
JeffJbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I go flats, but I am a novice.