Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What’s your “dumbest” bike repair mistake?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What’s your “dumbest” bike repair mistake?

Old 03-24-19, 03:08 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good judgement comes from experience..
Experience comes from bad judgement.
Old 03-24-19, 04:22 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumbest is the one I did not do. Left seat angle the same on my Zenetto for over five years. Now metal clamshells are frozen in carbon fiber seatpost.
Old 03-24-19, 07:44 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to move into the modern world this past summer and got a new wheel with a PowerTap hub. I figured I'd also change the gearing, so I got a new cassette, chains and chainrings. You have to know that the most I'd done up to this time was change a flat and true a wheel, so this was all new territory for me. In addition to the mistake Jppe cited in the original post, I also failed to realize that the middle chainring on a triple is different from the small chairing on a double (hey, they're the same # of teeth!). And I think I had a chainring on backwards. And I failed to get the crank set all the way back in properly. And maybe a few other things -- the very friendly bike mechanic at the local shop made a list for me so that I wouldn't make the same mistakes again :-) Not too expensive a lesson, and I'm sure I'll try again one of these days.
Old 03-24-19, 11:58 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider View Post
Last summer I replaced a tube on a nearby kids MTB. (I don't charge anything for repairs to local bikes brought to my retired "Gone fishing" bike shop by neighbors). I put 60psi in it and set into the back of my truck. About five minutes later from inside the shop I hear BLAM!! Flat again. I had forgotten the rim strip. I just can't figure why it took so long to blow.
Forgot about that one. I replaced a steel fatbike wheel with an alloy wheel with all those cool holes in it . Pumping up the tire, the tube pushed out of the thirty six 3/4" holes like cousin Daisy filled out her shirts on Dukes of Hazzard. I was inside my house when I heard the kablam.

Being car guys, the Dukes would have known about PVC rim strips, but they were new to me. Well, I bought one, The rip in the tube was a starburst pattern, 3/4" across, and that was how I was able to patch it first from the inside of the tube, and then a second patch outside,
Old 03-29-19, 10:39 PM
Xyrium 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post

It's tough when you install stuff while the bike is upside down, eh? That's excellent though, thanks for posting.
Old 04-21-19, 01:20 PM
Last ride 76 

Location: Just moved...1 km S. Now above the "Bike Path" ( River Road, Piermont, NY)

Bikes: Old Bikes: '74 Ron Cooper, Crashed and repaired '76, restored 2015!!! need restoration '74 Witcomb track bike (bought in '75) '75 Carlsbad Masi, bought in '76 New bikes: 84-85 Gios torino "Professional" '76 Olmo Competition C Titiano

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post

Haven't done this one (yet), but remounting cranks so they are both down at the same time.... It was funny briefly, but it really makes climbing hills HARD.