Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Taking photos while moving

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Taking photos while moving

Old 03-29-19, 07:55 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb

Grabbing a video frame is not the best way to capture a photo.m while riding. Using a real still camera allows you to capture much higher quality photos.

A Gopro screen grab, even at 4K using Protune, pales in comparison.

One advantage to using a Gopro is that you can easily capture immersive shots, albeit it lower quality.

In that case, then stop, get off your bike, and compose the shot the way it should be done. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

So.Much.Fear.
Prudence, not fear.
Old 03-29-19, 07:59 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
But is it OK to eat your cake while riding? Might bite into a birthday candle or something.
Old 03-29-19, 08:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I agree video frame grabs aren't great. also taking a still pic with a sportcam isn't great compared to a legit still camera of higher quality. but I'm sometimes happy with a still pic with my sportcam. it's tough to time it tho. this one is recent. not a magnificent landscape but I'm happy to capture the scene in the moment. I've ridden by this scene so many times, it's nice to share it w ppl who may not be familiar with the variety of scenes along the CCRT. pretty sure it's understood that it's just conveying the scene & visual flaws are accepted. but maybe that's just me

Old 03-29-19, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
you can certainly have your PB&J in a pic & eat it too. that's what feed bags are for right? just not simultaneously ...

Old 03-29-19, 09:14 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I know a guy who routinely videos parts of his rides with a handheld iphone and uploads the result to youtube.

These are often long group rides/events and he's well known for doing this.

Oddly, of hundreds that have shown up in the videos, none complain, tell him to stop, or cower.
Old 03-29-19, 09:54 AM
JackTheBikeGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I NEED a drone for biking, I think it would be amazing and I’d highly recommend it to everyone, you can take some amazing pictures
Old 03-29-19, 10:54 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
This is the best (and safest) way to do it. If you have the GoPro or other similar action camera it should be set to the highest resolution (4K) for the best rest results.

The thing about photography is that if you take enough photos you're bound to get some that look good. Nevertheless, that "random occurance" does not dismiss the fact that every time you take a hand off the handle bars and divert your attention you increase your likelihood of causing an accident or injury. Even taking a drink has to be at the right instance and under the right conditions, and that's a lot less distracting of your attention.

Just because something can be done doesn't make it prudent or safe, or wise. That's what he's taking about. But I'm sure this isn't something you don't already know.
I think you under estimate some people's skill and ability. My wife and I have decades of riding experience, a lot of that on loaded touring bikes. This winter while riding down to the gym my wife pulled up beside me and told me that I forgot to turn on my tail light. She told me to hold steady, then reached down and turned my tail light on. We were going about 17 mph on a road with little traffic. She handles a bike exceptionally well and is not timid. Taking a picture while riding is a much easier operation.
Old 03-29-19, 11:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Somebody needs to start a "Your photos while riding" thread.

-Tim-
Old 03-29-19, 12:24 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have dozens, and some of them are even in focus.
Old 03-29-19, 12:49 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Please pardon my preachiness. Personally, this sounds about as safe as texting while driving and we all know how we feel about that. In addition, any shot you grab under these circumstances will likely be of less than stellar quality.

Have you ever grabbed any of those shots of Michigan's record vs ohio state the last 10 15 years?
Old 03-29-19, 01:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think the argument was about equivalency to texting & driving. So a car driving on this same empty road, would texting at the same time be just as non risky?
Go back and read his posts. When his argument that I was endangering other fell through because there were no others to endanger he changed his tack and claimed I was putting myself (and my partner) in danger and actually wished me injury.
Old 03-29-19, 01:21 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Doug64
I think you under estimate some people's skill and ability. My wife and I have decades of riding experience, a lot of that on loaded touring bikes. This winter while riding down to the gym my wife pulled up beside me and told me that I forgot to turn on my tail light. She told me to hold steady, then reached down and turned my tail light on. We were going about 17 mph on a road with little traffic. She handles a bike exceptionally well and is not timid. Taking a picture while riding is a much easier operation.
+1. I have remedied my own dropped chain while riding. Taken a water bottle out of someone else's cage and replaced it with one of mine. When I used to wear "half shorts" I pulled them down and relieved myself a couple of times without stopping.

When I shoot while riding (which I don't really do these days because I don't have an easy-to-operate POS camera at the moment) my hand is off the bar for maybe 5 seconds. Probably often less. When my hand goes up I have already visualized the shot and likely even set the zoom. If I can't get the short in that short amount of time the camera comes back down.
Old 03-29-19, 02:20 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Doug64
Only their good judgement.
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have dozens, and some of them are even in focus.
My point exactly.
Old 03-29-19, 02:31 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
You guys are good.
I can eat, drink and take off and put on clothing while cycling.
But I can't take photos. Maybe it's just my phone, but logging in the password, pulling up the camera program, focusing and then shooting is usually a near death experi9ence.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-29-19, 03:02 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
You guys are good.
I can eat, drink and take off and put on clothing while cycling.
But I can't take photos. Maybe it's just my phone, but logging in the password, pulling up the camera program, focusing and then shooting is usually a near death experi9ence.
On an iPhone you can swipe left from the lock screen to go directly to the camera and bypass the need to unlock so that helps.
Old 03-30-19, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Anyone who has used bar end shifter knows you have to take a hand off the bars to shift without awkwardness. I beg of you not to write to the CPSC and asked that they be banned. I really like them for touring.
Old 03-30-19, 08:04 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I've taken thousands of pictures while moving, either with my phone or with my little Canon.

I've only broken arm doing so twice.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-30-19, 01:56 PM
indyfabz

Up close and personal.

Old 03-30-19, 04:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Lucky for me he didn't slam on his brakes while I was pressing the shutter button.

Old 03-30-19, 04:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The amount of nannying going on in this thread is impressive, even by BF standards. I can ride without hands for pretty much as long as I feel like-- I don't think holding the couple ounces of phone in one hand is going to cause me to crash in a ball of flames. I can also drink water, eat food, take off my arm warmers or jacket, take off my helmet to let a bee out of it... all sorts of things, really. I'm glad I have a high enough level of bike handling skills that the notion of having a phone in one hand doesn't strike me as dangerous. Hell, probably 75% of my Instagram was taken while moving on a bicycle.

I died shortly after I snapped these.

Old 03-30-19, 06:03 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I'm happy for you and those that can.
Old 03-30-19, 07:03 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I carry a fz300 superzoom in a holster on a belt. So no, no pictures while riding.
Old 04-01-19, 11:13 AM
barrychung8

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most GoPro and action cameras have a timelapse feature that will take photos at set intervals (usually various from every few seconds to minutes) That would probably be the best bet for getting photos of better resolution then a screen grab from a video. You'll have to make sure the camera saves the photos though instead of automatically compiling them into a video.

The downside is that it will do this for the entire duration of your ride and you'll have to find the one photo you want.
Old 04-01-19, 11:25 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I got several years out of a Canon Powershot until it succumbed to sweat. $20 used on Craigslist. Easy to get in & out of the jersey pocket.

The Lumix one I have now has a smaller on/off button & doesn't seem to seal up as well so may not last as long, but works fine & was free.
Old 04-01-19, 11:27 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by barrychung8
Most GoPro and action cameras have a timelapse feature that will take photos at set intervals (usually various from every few seconds to minutes) That would probably be the best bet for getting photos of better resolution then a screen grab from a video. You'll have to make sure the camera saves the photos though instead of automatically compiling them into a video.

The downside is that it will do this for the entire duration of your ride and you'll have to find the one photo you want.
That discovery can be fun, if not specific. Someone also mentioned that the you can use voice commands with the latest versions provided the environment isn't too noisy. As a photographer I will always choose to compose my photos as apposed to trying to "catching it on the fly." In fact, when I'm really serious about the photos I don't mix the two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.