Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 05-20-19, 08:50 AM
Drinian

Bikes: 1964 Sherwood Flyer, 2017 Raleigh Superbe iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
I'm really torn about this. I can't come up with a good reason for why I'd really need an e-bike at this point, but I'm kind of a techie person and am pretty fascinated by the technology and all that. Besides, my wife just got one and absolutely loves it. She mainly uses the assist for hills and riding into the wind, but has already ridden farther and more often than she has in years. And of course, she can not only keep up with me without any trouble, but can whip me any time she wants to!

But would I want to show up for one of our group rides with an e-bike? Maybe it's all a matter of ego (probably is!), but it would seem like I'd have it "too easy"when everyone else is busting it to do a 40-miler or whatever.

I could almost justify it if I didn't have to give up one of my current bikes, but we're already short of garage space. Although I do have any extra ceiling-mounted lift hanger...
Here's another twist for consideration. If you ride purely for exercise, then an ebike may feel like surrender. On the other hand, I rode my ebike whenever I could this winter (temp over 38 F). The winter difference was that my battery was kept comfy in the basement. I didn't want speed against a cold Lake Erie wind. I only wanted exercise. Now that it's warm, the battery is back- time on the road and range are extended. While exercise is important to me, my real motive is to carry my camera to more distant shooting locations. So, I bike to keep more mobile, but also to aid my photographic instincts. For me, biking is both an end and a means. The reason you ride may determine the time to get electrified.
Old 06-02-19, 04:43 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
This past week it’s been hotter than normal in NC for this time of the year. Temperatures were mid to high 90’s accompanied by the Carolinas high humidity. I walk 18 holes of golf every morning. We start before 8:00 and generally finish around 11:30, before it’s super hot.

I’ve lived in the Carolinas my whole life and have tolerated the heat really well. I actually prefer it. Nothing like a good sweat! Never had any issues, until this week.

It got me this week. I could feel my energy levels dropping later in the week. I went out to mow the grass with my push mower Thursday afternoon and thought I was going to have to call 911! My yard is not big and it generally takes me about an hour to mow it. I had to stop 3 times, go inside, drink fluids and cool down. I felt really light headed with little energy.

I have been drinking a lot of water playing golf. I carry one of my cycling water bottles with me and try and always have water in it. As an afterthought I’m thinking I just have been adding electrolytes as well. I can carry the capsules or even packets of powder. Maybe I’ll try that and see how it goes.

Cycling was affected as well. I felt awful and just had to go slow. Maybe anything that elevated the heart rate was affected???

Just wondering if our tolerance for heat (and cold) changes as we mature???
Old 06-02-19, 09:19 AM
delbiker1 

Bikes: 1991 Ochsner steel frame, 2002 Airborne Zeppelin titanium, Schwinn DBX SS aluminum, Orbea MD 40 carbon fiber

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Certainly sounds like dehydration/low electrolytes. Could be age related. I loved the heat when I was young. That is no longer true. When it gets into the mid 80s and 90s I do not ride my bike unless I get in my miles early in the morning. Be sure to monitor yourself and see a doctor if feeling bad continues.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-03-19, 07:01 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also certainly noticed a decrease in my limit of exertion on hot days in recent years. Fortunately, we generally don't get too much of that. Some of it is my own fault for being under-hydrated at times. I generally don't like to drink too much since with my general prostate issues it can lead to a lot of urgent gotta-find-a-restroom moments along the way. But this year I am being more conscientious about it and trying to stay ahead of my thirst. I'm also taking in more in the way of electrolytes and maybe an energy bar or two on a long ride.
Old 06-03-19, 08:18 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dehydration bad

I went for my first short ride in several weeks - other health issues, mine and my wifeís got in the way for a month - and discovered Iíd not been drinking enough water. I was so dehydrated I got dizzy and actually vomited. Not fun. Quit the ride after only a couple of miles and had to go home.

Been drinking water regularly since and am feeling much better.

Learned my lesson

Originally Posted by jppe View Post
This past week itís been hotter than normal in NC for this time of the year. Temperatures were mid to high 90ís accompanied by the Carolinas high humidity. I walk 18 holes of golf every morning. We start before 8:00 and generally finish around 11:30, before itís super hot.

Iíve lived in the Carolinas my whole life and have tolerated the heat really well. I actually prefer it. Nothing like a good sweat! Never had any issues, until this week.

It got me this week. I could feel my energy levels dropping later in the week. I went out to mow the grass with my push mower Thursday afternoon and thought I was going to have to call 911! My yard is not big and it generally takes me about an hour to mow it. I had to stop 3 times, go inside, drink fluids and cool down. I felt really light headed with little energy.

I have been drinking a lot of water playing golf. I carry one of my cycling water bottles with me and try and always have water in it. As an afterthought Iím thinking I just have been adding electrolytes as well. I can carry the capsules or even packets of powder. Maybe Iíll try that and see how it goes.

Cycling was affected as well. I felt awful and just had to go slow. Maybe anything that elevated the heart rate was affected???

Old 06-05-19, 06:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 51 Posts
I've never tolerated heat well.
Looking back on childhood, I don't know how we survived without some air conditioning in a big, old house in Nashville.

I survived 4 years in Missouri, not too long ago, but hated it. I'm a left coast person, the Pacific Ocean is a great climate stabilizer, I'll stay close going forward

Take care yourself, it's only going to be worse in the coming years.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 06-06-19, 06:31 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In local news today, a 76yo cyclist was hit by a CSX train, but it sounds like he was amazingly not injured all that seriously. The train was traveling at "only" 15mph, but something that size doesn't have to be going very fast at all to do some serious damage! I always wonder why people don't see something that large bearing down on them.

OTOH, there's another local suburb that has a very active downtown that unfortunately has a major track running right through it at grade level (with lights, gates, and bells). Seems like every year some pedestrian is killed by a (slow moving) freight train due to either being drunk (lots of bars in the area) or looking down at their smartphone and with earbuds in their ears...
Old 06-07-19, 06:35 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
This past week itís been hotter than normal in NC for this time of the year. Temperatures were mid to high 90ís accompanied by the Carolinas high humidity. I walk 18 holes of golf every morning. We start before 8:00 and generally finish around 11:30, before itís super hot.

Iíve lived in the Carolinas my whole life and have tolerated the heat really well. I actually prefer it. Nothing like a good sweat! Never had any issues, until this week.

I have been drinking a lot of water playing golf. I carry one of my cycling water bottles with me and try and always have water in it. As an afterthought Iím thinking I just have been adding electrolytes as well. I can carry the capsules or even packets of powder. Maybe Iíll try that and see how it goes.

Fitness and acclimation are the primary factors. To the extent that fitness drops with age, heat tolerance would be affected; however for an active senior this should not be significant. My take is that you (and I) have not yet acclimated well to this rather early heat wave in NC. As we progress into real summer our tolerance will improve.
Old 06-10-19, 07:38 AM
Alloyboy

Bikes: Trek 800. Empire 3 speed. Renegade Mtn. Comp. K2 T-Nine Crosswind.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
I've also certainly noticed a decrease in my limit of exertion on hot days in recent years. Fortunately, we generally don't get too much of that. Some of it is my own fault for being under-hydrated at times. I generally don't like to drink too much since with my general prostate issues it can lead to a lot of urgent gotta-find-a-restroom moments along the way. But this year I am being more conscientious about it and trying to stay ahead of my thirst. I'm also taking in more in the way of electrolytes and maybe an energy bar or two on a long ride.
Hello DougG,
I drink lots of cranberry juice for the bladder and prostate issues. (Doctors orders) Please tell me exactly what are electrolytes.?
Regards.
Old 06-15-19, 12:26 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
"Electrolytes are minerals in your body that have an electric charge. They are in your blood, urine, tissues, and other body fluids." Read all about it: https://medlineplus.gov/fluidandelectrolytebalance.html
Old 06-20-19, 07:38 AM
sparkydog1725

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member here. 67 y/o male, 5'10" 235#. I have a new Huffy Cranbrook on the UPS truck for delivery this afternoon, along with an EyeGlow "Stylish Adult Road Bike Helmet." I haven't routinely ridden a bike for decades. Wish me luck.
I'm just looking for some mild exercise and a little fun in my neighborhood -- not going way across town or on busy streets. Do you folks ever carry pepper spray or "stun guns" while riding? I'm more worried about random dogs than random people bothering me. I think carrying my gun would be over the top and unwise for a lot of reasons.
Old 06-20-19, 09:08 AM
big john

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkydog1725 View Post
New member here. 67 y/o male, 5'10" 235#. I have a new Huffy Cranbrook on the UPS truck for delivery this afternoon, along with an EyeGlow "Stylish Adult Road Bike Helmet." I haven't routinely ridden a bike for decades. Wish me luck.
I'm just looking for some mild exercise and a little fun in my neighborhood -- not going way across town or on busy streets. Do you folks ever carry pepper spray or "stun guns" while riding? I'm more worried about random dogs than random people bothering me. I think carrying my gun would be over the top and unwise for a lot of reasons.
In nearly 200,000 miles on road bikes I have never carried a weapon or spray but people are a much greater threat than dogs. A lot of the loose dogs will stop chasing if you yell "NO" at them.
I have, however, been in a paceline when a large dog bolted from the roadside and straight into the third rider, ejecting him from his bike and onto the road.

Good luck, btw.
Old 06-21-19, 04:06 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
You must live in a rough neighborhood. For dogs, I carry a spray made for that purpose. Never had to use it because getting off the bike and reasoning with the dog has always defused the situation. I’m mindful that more aggressive tactics, if not absolutely warranted, could lead to a confrontation with the dog’s owner. I don’t have a spray for that.
Old 06-24-19, 06:48 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkydog1725 View Post
I have a police whistle I can wear around my neck. Handy that way. The sound is supposed to deter them, though I haven't had to use it.
Old 06-24-19, 07:21 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Strangely enough, it’s illegal in Indiana and other locations to use a whistle when bicycling. Probably going back to olden times when police used whistles.
i have carried Halt for dogs in the past but only used it a couple of times. Very few dog problems in recent years. Amazing how many dogs out in Hoosier country land are contained by invisible fences. Can’t remember a single issue with Indianapolis urban/suburban dogs for a long time.
Old 06-26-19, 02:43 PM
roadsnakes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil View Post
You must live in a rough neighborhood. For dogs, I carry a spray made for that purpose. Never had to use it because getting off the bike and reasoning with the dog has always defused the situation. Iím mindful that more aggressive tactics, if not absolutely warranted, could lead to a confrontation with the dogís owner. I donít have a spray for that.
Yesterday I was riding on a bike trail in a large park in my city.

I came around a corner to find a big coyote on the path. I didn`t have much time to think. I figured he`d get scared and run off. He didn`t, he just stepped off the path, and I came riding right by him. It didn`t dawn on me until a few minutes had passed that he could of easily ran up to my bike and taken a bite out my leg.

They have attacked many dogs in the area, and last year a buck pierced a black lab with it`s antlers.