Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cannondale Topstone

Old 03-22-19, 08:25 AM
  #76  
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Did you ever get to ride a medium? Curious what your thoughts are after riding a large?
Not the person you asked, but I test rode a medium a month ago and felt it was a "big" medium. I'm 5'11", and don't think I would fit on a large at all given my fit on the medium.

I'm planning on heading to a shop tomorrow to see if they can change the stem to fine tune the fit, and if they're agreeable I'll hopefully be able to report back on what I think about the Topstone in even more depth! The model seems to be sprinkled out there, but I still haven't seen a ton of first-hand opinions about it.
Lava is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 08:28 AM
  #77  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Not the person you asked, but I test rode a medium a month ago and felt it was a "big" medium. I'm 5'11", and don't think I would fit on a large at all given my fit on the medium.

I'm planning on heading to a shop tomorrow to see if they can change the stem to fine tune the fit, and if they're agreeable I'll hopefully be able to report back on what I think about the Topstone in even more depth! The model seems to be sprinkled out there, but I still haven't seen a ton of first-hand opinions about it.
Thanks dude, super helpful. I'm looking into finding a local shop that carries them. I have a buddy bike shop owner in Florida that said he'd put me on a medium given I ride a 56cm SuperSix at 6'. The stack and reach looks about right.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 08:33 AM
  #78  
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Thanks dude, super helpful. I'm looking into finding a local shop that carries them. I have a buddy bike shop owner in Florida that said he'd put me on a medium given I ride a 56cm SuperSix at 6'. The stack and reach looks about right.
Yeah, that seems right. This comparison between the Caad12 & Topstone might be helpful too. I don't know how the SuperSix compares to the Caad12, but it was helpful seeing the stack/reach diagrammed this way.
Lava is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 08:44 AM
  #79  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Yeah, that seems right. This comparison between the Caad12 & Topstone might be helpful too. I don't know how the SuperSix compares to the Caad12, but it was helpful seeing the stack/reach diagrammed this way.
Holy buckets, what a great diagram. Yeah, I'm definitely a Medium Topstone. now I have to 1) find a frameset, and 2) convince myself to ride a 22lbs gravel bike again.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 11:36 AM
  #80  
gus6464
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
If Cannondale used C1 Premium alloy for the Topstone it would be a sub 20lbs bike easy. The Slate frame is incredibly light because of it. I wonder why only the CAAD12 and Slate get the high-end aluminum treatment. There isn't even a version of the Synapse alloy that has the super bling aluminum.
gus6464 is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 01:00 PM
  #81  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
If Cannondale used C1 Premium alloy for the Topstone it would be a sub 20lbs bike easy. The Slate frame is incredibly light because of it. I wonder why only the CAAD12 and Slate get the high-end aluminum treatment. There isn't even a version of the Synapse alloy that has the super bling aluminum.
Bummer huh? It's probably a price point thing.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 01:26 PM
  #82  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,105
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
If Cannondale used C1 Premium alloy for the Topstone it would be a sub 20lbs bike easy. The Slate frame is incredibly light because of it. I wonder why only the CAAD12 and Slate get the high-end aluminum treatment. There isn't even a version of the Synapse alloy that has the super bling aluminum.
because a carbon version is coming. Just like the CAADX being C2, there's no reason for a C1 version when there's the superx. The CAAD12 in C1 makes sense because its competition is the allez spring and emonda alr and plenty of people build them up for crit racing as easily replaceable crash consumables.
redlude97 is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 01:42 PM
  #83  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
OMG I just bought an early Graphite with Ultegra. That happened way faster than I was planning on.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 06:43 PM
  #84  
HarborBandS
HarborBandS
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chicago Western Suburbs
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Im 5-11, and just did a short test ride on a size M Topstone. They only had the Sora version in stock, but the fit should be the same. It fit well! I usually ride a 56cm or 58cm road bike. I had more seatpost exposed than normal, but less than in the marketing photos (frame is designed for a long seatpost).
HarborBandS is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 08:15 PM
  #85  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS View Post
Im 5-11, and just did a short test ride on a size M Topstone. They only had the Sora version in stock, but the fit should be the same. It fit well! I usually ride a 56cm or 58cm road bike. I had more seatpost exposed than normal, but less than in the marketing photos (frame is designed for a long seatpost).
Good to hear, that's the size I went with.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-24-19, 12:08 PM
  #86  
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's what I ended up with too! It has 105 shifters though, so way to go lucking out with those Ultegras! The shop took their time to fit me to the bike, including shortening the stem for a better fit, and setting the tires up tubeless from the get-go. I was really happy with that service, and definitely sold on the value. Fenders and an eventual rack for commuting/light touring duty, and it seems like this bike will be able to do it all!

I'm not sure how I feel about the WTB Nanos at this point. I've never ridden bigger tires than 25mm, so don't have a good feel for what's normal. They don't feel like they're slowing me down much, but they do hum at higher speeds, and I'm wondering whether Gravelking slicks will be noticeably faster. The Fabric Saddle seems nice, but not revolutionary. A little uncomfortable without a chamois, but not the worst I've felt. New 105 components feel pristine and wonderful to shift, and I'm really happy with the braking power coming from 10-year-old rim brakes that are probably pretty worn out.





Lava is offline  
Old 03-24-19, 08:03 PM
  #87  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
That's what I ended up with too! It has 105 shifters though, so way to go lucking out with those Ultegras! The shop took their time to fit me to the bike, including shortening the stem for a better fit, and setting the tires up tubeless from the get-go. I was really happy with that service, and definitely sold on the value. Fenders and an eventual rack for commuting/light touring duty, and it seems like this bike will be able to do it all!

I'm not sure how I feel about the WTB Nanos at this point. I've never ridden bigger tires than 25mm, so don't have a good feel for what's normal. They don't feel like they're slowing me down much, but they do hum at higher speeds, and I'm wondering whether Gravelking slicks will be noticeably faster. The Fabric Saddle seems nice, but not revolutionary. A little uncomfortable without a chamois, but not the worst I've felt. New 105 components feel pristine and wonderful to shift, and I'm really happy with the braking power coming from 10-year-old rim brakes that are probably pretty worn out.
Looking good! I'm not gonna lie I'm already having buyer's remorse and I haven't even received it yet. I'm worried about its weight and how snappy it will feel. And I'm not a black bike or Shimano kind of guy. I'm a blue bike and Sram guy. wtf did I do lol.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-24-19, 08:09 PM
  #88  
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Looking good! I'm not gonna lie I'm already having buyer's remorse and I haven't even received it yet. I'm worried about its weight and how snappy it will feel. And I'm not a black bike or Shimano kind of guy. I'm a blue bike and Sram guy. wtf did I do lol.
Oh no, I'm sure you're aware that there is a blue/SRAM Topstone!

I'm really loving the snappiness of it so far: that's what sold me on it over a heavier steel bike with higher trails. I definitely wanted a 2x drivetrain for versatility, too, so it was a pretty straightforward choice for me in the end.
Lava is offline  
Old 03-24-19, 08:12 PM
  #89  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Oh no, I'm sure you're aware that there is a blue/SRAM Topstone!

I'm really loving the snappiness of it so far: that's what sold me on it over a heavier steel bike with higher trails. I definitely wanted a 2x drivetrain for versatility, too, so it was a pretty straightforward choice for me in the end.
Yeah..I know and I wish I could have had that one but I'm not sold on 1X either. I was initially hesitant but when I saw the Ultegra bits and the price I was sold. Maybe a little of an impulse buy but I guess I can always swap out the components if I need to.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 03:51 AM
  #90  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,799

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about the WTB Nanos at this point. I've never ridden bigger tires than 25mm, so don't have a good feel for what's normal. They don't feel like they're slowing me down much, but they do hum at higher speeds, and I'm wondering whether Gravelking slicks will be noticeably faster.
If you want tubeless then GK slicks.

Otherwise you could drop Panaracer Pasela 700x38 on there too... some puncture protect. and either would be way faster than the Nano's
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 05:50 AM
  #91  
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
If you want tubeless then GK slicks.

Otherwise you could drop Panaracer Pasela 700x38 on there too... some puncture protect. and either would be way faster than the Nano's
Yeah, I've been happy with the GK slicks as a narrow winter tire on my beater bike, so I may go that route eventually. I've never worked with tubeless setups before, so there's a little bit of a mental hurdle I have to get over first when deciding to swap them!
Lava is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 08:42 AM
  #92  
itskohler
Senior Member
 
itskohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For what it's worth, if anyone looking for advice on sizing later - I'm 6'1" and found the Large to feel better than the Medium. I have a 34" inseam and a pretty long wingspan to boot.

Now to my question for you all... How heavy are the stock wheels? Are they worth replacing with some Hunt 4 Seasons?
itskohler is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 09:23 AM
  #93  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by itskohler View Post
For what it's worth, if anyone looking for advice on sizing later - I'm 6'1" and found the Large to feel better than the Medium. I have a 34" inseam and a pretty long wingspan to boot.

Now to my question for you all... How heavy are the stock wheels? Are they worth replacing with some Hunt 4 Seasons?
Stock wheels on which build? All three are different.

With that being said, I will know the wheelset weight of the 105 build this weekend. I'll post that.

And with that being said, I can GUARANTEE you that putting a set of Hunts on there is worth it.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 09:24 AM
  #94  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Yeah, I've been happy with the GK slicks as a narrow winter tire on my beater bike, so I may go that route eventually. I've never worked with tubeless setups before, so there's a little bit of a mental hurdle I have to get over first when deciding to swap them!
Setting up tubeless is really not that difficult. Either watch a couple videos or have a shop do it. Once you go tubeless you'll wonder why you waited so long.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 11:57 AM
  #95  
itskohler
Senior Member
 
itskohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Stock wheels on which build? All three are different.

With that being said, I will know the wheelset weight of the 105 build this weekend. I'll post that.

And with that being said, I can GUARANTEE you that putting a set of Hunts on there is worth it.
Sora, so bottom tier but far better than any other non-mtb I've owned. Mostly going to be used for commuting, and I'm already buying used Rival/Apex parts on the cheap to replace once the groupset is complete.

Good to hear about the Hunts though. Would you say the weight savings is the benefit, or just a better all around wheel?
itskohler is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 12:00 PM
  #96  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by itskohler View Post
Sora, so bottom tier but far better than any other non-mtb I've owned. Mostly going to be used for commuting, and I'm already buying used Rival/Apex parts on the cheap to replace once the groupset is complete.

Good to hear about the Hunts though. Would you say the weight savings is the benefit, or just a better all around wheel?
In literally every single way will the Hunts be better. Lighter, more aero, better hubs/bearings, tubeless (your wheels aren't), and looks. Which Hunt wheelset are you looking at specifically?
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 12:18 PM
  #97  
itskohler
Senior Member
 
itskohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
In literally every single way will the Hunts be better. Lighter, more aero, better hubs/bearings, tubeless (your wheels aren't), and looks. Which Hunt wheelset are you looking at specifically?
The MASON x HUNT 4 Season. I'm open to other cheap, but better-than-stock wheelsets though.
itskohler is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 12:21 PM
  #98  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by itskohler View Post
The MASON x HUNT 4 Season. I'm open to other cheap, but better-than-stock wheelsets though.
That's gonna be a pretty tough value to beat.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 12:28 PM
  #99  
itskohler
Senior Member
 
itskohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paducah, KY
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
That's gonna be a pretty tough value to beat.
Glad to hear it. I'll spend hours looking for deals on one specific part or piece, Hunt just happened to show up on Instagram as an ad.
itskohler is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 12:38 PM
  #100  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,264
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by itskohler View Post
Glad to hear it. I'll spend hours looking for deals on one specific part or piece, Hunt just happened to show up on Instagram as an ad.
Just be aware of their weight limit. Lightweight, cheap wheels don't come without their compromises.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.