Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 03:18 PM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a 55 y.o. Music teacher. Was once an experienced Touring and long distance recreation cyclist.
I had a rather devestating motorcycle accident in 1994. My left leg below the knee was crushed and partially aputated as well as tendons torn from 2 fingers of the left hand. Duke Hospital fixed me up somewhat after many operations and I'm just getting back into it. Left leg scares small children (is that a good thing)?, when I ride or wear shorts and I have somewhat limited mobility but get by fairly well. Sold my old, too tall Trek Hybrid and bought a 2005 Trek 520 that I'm cutomizing to my liking. Terry Lib. seat, Deore 44/32/22 crank, XT frnt der,Lx rear der., stem extension and Bullseye hubbed 40 spk frnt wheel. Still tweaking. I've owned the bike for 10 days and put 35 miles on her so far. Amazing how out of shape I'm in! For a guy that toured Euope in the late 80's and would do a Metric or the occasional Century at the drop of a hat, I'm a mess but am making slow progress. Goal is to do another Metric Century and a light loaded Tour. Lost 9 lb's in the past 3 weeks. Got another 40 to go. Trying to eat right,take my vitamins drink plenty of water and avoid the Greenpeace whale watchers towing me back out to sea!

"Everybody's 19 in they're head" Richard LaReno
Old 06-17-05, 04:03 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
For your encouragement, we have a fellow on the forum who rode several thousand miles last year, who is 84 and rides with one leg amputated!
Old 06-27-05, 06:00 PM
DaddyO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Just bought a Specialized Crossroads Elite last Saturday.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I'm 58, 250 pounds, 6 ft tall. Slowed down a lot!! For several years I was jogging 20 miles/week Spring through Fall, then one Spring I just didn't started again. Been a regular slug ever since.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Lived on a bike as a kid, then some as early adult, but nothing for last 25 years. Just started again Saturday.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

Still trying to keep my balance, figure out correct seat height, sort out the left and right gear shifts, and still look cool. 3 miles first day, 4 the second. It can only get better.

There are lots of hills around Hopewell, NJ, so unless I want to be bored riding around our small town all day, I had better tone up a lot.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Walking to ice cream store! Hoping to learn to ride right past it (at least most of the time).
Old 06-28-05, 10:31 AM
wjthorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 62, and I have been riding bikes since second grade, but I really fell in love with biking delivering morning newspapers.

Daily commuter bike: Trek 7700
Mountain/trail bike: Trek 8700
Winter beater: Trek 4500 with studded tires

Daily supplements: multi-vitamin, glucosamine+condritin

It's not so much that I have slowed (I can still outbike the best Boy Scouts in our troop on a 25+ mile tour or on a flat out race), as that it takes me longer to get back into shape after the winter layoff here in Wisconsin. I've never been a racer, though. My solution: studded tires for the winter commute.

In addition to daily commuting, I take overnight and all-day bike tours with the Boy Scouts in my troop and with family members. I'm planning a long tour, perhaps the Pacific Coast before biking coast to coast, but I'll do that on a recumbent.

Keeping track on my annual mileage has not been important to me, but I'd guesstimate it at 2,000 - 3,000 easily.

For a number of years I ran every day at lunchtime, but it was so boring I switched to biking back and forth to work, which I find much more fun and interesting.
Old 07-06-05, 08:56 AM
KeithA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 54

Have a Schwinn Cimarron mountain bike. Have a Jamis Coda Elite steel frame on order.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Take my daily vitamin, ocassional protein suppliment, and my Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM combination.

Well, I've certainly slowed down from earlier years, but lately have been bringing it up quite a bit.

Pretty much since I was a kid, with peaks and valleys. Peak was regular riding, including distance riding. Valley was the last 10 or so years when I rode very infrequently.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Right now, just short (5 or so mile) quick paced training rides daily. When my Jamis arrives, they'll expand to longer distances.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Well, I just took it up again recently because of some knee problems. I'm having a gas though and will keep it up, so I'll estimate that I'll put on over 2000 miles this year. (fingers crossed, of course)

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
I do weights, wind sprints, run longer distances (1-3 miles) once a week.
Old 07-07-05, 09:47 PM
desertrat30

Bikes: Giant atx / Motobecane grand touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iam 51 years old.

I ride a 32 year old Motobecane Grand Touring that I bought new, a long time ago.
I also ride a Giant ATX 970 mountain bike.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Glucosamine. Saw Palmetto. Sometimes a multi vitamin

I don't think I have slowed down that much, but I have slowed down a little.

I have been riding since I was 6. I did have about a 22 year period of not riding too much
due to being a daddy, but the last three years I'm riding a lot now.

I try to ride at least 4 times a week. I try to get in at least a 20 mile exercise ride 3 or 4 times a week,
I do one long ride on the weekend, at least 40 miles, usually less than 80. I take 2 or 3 weekend
camping / touring trips a year. I ride my mountain bike 2 to 4 times a month on a good hard ride in the
foothills of town.

3 to 7 days a week depending on weather, my schedule, and my other activities.
I get 3000 to 3500 miles a year.

Backpacking, hiking, rock climbing, all types of skiing, and swimming.
Old 07-08-05, 03:16 PM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listed last year but this year I've gained a year, now 51 but due to the rainy
season last summer didn't get to spin much if any, hope to change that
this summer, much dryer so far. Same bike but would like to start saving up
for something a little nicer, although I do like the ride of this older frame

posted on 10-24-04
Please tell us your age. 50 years young as of Jan 31 this year, 2004

I ride a 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2

No, but am considering doing so.

gained some weight, so yes, slowed down a little but am determined to rectify that asap!

1976, same bike all these years, not a long distance rider though.

I ride during my lunch hour to do my errands, which means pressing the time to get back inside an hour, need to start taking some trips on the weekends too.

This year it has dropped off, MUCH rain held me back, last year I was doing 80 miles
a week, seems low compared to everyone else no doubt.

Weight lifting, free weights, dumb bells

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?? still 50, this didn't take that long to type
G2
Old 07-12-05, 09:13 PM
Lost again
Directionally Challenged

Bikes: 2000 Turner Burner, MTB, 2007 Turner 5 Spot MTB, 08 Bianchi Axis CX bike, Giant TCR 01 Carbon Road,Surly 1X1 ss MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 3 bikes.The road bike is a Giant Carbon fiber TCR01.
The next bike is a Turner 02 Mountain bike. My first love.
And my ol faithful who is always there for me is my singlespeed Surly 1X1.

Nope.

As a younger man I would always strive to be the best and would accept nothing less.I had the ability to continue on when all my peers would quit. I can't do that any longer though as I don't have the reserves as some of the younger crowd. I have slowed substancially,but I have the ability to outlast most of my friends and others I ride with.

I smoked for 26 years and quit when I picked up my first mountain bike 6 years ago. Only biked as a kid.

Mostly mountain,but I also do long distance rides like double centuries.I've done 5 in the last 4 months. I have raced occasionally,but I wouldn't consider myself a racer.

Every other day or more.I average around 5000 miles now a year.

I do some running and swimming for tri training.Lately I've been only on the bike though.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Old 07-13-05, 07:05 AM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just yesterday I made this sign up, posted an 8 x 10 in my office and a smaller
version for home on my fridge, just to help keep me focused!

G2
Old 07-14-05, 06:09 PM
foggydew
Life is simply timing...

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone (2005) / Cannondale T700 Touring (1994)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1994 Cannondale T700, 2005 Kona Cinder Cone. The 'dale has about 55000 km on it. I'm now mostly am riding the Kona.

I used to take supplements but not for the past eight years. I guess I really question the claims of the manufacturers which seem to me more anecdotal than based on fact. I have been a vegetarian (mostly vegan) for the past 12 years.

I have slowed down as far as the distances that I was logging in the '90s but still have the same mental attitude. A few more aches and pains but can't complain.

I have biked since I was a kid growing up on a farm in Alberta -- my brother and I were absolutely thrilled when our Dad surprised us with new CCM bicycles. I didn't realize it then but it must have been a huge sacrifice for my parents - we were dirt poor back then!! As an adult my first bicycle was a British Falcon which I rode for about 15 years. Have used my bicycles extensively for commuting in Edmonton and for the past seventeen years in South West British Columbia.

Mostly commuting a couple times/week (40km round trip) and short rec rides. Would really like to start touring again but my relationship of six years would suffer -- not willing to risk that. She doesn't cycle.

3-4 times/week - averaging about 150km/wk right now but the annual mileage will be only around 2500km - a far cry from the 10-11000 km/year that was riding in the 90's.

Run, walk, badminton, some yoga...

I'm fifty-three.
Old 07-14-05, 09:00 PM
coconut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, my name is 'coconut', I am a female and live in Australia.
I have a touring bike, a Giant, my bike's name is 'Cypress'.
I take no supplements, vitamins, medication. Nothing at all.
Have I slowed down? No, I feel I get stronger with the years.
For many years I was a keen backpacker, now I discovered the bike, that was 4 years ago.
I did a bit racing which is fun, absolutely fun, now I am touring and I ride my bike more or less every day, make approx 8000 km a year.
Other activities? Still love walking, but nothing else. I am not sporty at all. But in my mind is to travel around the world, in any case from Scandinavia to Australia, may be in 2006. (I biked in Asia 2500 km, 2004. In 2005 I rode my bike around the South Island of New Zealand, 2300 km)
My age? A wonderful 63

Life is too short, enjoy it!
To all of you, happy cycling, take care and enjoy!
Old 07-15-05, 10:24 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a Trek 3900 xc mtb six weeks ago.

Every so often, I buy a bottle of vitamins, but I always forget to take them.

I do feel the impact of aging, coupled with a sedentary life. Seems like there's always something that aches a little, or is a little cranky, or whatever. Nothing major, just always some little thing. I do know I'm far less flexible than I was thirty years ago.

I'm new at it, in a way. I haven't biked much in twenty years. In 1984 or so, I completed a 50 mile Ensenada to Rosarito race, and that was the furthest I've ever ridden in one day. I was way out of shape and it took me 6 hours. I haven't ridden much since then. Until six weeks ago.

My rides are mostly urban rides in San Diego, but I try to find low traffic places. I love riding in a neighborhood called Kensington, or down the Coronado Strand (along the ocean), or around any of the several small lakes in the area. During the week, I'm up to 3-4 10 mile rides, and on weekends, 20 is now becoming standard. But then again, I'm just getting started. I'm trying to simply imagine what it must be like to ride a Century.

My goal is 2,500 for the first year back. Tonight I hit 200 miles for the first 5.5 weeks. Hey, it's a start!

I lift a knife and fork far too often, but other than that, not much. I have a gym membership but can't stay motivated to go.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-15-05, 10:27 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary W. Graley
Just yesterday I made this sign up, posted an 8 x 10 in my office and a smaller
version for home on my fridge, just to help keep me focused!

G2
Wow, that's terrific! And since I'm a Gary too, I just might have to do something similar. Good luck!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-16-05, 06:26 AM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Gary! and I posted that sign to help others maybe make something as a
constant reminder of things that they want to be focused on in their life, it's
handy and works, so far! My legs are still complaining to me on my rides but
a little less yesterday which is a good thing!
A bike that I've always been interested in was a Trek 1500, will have to save
up and pick one of those up some time!
G2
Old 07-16-05, 08:06 AM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 50

Marin Stinson and Specialized Allez Sport 27

No.

Somewhat, but the good feeling during workouts is still there!

Have been riding derailleur bikes (aside from the early years) since 1972.

Ride regularly for workouts (mixed fartleks), with occasional longer rec ride on weekends.

Usually six days a week, 10+ miles a day, with longer rec rides on weekends. By this time next year, perhaps 3,000 miles or more?

No running anymore, but plenty of walking.
Old 07-24-05, 01:11 PM
arpolis
AR

Bikes: A 2004 TREK 7500 Hybrid and 2005 GIANT COMPOSITE OCR2.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GREETINGS,

I am 67 years old. I am sure that I have slowed down, but I can still run, ride, swim and ski. I am a novice rider and own a 2004 TREK 7500 and an all carbon 2005 GIANT Composite OCR 2. I take a number of vitamins and supplements, including glucosomine sulphate.

In the spring, summer, fall, I try to ride at least three times a week. In summer, I ride six days a week about 30 miles a day for about eight weeks when I vacation st the NJ Shore.

I late fall and winter, I do more indoors, but ski about 20-30 days a year. In general, I work out 4-6 days a week.

AR
Old 07-25-05, 02:56 PM
Duck22
Virginia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Gary Fisher Nirvana 2004; replaced the suspension seatpost with a hardpost and added Shimano M520 clipless pedals.

Costco multivitamin and an aspirin a day.

Not much - heavier than I was at 25, but still as aerobically fit and a little more muscular.

Biked as s kid, slacked off in college, biked a bit for commuting while in the service, but nothing to speak of between '78 and '04.

25-30 miles on a weekend day, as fast as comfortable (avg 14.5 mph yesterday in the heat); maybe some climbs in my hilly neighborhood one morning a week.

Once a week, 750 mi/year.

Crossbow gym in the basement; warm up for that on an Air-Dyne.
Old 07-26-05, 07:12 PM
strider

Bikes: Olmo Millenium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
64 in a couple of weeks

Olmo Millenium road bike.

Use Ultima, Endurox, E Gel and E Fuel as a distance runner. I suspect I will continue with those products as a new cyclist,

In running, I've actually gotten faster since I started and assume the same will occur once I've built a good cycling conditioning/endurance base. Aerobically, I'm fine. I need to get my riding muscles in shape.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Biked as a kid. Had a "comfort bike" for around the neighborhood. Just getting into serious road biking now, a newbie!!

Right now its been bike familiarization and moving into "base building" to use a distance runners expression, putting on mileage. Hope to do long rides and maybe try a race or two.

6. How often do you bike?
Right now, 3-4 times a week. Run other days.
Your approximate annual mileage?
Check back with me in a year. I just got my bike in June.

Marathon/distance runner year around and resistance training with a Total Gym. Walking, some Golfing, canoeing, SCUBA and skiing in the past.
Old 07-29-05, 06:04 PM
bauldie

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Bianchi Veloce

50+Vitamin, Hawthorne, Baby Aspirn, Garlique & Flax Seed Oil
And After A Ride Endurox R4

Yes, Some

Around A Wile, Also A Has Been Runner (got a replacement hip)

Rides Of Varring Distance 8, 16, 30

Average 100 Miles A Wk, When Weather Permits (michigan)

Mild Weight Lifting And Yoga

60 Years Old
Old 07-31-05, 04:48 PM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-Specialized "ROUBAIX" road bike

- Taken supplements for over 30 years. Multi-vitamin, C, E, B complex, folic acid.

- Do not have the strength or recover as quickly. Use all the gears on a good ride.

-Biked to some degree all my life. Quit at 35 when house and kids arrived ! Restarted at 51 with a vengance !

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Long rides, 40 to 60 km each during the week and manage a 100 km (Metric Century) ride on the weekends lately.

- Since restarting in March of this year I have totalled 3,000 km to date (today)! Bike at least 5 to 6 times per week.

Old 08-01-05, 08:18 AM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm on a borrowed bike called 'Giordana'. I have no idea if this is a good or bad bike. It's blue. The gearing is odd too. It seems to be for going very fast, but not at all uphill. The small chainring is 45 and the set of sprockets in the rear (cluster??) is very small. I ride around on the small chainring always except for downhills over 25 mph.

No.

Here I win the prize as I'm brand new to bicycling. The longest ride I ever took in my life was yesterday. I set a PR weekly. I am in a furious competition with myself and I win always.

New. I bought a mountain bike then my buddy lent me a road bike he had as a parts bike. That got me on the road which I enjoy enormously. It was this forum that made a huge difference because folks here taught me how to fit my bike to me and to buy those odd looking tights 'racers' wear. Now I can ride as long as I care to where before I had 45 minutes & then I'm screaming in pain and unwilling to ride again for a week.

For me, all rides are long. I enjoy getting up about 0500 to ride down by the river & see the sun come up down there. Then I ride home.

Now I'm am riding 4 days a week. I need an annual to see what my miles will be. Lately I'm averaging >100 miles a week. I doubt i can do that in winter or when my job picks up in demand.

I am a dirt bike rider, a road motorcylist and a gym rat. I am taking this time of low employment to indulge myself which for me means being on bikes or in the gym. If money was no object, this would be the rest of my days....

Old 08-02-05, 02:49 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

Please tell us your age.

Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple

Daily multi-vitamin, assorted other stuff that's supposed to "promote prostate health".

None. I'm in the best health I've been for 20 years.

Laid off biking for about 25 years. Just started up again last year.

20+ miles is our usual ride. on weekends, double that. We also occasionally will go on organized rides of 50-70 miles.

This year, we've done 2700+ miles... so far

We use a bowflex 4 times per week. Situps, stretching, etc.

Did I pass?

Steve
Old 08-02-05, 02:54 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Did I pass?
Nope - get thee to the 49 and less group. You simply are not ready for the 50+ group.
Old 08-04-05, 04:08 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I am 51 years old

A 2001 Univega Modo Volare and an old steel Panasonic

Glucosamine and chondroitin, a multi vitamin, Udo’s oil or Fish oil. I also drink at least one protein shake every day. I try to eat ever three hours.

Yes and no. I do not heal as fast as I used to. But I just managed a 300 pound competition squat, which is a personal best for me.

On an off, 30 years

I come home from work, and try to get in 10 to 15 miles. Sunday morning, around 30 to 40 with longer “special trips thrown in.

In the summer, anywhere from 2 to 4 times a week. I have no idea of my annual mileage.

During the winter months I focus on my weight training. HEAVY weight and stick to basic movements like squats, bench press, chins, deadlifts, etc.
Old 08-05-05, 09:57 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Please tell us your age.
Road bicycle, lugged steel, 105, downtube shifters

No.

I don't feel slower.

Since '64 (12 y/o), but more seriously since '96 (45 y/o).

Long rides, commute, trainining rides.

6 or 7 days a week, 10-11,000 km a year, about 6,500 miles.

No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.