Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Old 01-11-17, 10:22 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Raining in LA but I am feeling pretty much over being sick so I hopped on the trainer this am for a workout. Two ten minute threshold intervals and then 30 min of cadence work.

Man those threshold intervals seemed really hard. I got really hot during the first one and then figured out the Mr H had set up one of my two box fans pointing in the wrong direction. I got him to fix that and I felt better for the second one but it still felt ridiculously hard.

I find the cadence stuff somewhat fun but 15 minutes into that, I became completely overwhelmed with thinking about how much stuff I have to get done (work wise) over the next week and how little time I have to do it. I almost aborted the workout.

Then I got it together, I told myself back in Oct that if nothing else this season could be about learning to ride & train well when life is noisy. So I stayed on the bike & finished the workout. Glad I did.

Crazy day today. Interviewing a neuro candidate, full appt schedule, a high risk anesthesia for a brain work up (high risk in that the dog could die), a spinal surgery on a paralyzed pug, a heart work up to organize (no, not my department, it's prelim stuff to a brain work up, except the dog also has pneumonia so I've got to treat that too), and then take the interviewee out to dinner tonight. It will be a long day and lots of balls to keep in the air.

Then my train is cancelled and Mr H has to drive me to work. Starting my day 40 min behind schedule. Oh joy.

Old 01-11-17, 01:26 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Zwift, Richmond, 60 Minute Riders Choice. I was supposed to meet LH from Reno, but she texted me to tell me that she's dealing with flood issues and couldn't make it.

I rode the Venge. I finally have the resistance issue sorted. I found I have to be careful how hard I tighten the roller against the back wheel. It will cause the wheel to slightly bind, worth about ten watts (maybe more) if I tighten it too much.

This was one tough course! Wow. I totally immersed myself. I'm amazed at how much my silly brain makes me think I'm on the real road! Even on my stupid trainer. I see a hill, I feel lactic, and power droops a little, and I react. I see a sprint, I wind and up and go! Total buy in, it's amazing.

I rode this really well this morning. It was definitely crit level for HR, speed and average power. I stayed at 2.1 or so watts/kg for a good part of it. For Libby Hill, I paced my way up (man, that was hard!!), and even passed a good number of other riders. That finish stretch is just mean, and I buried myself to get a good sprint there. Now I know what the UCI Worlds women (and men) were feeling on that finish. Total OWWW!

I stayed in it for about 40 minutes, and then had to recover. I rode at recovery pace for ten minutes, and then did some over/unders. The last ten minutes I rode at FTP, and the last two minutes I threw it down. Came away sopped, tired, and feeling pretty good about myself! Even though I'm fat.

Zwift is the Real Deal. I am impressed!
Old 01-11-17, 01:28 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@Heathpack, you're getting the weather we've had here for the past several days. Just love that LA traffic!
Old 01-11-17, 01:37 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sara, try racing. I can easily get my power and HR higher than in the road, because there is zero rest on the trainer.
Old 01-11-17, 01:46 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Sara, try racing. I can easily get my power and HR higher than in the road, because there is zero rest on the trainer.
Just like the track!

I jumped right in this morning, Shovell, with really too little warmup. I'd love to try a race, but I'm going to have to figure out a warmup before I do. Perhaps I'll do Coach's TT warmup, which is just great. Then do a race!
Old 01-11-17, 02:55 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11318 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by rapwithtom
You're killing me! (...or you will be when I next ride with you.) You make it impossible to be a guilt-free couch potato.

PS - I probably should change my Zwift name from "Bahati" to "Round Mound of Rebound".

PPS - what is "TRS" that everybody keeps mentioning?
No guilt intended. Sitting on the couch watching the Food Network whilst eating bon bons would be A-OK if I had the natural gifts of many here. I don't, so instead it's Wheeler Dealers and 2x45's tonight.

I'm assuming TRS is the plan of the day from the coach.
Old 01-11-17, 08:00 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
5.2 miles ru**i*g at noon. Tempo with 54'/mi elevation gain. About flat as it gets :-(
Some pace work and big gear work in the evening. Legs are kilt.
Old 01-11-17, 08:23 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
2:47 at endurance pace this morning, starting at 5:30. Got to see the moon set and the sun rise. Still some vestiges of tiredness from last Sunday, I think, but it was a good ride.

Coach sent my training schedule up through the first weekend of February. One day with 3x20' SST, one of 4x20' SST, one with 1x20' at threshold and then 2x20' at SST, a five hour ride one Sunday and a six hour one the next. Gonna hold a negative TSB for a while, it seems. Sleep shouldn't be an issue during this block.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-11-17, 10:20 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
Just like the track!

I jumped right in this morning, Shovell, with really too little warmup. I'd love to try a race, but I'm going to have to figure out a warmup before I do. Perhaps I'll do Coach's TT warmup, which is just great. Then do a race!
For the scheduled rides and races that use the race module, it sets up a virtual trainer at the start line for warming up.
Old 01-12-17, 07:47 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by LAJ
I'm assuming TRS is the plan of the day from the coach.
It just stands for "Training & Racing Scedule". It's where you'd look to see what ride/workout you're doing on any given day.
Old 01-12-17, 11:08 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
I got my new training schedule. It looks like I am going to be licking my paws a lot. It is one thing to train and race like a cheetah and another thing to then look like one. I may have to change my food supply chain and just eat what I can kill.
Old 01-12-17, 12:11 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
It just stands for "Training & Racing Scedule". It's where you'd look to see what ride/workout you're doing on any given day.
And your's are killer right now. Great work yesterday
Old 01-12-17, 12:33 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Two hours at endurance pace this morning. It was one of those days when you start out feeling tired and unmotivated, and then your legs wake up. Off the bike from now until Tuesday, have to go to VA for a family funeral. The fun starts (see above) when I get back.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-12-17, 06:20 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Went to my new Medicine Man today (the previous one retired or ascended directly to heaven sitting slightly above God according to MD belief).

Labs very good, this that & the other surprisingly good for an elderly reprobate/wreck and the right question from the MD:

MD: "Anything change or is bothering you since your last visit?"
Bandera: "Yes, my right hip is a bit painful since Xmas after cycling an hour or so in Hill Country."
MD: "Stay off the bicycle for a while then."
Bandera: "You're Fired."

We now understand each other, I have a script for PT and I'm taking a few days off the bike.
Where is that bottle of dusty VSOP Cognac?

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 01-12-17 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 06:36 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Went to my new Medicine Man today (the previous one retired or ascended directly to heaven sitting slightly above God according to MD belief).

Labs very good, this that & the other surprisingly good for an elderly reprobate/wreck and the right question from the MD:

MD: "Anything change or is bothering you since your last visit?"
Bandera: "Yes, my right hip is a bit painful since Xmas after cycling an hour or so in Hill Country."
MD: "Stay off the bicycle for a while then."
Bandera: "You're Fired."

We now understand each other, I have a script for PT and I'm taking a few days off the bike.
Where is that bottle of dusty VSOP Cognac?

-Bandera
how do you drink yours?

lately i discovered tripel sec and have been adding a dash of it to Cognac. really should not delve so much into spirits as i'm already a big fan of Belgian ales

-----

in other news, first outdoor ride for me in 6-7 weeks.
Old 01-12-17, 06:54 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
how do you drink yours?

lately i discovered tripel sec and have been adding a dash of it to Cognac. really should not delve so much into spirits as i'm already a big fan of Belgian ales

-----

in other news, first outdoor ride for me in 6-7 weeks.
I inherited a bubble thin crystal balloon style brandy snifter set that have to be >75 years old that I use on the rare occasions that the VSOP is called forth.
As an aside I'm reading Zola's "The Belly of Paris" in translation as well for the full effect.

"Lettuces, endives, chicory open and with rich soil clinging to their roots, exposed their swelling hearts; bunches of spinach, sorrel, and artichokes, piles of peas and beans... a continuous scale of rising and falling notes...." -Zola

Never considered Tripel Sec, which is always on hand, for anything other than my extremely debilitating Patron Margueritas.
They are just this side of a Pan-Galactic-Gargle-Blaster and outlawed as Beverages of Mass Dissipation but Zola would have two at least. ......

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 01-12-17 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 10:49 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

VSC track workout. Warmup followed by two jumps. Then 4xflying150 meters 20 minutes RBI. TSS 131.

Here is the last one in a 96. I did this with another racer who pulled off after 100 meters - 133 rpm, 37.1 mph.

Old 01-13-17, 10:23 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@Hermes, nice! I'll be at VSC next Saturday. I am excited!

I saw my doctor yesterday. I had a long talk with him, and he went over labs. My creatinine is high, yes, but he said because all of my other numbers are so good that that number doesn't mean anything. He said that next year, when my OB/GYN orders blood work, to do it NON fasting, that will give a more realistic number. He was totally unphased. I liked that!

As for my back he said "get used to it". Okaaaay. He said IF it gets worse, he'd order a nerve blocker. Okaaaaay again. In his final act of defiance, he ordered a colonoscopy for me, because it's been more than ten years since my last (and only) one.

In other news....

Strength and core this morning in my new gym. I quit the gym that I had been going to for several years because the place was becoming run down. All of my spin class friends had abandoned a month ago. I was the last holdout. The new place is just that, a new Golds Gym in Del Monte Center in Monterey. It's just beautiful, and the staff is so nice. I had a great workout this morning, too. Excited!
Old 01-13-17, 12:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@sarals Thanks Sara. Good luck with Andrew assuming he is the instructor at VSC. He usually is and probably the pick of the litter. He is Russian and I know you have a lot of experience with certain tall Russians. Think Putin.

Tires at VSC....The more grippy the tire is the better. I ride Vittoria tubulars and Tufo Elite tubulars (casing only no tube) and they work perfectly. Most tires both clincher and tubular will work and not slip at adequate speeds. However, hard casing "cheaper" clinchers or tubulars that work at Hellyer may not work well at VSP. Colored tires are generally not good.

Before we go on the track at VSP, we scrub the surface of our tires with alcohol and a scrubbing pad to remove any oxidization / mold. So even if you have been riding the tires at Hellyer or they are new, they may have mold on the tire that may come in contact with the track at certain speeds and cause the loss of traction. Andrew may or may not bring up the alcohol but know that he has alcohol in his locker and uses it.

Think flying helicopters...everything has to be right to allow the pilot the maximum chance to survive any and all occurrences. Margin for error is less at VSC than Hellyer. Sometimes racers promote ideas that are good enough or works for them. That is true until it doesn't work for them.

We have not had any problems with slippage but we also maintain adequate speeds. And if you think this is not a problem...a couple of years ago we were waiting to get on the track. A club had the track with a couple of coaches who were organizing mock races and efforts. I watched 2 racers crash solo while doing efforts in the pole lane. I think what happened is they got on the blue band in the turn and came back onto the track. There is a slight change in elevation when leaving the blue band that can throw a rider if you are not expecting it or totally relaxed. The other was a group of 5 started together and approached a turn going very slowly. We jumped up in the stands and started screaming at them to go faster. They did not and they all crashed when they hit the turn. In all cases, nothing serious but that is just a matter of luck. The ahem, coaches, were not very good instructors although they may be great racers.

The other matter is the forces on the bikes and riders due to the shorter radius turns. At 35 mph, one will pull 2 "G"s in a turn. So making sure that everything is tight including seats and seat posts and etc. are important.

And if you think that you cannot go that fast, think again. Since the top of the track is 34 feet above the floor, one can dive off the 45 degree banking and generate a lot of speed. In the accelerated class, you will be doing a flying 200 from the balustrade.

Have fun, be confident and relaxed and you will be a rock star.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-13-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 12:18 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
that sounds fun and scary...
Old 01-13-17, 01:40 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by echappist
that sounds fun and scary...
Haha well even I did not crash out at VSC, so it's pretty doable really.

When you get there, @sarals, the expectation is that you wait in the pit area for your "preflight" instruction. Don't just go out and start riding, that will cause a brouhaha.

Check in at the front desk when you arrive and they will tell you how to get down to the pit area. It's weird because you have to exit the building to do so.

Bring water, there's none down on the track, so you'd have to exit the building and walk back up to the spectator area to get some. Also use the restroom first, there's also no restroom access from down on the track. And bring some calories.
Old 01-13-17, 06:00 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@Heathpack, LOL! OF course you didn't crash!
@Hermes, actually I'm renting one of the Felts when I get to the track. I'm travelling with two friends and I'm beholden to them, and there is just no room in the car for my bike. I am bringing my pedals and saddle, though.

Thank you, thank you!, for all of the tips and information on how to set the bike up for the track. I've printed that, it'll come in handy for when I do go down there with my bike.
Old 01-13-17, 11:40 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
@sarals, what time is your session next Saturday? Is it the 1:00p private training session that's on the calendar?

If it is, I can stop by for moral support and to say hi.

I've had two crashes on the track at VSC and I started training there pretty much since it opened in 2004. One when someone crashed above me and slid down in front of me. The other time was when I didn't clean new tires well enough.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 01-14-17, 01:05 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Cleave
@sarals, what time is your session next Saturday? Is it the 1:00p private training session that's on the calendar?

If it is, I can stop by for moral support and to say hi.

I've had two crashes on the track at VSC and I started training there pretty much since it opened in 2004. One when someone crashed above me and slid down in front of me. The other time was when I didn't clean new tires well enough.
@Cleave! I'll be doing the intro session at 10AM. Barb is going to be there at 8AM for her session, and I plan to be there to watch and familiarize. It would be great to see you, I hope you can come earlier!
Old 01-14-17, 03:14 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Skipped my 40k TT today with the idea I'd head out with a friend and we'd join a local group ride, maybe 3 hr ride. Yikes good thing I decided not to race, I was mega-struggling. I could do some strong efforts but it didn't feel good-hard to do them, it felt bad-hard. So I pulled the plug on the ride at a logical turn-off point & my friend decided to ride back with me. Just wasn't my day, still coming back from being sick I think.

However bright spot of the day:

Look at numbers 8 on that leaderboard. Total lol, we must have had a tail wind.

Last edited by Heathpack; 01-14-17 at 03:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.