Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Use of dropper post?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Use of dropper post?

Old 03-06-20, 11:39 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Use of dropper post?

So now that I bought the Kona Honzo, I am the proud owner of a bike with a dropper post. The LBS guy explained its use, but it feels a bit awkward. One second I'm siting on the saddle at the proper height, the next I'm eight inches lower. Share with me your thoughts on the dropper post and its best uses. I'm getting too old to figure these things out for myself. Thanks
Old 03-06-20, 02:18 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
The dropper post allows you to do two things at the right seat height easily, rather than stopping and having to loosen and drop your post manually.

When climbing, or riding flat, you want your seat higher so you get good leg extension and balance.
When you go downhill, especially on technical terrain, you want to drop your seat (and center of balance) so you don't go over the bars.
That's the basic concept.

Set your dropper so its at the best height for riding when extended (high). Then you get whatever drop it allows.
Once you start riding mixed terrain with one you will like it. A good example I did last year was Slickrock Trail in Moab. Used that dropper a lot as the route was like a roller coaster of ups and downs!
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-06-20, 09:17 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
When you are going down hill lower the post . It gets the seat the heck out of the way. You can get low off the back of the bike. You can sit low "in" the bike. In fact you can maneuver however you please! Best invention since the front shock. Congratulations!
Old 03-07-20, 06:34 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Low seats

that’s for the BMX riders
Old 03-07-20, 01:24 PM
grubetown

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
It will take a few rides to get used to it. I have ridden one for three years and can’t imagine going back to a regular post on my mountain bike. Where I ride it is more rolling and a middle position is great. It really happens with cornering also. Enjoy the ride!
Likes For grubetown:
Old 03-07-20, 06:29 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Low seats

that’s for the BMX riders
It's for Mountain Biker's using in a instant a push of the lever. Your own weight drops the seat down and out of the way. When your ready to raise it you instantly press the lever and it raises right back up to your level. Its for Mountain Bikers. Higher end Gravel bikes are even coming with them they are so useful.

Last edited by Gconan; 03-07-20 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-07-20, 09:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I am sure OP is clear on how it works, he owns one.

I've had mine for less than half a year and still getting used to it. Basically any time you are out of the saddle, it's better with the saddle further out of the way. That's not just for stunts. Tricky or steep descents, any time you want to pop the bike over something. Sudden steep climbs where you want to put in a burst of power (not grinding up a grade), you can put it down at the same time you would have panic-shifted to the granny gear before, so instead you put some torque down in a higher gear and make through with more speed.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-07-20 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spelign
Old 03-07-20, 09:26 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I just started using a dropper post as well. Most situations it's not really necessary but when you do drops downhills and jumps its just better to have the seat out of the way. It's not intuitive but you just have to start practicing and be consistent. When I ride if I come to a stop to rest I drop it down just to get used to it.
Old 03-07-20, 11:14 PM
Happy Feet

I haul my bikes around in a minivan and dropping the dropper helps when loading and unloading.
Old 03-08-20, 12:10 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm starting to use it as directed. So far, no problems, but the real mountain biking hasn't started here yet. Too much snow on the trails.
Old 03-08-20, 08:49 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
The real game changer is the lower center of for turns and getting the saddle out of your way in steep downhills and sections of tech where the bike will be going in all directions
Old 03-09-20, 09:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
The real game changer is the lower center of for turns and getting the saddle out of your way in steep downhills and sections of tech where the bike will be going in all directions
I get the use on a downhill. Turns not so much.

My local single track is very twisting but generally flat to rolling. When I going thru the turns I stop pedaling briefly, but tend to start again right after a turn, then stop for the next, then pedal, etc..... When I’m pedaling I’d want the seat at the proper height for pedaling efficiency, not dropped down. And I would not want to deal with the post going up and down, up and down, etc....

So how can this be of use in turns ?

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-09-20 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 09:45 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
So now that I bought the Kona Honzo, I am the proud owner of a bike with a dropper post. The LBS guy explained its use, but it feels a bit awkward. One second I'm siting on the saddle at the proper height, the next I'm eight inches lower. Share with me your thoughts on the dropper post and its best uses. I'm getting too old to figure these things out for myself. Thanks
So you typed all of this when the answer you seek is just a google search away?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=purpose+of+dropper+post

Too old or too lazy?
Old 03-09-20, 10:22 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I get the use on a downhill. Turns not so much.

My local single track is very twisting but generally flat to rolling. When I going thru the turns I stop pedaling briefly, but tend to start again right after a turn, then stop for the next, then pedal, etc..... When I’m pedaling I’d want the seat at the proper height for pedaling efficiency, not dropped down. And I would not want to deal with the post going up and down, up and down, etc....

So how can this be of use in turns ?
I have a trail by me like that, it's about 2 miles of just constant tight rights and lefts.
Try riding on your saddle and off to see how quickly you can react and make your bike navigate each turn. Notice how when off the saddle while making turns, the saddle gets in the way. The lower saddle positions helps you to separate you from the bike, which is what you'll eventually want to do. Riding off the saddle for extended periods will take time to build up, so expect fatigue. Also being off the saddle follows a simple rule of mtbing where you should have light hands and heavy feet. Meaning you ease off the grips and weight the pedals for better traction.
Old 03-09-20, 05:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I have a trail by me like that, it's about 2 miles of just constant tight rights and lefts.
Try riding on your saddle and off to see how quickly you can react and make your bike navigate each turn. Notice how when off the saddle while making turns, the saddle gets in the way. The lower saddle positions helps you to separate you from the bike, which is what you'll eventually want to do. Riding off the saddle for extended periods will take time to build up, so expect fatigue. Also being off the saddle follows a simple rule of mtbing where you should have light hands and heavy feet. Meaning you ease off the grips and weight the pedals for better traction.
This is one of those “you have to try it, then you’ll understand” things. Just like I resisted for 15 years things like 29” wheels, tubeless tires, lower air pressure, wider handlebars and 1X shifting, the advantages of which all became clear once I had a new bike with all those things. Sigh....
Old 03-09-20, 06:38 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Too old or too lazy?
I'm kinda in with the OP, in that I tend to turn to the BF community before turning to the almighty Google. Thinking there are members who enjoy sharing their "wisdom".

Originally Posted by Steve B.
This is one of those “you have to try it, then you’ll understand” things. Just like I resisted for 15 years things like 29” wheels, tubeless tires, lower air pressure, wider handlebars and 1X shifting, the advantages of which all became clear once I had a new bike with all those things. Sigh....
You're probably right, and I didn't give my dropper post a sufficient amount of trial. I took it off and replaced it with a Thudbuster seat post. Heresy, I know.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 03-10-20, 08:31 AM
prj71

Wisdom?

The quick google search reveals what's it for.

Drops center of gravity which is better for downhill sections of trail. This isn't rocket science.
Old 03-10-20, 08:40 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts

Too old or too lazy?
Why are any of us here.?? Google has the answer to everything. Who in their right mind would choose google over Bike Forums.?? Really dude.?? Too old or too lazy.?? Really dude. After all, you know everything. So he came here. I've seen your previous posts. Take a break buddy. Deep breaths through the nose.....

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 03-10-20 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 02:08 PM
qclabrat

Wisdom?

The quick google search reveals what's it for.

Drops center of gravity which is better for downhill sections of trail. This isn't rocket science.
I end up using mine more for tech sections with boulders and baby heads. Ass on seat just kills momentum and working the bike.
Old 03-11-20, 07:30 AM
prj71

I end up using mine more for tech sections with boulders and baby heads. Ass on seat just kills momentum and working the bike.
Yeah I can see that. I occasionally ride rock gardens myself.
Old 03-11-20, 07:32 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Who in their right mind would choose google over Bike Forums.
I do. I try searching google if I don't know. A bike forum is the last place I would look for that type of info.

One quick google search gives you this...

https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/bu...pper-seatposts

https://www.redbull.com/za-en/five-r...a-dropper-post

https://www.montaguebikes.com/foldin...sts-explained/

The fact that the OP didn't do this is just pure laziness.
Old 03-12-20, 08:41 AM
Happy Feet

Didn't you just start a thread for bikes under 1000. Isn't that an easily googled question?

It's a discussion forum. Get over yourself.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-12-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 09:23 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Didn't you just start a thread for bikes under 1000. Isn't that an easily googled question?
Yes I did. Because people keep coming here and asking that same question over and over.
Old 03-13-20, 09:41 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts

Too old or too lazy?
Shaming someone for asking online friends instead of just interacting with a computer.
Old 03-13-20, 01:15 PM
Happy Feet

Yes I did. Because people keep coming here and asking that same question over and over.
The logic of helping some lazy people who don't do google searches while slamming others is confusing. How do you determine who deserves your public shaming or not?

Is is a numbers game. Like.. you'll help a group of people but put down an individual? Or does it depend on whether it's a subject you find interesting. If it's boring you call them lazy but if you like it you'll try to make a sticky for them.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-13-20 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.