Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Motobecane Whipshot Ti

Old 12-31-18, 03:56 PM
criswell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at picking up a Whipshot...what are the biggest tires that you guys have put on? Anyone using the 40c WTB Nanos or something similar?
Old 01-02-19, 09:05 AM
MTBHHP

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ShaneShane for the feedback on my rear derailleur issue. I will have a closer look at my chain length and brake pads/springs.

I also found another potentially big issue, I just emailed BD about. The rear brake is leaking fluid under the shifter hood, from the side of the master cylinder, not the bleed port screw. A few drops come out when I squeeze the brake lever. The front side brake may be a little moist here, but not leaking like this. I assume this may be a SRAM manufacturing defect?
Old 01-02-19, 02:39 PM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by criswell View Post
Looking at picking up a Whipshot...what are the biggest tires that you guys have put on? Anyone using the 40c WTB Nanos or something similar?
Sorry I haven't tried any other tires yet. I have a set of Maxxis Rambler 700x40c that I expect to fit.
Old 01-03-19, 09:38 AM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People with these Force hydraulic brakes may want to peel back the rubber shifter hoods and make sure there aren't any brake fluid leaks under there. There's a seam on the side where brake fluid was leaking out on mine when I fully squeezed the brake lever. I was able to tightened down the 4 reservoir cover bolts a bit and this seems to have helped. Cleaned and dried with alcohol. But that seam still gets a little damp with brake fluid when I pull the brake lever, which doesn't seem normal? This is only happening on the right (rear) brake.

I'd appreciate any feedback if you're seeing this on yours or not. I do my own wrenching, but haven't worked on these brakes before. I'm reviewing the SRAM service manual.
Old 01-03-19, 09:49 AM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sucks I have to deal with this and broken derailleur hanger right out of the box. Waiting to hear back from BikesDirect whether they can compensate me any to deal with this myself, or just ship bike back for exchange/refund. They were hinting they wanted me to take to a bike shop and deal with a possible SRAM warranty claim.
Old 01-03-19, 04:08 PM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "leaky" hydro brake reservoir shouldn't be a big issue. I got some compensation from BD, and should be able to deal with it myself. Happy to be keeping this bike now.
Old 01-04-19, 12:06 PM
shaneshane

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good to hear that it's not an issue.

I had found the same liquid in the right side shifter/brake (rear), and I wiped it away, and it stays dry, I figured it should be the residual when they do factory bleeding.

I do not have any brake problem or perceive any brake power loss so I guess it's not an issue.
Let me know what you figured out with BikesDirect

Originally Posted by MTBHHP View Post
My "leaky" hydro brake reservoir shouldn't be a big issue. I got some compensation from BD, and should be able to deal with it myself. Happy to be keeping this bike now.

Last edited by shaneshane; 01-04-19 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 05:17 PM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My right side shifter/brake would get a few drops of brake fluid every time I fully squeezed the lever. BD suggested I just try tightening up those 4 reservoir cover bolts. I was able to tighten them up a bit, and the leaking has pretty much gone away. The brake power still seems OK, so I'm just going to keep my eye on this. Not looking like I'll need to bleed the brakes unless I try shortening the long brake cable. BD gave me a small refund and shipped 2 replacement hangers for the broken one. BD was very responsive and I'm happy now.

I haven't checked whether I have too short a chain or the brake pad/spring issue yet. But I'll deal with that later. I also have their Mulkick CX Pro bike that came with SRAM Force 1x11. It also came with a 110 link chain, but only has 40T front chain ring, . So the 110 link chain may be too short for a 42T chain ring like the Whipshot has.
Old 01-06-19, 09:03 PM
shaneshane

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTBHHP, Great to know

Also, given so many people had jumped on this deal, seems we got a bigger group of Whipshot Ti owners. would be great to know where are you guys and we can see if possible to have some bike events.
I'm in Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area.

Originally Posted by MTBHHP View Post
My right side shifter/brake would get a few drops of brake fluid every time I fully squeezed the lever. BD suggested I just try tightening up those 4 reservoir cover bolts. I was able to tighten them up a bit, and the leaking has pretty much gone away. The brake power still seems OK, so I'm just going to keep my eye on this. Not looking like I'll need to bleed the brakes unless I try shortening the long brake cable. BD gave me a small refund and shipped 2 replacement hangers for the broken one. BD was very responsive and I'm happy now.

I haven't checked whether I have too short a chain or the brake pad/spring issue yet. But I'll deal with that later. I also have their Mulkick CX Pro bike that came with SRAM Force 1x11. It also came with a 110 link chain, but only has 40T front chain ring, . So the 110 link chain may be too short for a 42T chain ring like the Whipshot has.
Old 01-07-19, 08:06 AM
MTBHHP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneshane View Post
MTBHHP, Great to know

Also, given so many people had jumped on this deal, seems we got a bigger group of Whipshot Ti owners. would be great to know where are you guys and we can see if possible to have some bike events.
I'm in Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area.
Yes, that would be nice if we lived close enough together. I'm in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area so you would be a little too far for me . But maybe some others are closer.