Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Acquaintance is victim of Hit and Run, left on side of road

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Acquaintance is victim of Hit and Run, left on side of road

Old 05-05-19, 08:05 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Just got another update from my sister. He is now eating some meals of puréed food but with assistance. The feeding tube will remain for a while longer. He will open his eyes to respond to people but he’s expressionless. PT seems to be going ok.

The police called the suspect’s phone and he answered. They know where he is but he hasn’t been taken into custody. He didn’t appear for his court date last week for a previous arrest for DUI.
Old 05-05-19, 08:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Just got another update from my sister. He is now eating some meals of puréed food but with assistance. The feeding tube will remain for a while longer. He will open his eyes to respond to people but he’s expressionless. PT seems to be going ok.

The police called the suspect’s phone and he answered. They know where he is but he hasn’t been taken into custody. He didn’t appear for his court date last week for a previous arrest for DUI.
I am glad that your friend is showing signs of improvement. Will continue to pray for him.

As a prosecutor I can tell you that there is still a long road ahead before getting a successful prosecution.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-05-19, 10:14 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Trust me... this is good news in every sense. Wait for the day when he suggests someone bring in his bike for him. Machka still reminds me of that rather futile request I made. There are a few others, but I will leave them alone for the present time.
Likes For Rowan:
Old 05-06-19, 12:01 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I don’t have any words. All I give is a positive vibe. He will recover
Old 05-06-19, 03:09 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Shocking story. What kind of person leaves another human being at the side of the road? Especially after hitting them!

Unfortunately, this is symptomatic of "motorists" viewing cyclist as less than worthy.

Watching that short video, really inspired me......"Why do I cycle?" He answers that. FUN! Not speed. Not to win. Just fun....

Thoughts and prayers to him and his family. Hopefully wont be too long and he will be back in the saddle...

Repect and peace!
Likes For Gerry221:
Old 05-06-19, 02:09 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Right or wrong, I'm now starting to form a mental impression of the perp, and now feel more strongly that action needs to be taken before he hurts, or kills anybody else.
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 06-16-19, 02:59 PM
car knocker
Bicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Update,please.

I think of Robert every time I go for a ride,so much can happen that can change a life instantly . I hope he's doing better , can we please have a update on his progress back to normalcy.
Old 06-16-19, 09:38 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
That is just so wrong and sad. My family's prayers are with Robert for a speedy and complete recovery. I've
had 2 club members hit this year--1 was unfortunately KIA and the other--I'm surprised that he wasn't. Fractured back, broken pelvis and torn ligaments in his right knee. Neither was a hit-and-run, but that doesn't make it any less tragic. We can't be too careful, or become complacent in our riding. Thank you for letting us know about your friend.
Jon
Old 06-17-19, 07:16 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
When I read about this I prayed for him and was angry too. I hope he makes a recovery and is able to someday ride again. I am still amazed at how a few people can be so rude when the rest of the drivers are very courteous . I have had pretty good leeway when riding on the side of the road and drivers , for the most part , are generous with room for me. I don't push it and always stay as far to the right as possible and I ride alone. Occasionally I get brushed by a vehicle that refuses to give me any room and I wonder why that attitude exists. The laws are no good at all as they seem to be not enforced. I have twice been cut of by police officers . I am not going to give up on cycling but here in Southern California it is becoming increasingly more dangerous. I try to stick with roads less traveled. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 06-18-19, 08:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by car knocker
I think of Robert every time I go for a ride,so much can happen that can change a life instantly . I hope he's doing better , can we please have a update on his progress back to normalcy.
Robert is now at home but under the watchful eye of his spouse and 3 children. They rotate providing assistance.

Everyone who followed Rowan’s ongoing recovery from his brain injury knows progress from brain juries is erratic and a very long process. Robert still needs assistance for daily tasks. While before he was verbose and charismatic He now struggles with verbalizing his thoughts. He doesn’t remember his thousands of miles of bike riding even after seeing videos and pictures.

His business has now closed. I don’t think they’ve arrested the suspect but not sure about that.

Before his injury he disliked “animals” but now looks forward to the regular visits to his wife’s farm to feed the animals.

At this point it’s unclear what his long term prognosis might be. But he’s surrounded by a very loving family that will continue to support him every step along the way.
Likes For jppe:
Old 06-19-19, 03:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Robert is now at home but under the watchful eye of his spouse and 3 children. They rotate providing assistance.

Everyone who followed Rowan’s ongoing recovery from his brain injury knows progress from brain juries is erratic and a very long process. Robert still needs assistance for daily tasks. While before he was verbose and charismatic He now struggles with verbalizing his thoughts. He doesn’t remember his thousands of miles of bike riding even after seeing videos and pictures.

His business has now closed. I don’t think they’ve arrested the suspect but not sure about that.

Before his injury he disliked “animals” but now looks forward to the regular visits to his wife’s farm to feed the animals.

At this point it’s unclear what his long term prognosis might be. But he’s surrounded by a very loving family that will continue to support him every step along the way.
It's good to ear that he has a very loving family to support him. I hope they're also getting him as much professional help as they can.

And unfortunately, it is very hard to determine what the long term prognosis might be ... there's so much about the brain that even the experts don't know. They used to say that when a person got to 6 months post injury, that's as good as they would get ... then they said, it was 1 year ... and 2 years. Now they say that a person can keep recovering and developing and making progress for years to come.

But chances are there will be some permanent effects and he/they won't likely return to how it was before. People keep talking to me about a "new normal" ... whatever that is.

Funnily enough, we've gone up north to a cottage on a farm a couple times and will go again in a few weeks. Seems to be the place to be.