Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can you feel the hate?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Can you feel the hate?

Old 12-06-20, 11:49 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Passing the the Live Oak Cyn/Santiago Cyn T in the OC Sunday, a man waiting at the stop sign in his SUV yelled at me to shove my front blinking light up my @@@. I just grinned and shook my head. Road rage at a blinking light, what's next?

That's road-ragie and all, but I share the basic sentiment.

If you passed me with your (likely obnoxious) flashing front light, I wouldn't wave.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-06-20, 03:45 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Yeah, I see it down here in the SE USA. Our area was awarded a $20 million grant to build a bike/pedestrian bridge. The current bridge is cars only and really limits people. People have been up in arms about this talking about how much a waste it is and they should use it to improve the auto section. What is silly is that on the other side of town, they have a bike/pedestrian section on the bridge and it is highly used and is very popular.
Same thing here in Ann Arbor, MI. Driver hate is perhaps not so strong, but there is resentement about $$ spend on bicycling facilities. Thought I feel our City Coundil is not so smart about things.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 12-08-20, 07:28 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I live in a semi-rural area and still I pick my times to be on the road. There are certain roads here that are just not safe to ride so I avoid them all together. Yes there are jerks driving cars, there are also jerks riding bikes.

The new bridge pedestrian over the Lehigh River in Jim Thorpe (PA) on the D&L Trail, when all is considered has a cost of over 5 million dollars. The main considerations for the location of the span was to link the very nice Lehigh Canal towpath from the south to the Lehigh Gorge State Park (Trail) to the north. They wanted to put bodies in the downtown area of Jim Thorpe. So a bridge span and about a mile of trail. There is another bridge over the Lehigh just before the trail enters the state park, this bridge shares the span with a working railroad. I'm not sure the cost of that crossing but I'm sure it was a million dollars. So six million dollars for one mile of trail. I love using the trail but six million dollars is a lot of money and we get to share the trail with hoards of out-of-towners that have little in the way of skills or trail etiquette. So I generally avoid using the trail during peak tourists times also.

It's not just riding bicycles on MUPS either. A half mile from my place is a lake on a state park with a swimming beach. Weekends and holidays during the season, the entire park is overflowing with visitors. Monday morning brings mountains of trash and litter all over the place, benches broken, signs missing, building spray painted. The only time I go there on the weekends is as a firefighter to put out dumpster fires or EMS assist for medical emergencies. It used to be when we visited areas for pleasure we had some respect for the locals but that was a long time ago. You cannot teach respect and niceness without first having a character building foundation. No one is going to be nice to their neighbor because they read a message about it on a billboard off the interstate.
Old 12-08-20, 10:09 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
i am old enough that all this reminds me of dogpatch and al capp. He invented the group known as s.w.i.n.e. Students wildly indignant about nearly everything.
omg!
Old 12-08-20, 10:26 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,873 Times in 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I am old enough that all this reminds me of Dogpatch and Al Capp. He invented the group known as S.W.I.N.E. Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything.
"Good is better than evil cuz it's nicer!"

---Pappy Yokum
Old 12-08-20, 11:05 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
I live in a semi-rural area and still I pick my times to be on the road. There are certain roads here that are just not safe to ride so I avoid them all together. Yes there are jerks driving cars, there are also jerks riding bikes.

The new bridge pedestrian over the Lehigh River in Jim Thorpe (PA) on the D&L Trail, when all is considered has a cost of over 5 million dollars. The main considerations for the location of the span was to link the very nice Lehigh Canal towpath from the south to the Lehigh Gorge State Park (Trail) to the north. They wanted to put bodies in the downtown area of Jim Thorpe. So a bridge span and about a mile of trail. There is another bridge over the Lehigh just before the trail enters the state park, this bridge shares the span with a working railroad. I'm not sure the cost of that crossing but I'm sure it was a million dollars. So six million dollars for one mile of trail. I love using the trail but six million dollars is a lot of money and we get to share the trail with hoards of out-of-towners that have little in the way of skills or trail etiquette. So I generally avoid using the trail during peak tourists times also.

It's not just riding bicycles on MUPS either. A half mile from my place is a lake on a state park with a swimming beach. Weekends and holidays during the season, the entire park is overflowing with visitors. Monday morning brings mountains of trash and litter all over the place, benches broken, signs missing, building spray painted. The only time I go there on the weekends is as a firefighter to put out dumpster fires or EMS assist for medical emergencies. It used to be when we visited areas for pleasure we had some respect for the locals but that was a long time ago. You cannot teach respect and niceness without first having a character building foundation. No one is going to be nice to their neighbor because they read a message about it on a billboard off the interstate.
The job sure changes the perception. As a garbageman might expect his day to stink. Locally, I'm encouraged by the people who organize cleanups. It's not a sign, but an example.
Old 12-08-20, 11:16 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I'll second that. MUPs and bike paths in general are like the wild west. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen any enforcement of the rules whatsoever.
You have seen enforcement even one time, that is unusual.

Two years back I called 911 from the MUP. Unconscious teenager by side of path, turned out to be a heroin overdose. Other trail users were just walking and riding by. Police told me that they do not patrol the MUP, ever, that when I told the dispatcher my location the matter was almost dropped right there. What they get is frequent petty squabbles and disputes they just don’t want to be involved in.

The overdose victim is alive and doing well.
Old 12-08-20, 12:16 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
I guess I’m lucky nobody here cares if I am out riding my bike. There is very little thru traffic so if somebody is a jerk you will eventually know who it is.
Old 12-08-20, 12:43 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert

Two years back I called 911 from the MUP. Unconscious teenager by side of path, turned out to be a heroin overdose. Other trail users were just walking and riding by. Police told me that they do not patrol the MUP, ever, that when I told the dispatcher my location the matter was almost dropped right there. What they get is frequent petty squabbles and disputes they just don’t want to be involved in.

The overdose victim is alive and doing well.
I think I have seen it only twice, and one of them was when they were filming a commerical and had a walk zone. The LEOs were right there to enforce it. Obviously not typical!

Old 12-08-20, 12:51 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Can this subject be much different than what we have learned over the years with that of the Titanic?
Old 12-08-20, 01:11 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert

Two years back I called 911 from the MUP. Unconscious teenager by side of path, turned out to be a heroin overdose.
I used to see local cops at the beginning of the school year at a place where the trail and car student dropoffs came together, I think the school requested it because the kids weren't paying attention to the bicycle traffic.

Once I was stopped by a cop who was looking for a perp that escaped on the bike trail and the cop said I matched the description.
Old 12-08-20, 04:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Just this last week I approached a stop sign where there was through traffic to the right and left posted 45. One motorist saw me precariously balancing there (not a track stand) and slowed and stopped for me when they sure didn’t have to. I gave them a big wave.

Seven years ago while bike commuting down a two lanes posted at 35, where most go 45, there was so much traffic, there was no way I was going to insert myself in traffic to make a left turn. So I stopped on the shoulder to wait for the traffic to clear. An oncoming car saw we waiting to cross the road slowed and stopped for me to cross the road. The car behind plowed right into the nice guy at 30 not expecting the guy to stop. Stuck around and gave the police a report. Thanked the nice guy and apologized for what happened.

A week ago a kid yelled at me at me from a car window, but didn’t think anything of it since it was probably number 75 after cycling for 40+ years.

Old 12-08-20, 06:57 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I used to see local cops at the beginning of the school year at a place where the trail and car student dropoffs came together, I think the school requested it because the kids weren't paying attention to the bicycle traffic.

Once I was stopped by a cop who was looking for a perp that escaped on the bike trail and the cop said I matched the description.
They describe you or your bike?
Old 12-08-20, 08:18 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
They describe you or your bike?
Me. I didn't know what was going on at the time but he asked some odd questions. Then he told me and said I was a match. Later I saw the photo of the real guy... it was close enough to make sense. The real guy wasn't on a bike, but he could've stolen one from an innocent commuter.

It was behind John Muir hospital which you might be familiar with.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 12-09-20, 06:33 PM
curbtender

In your rear view mirror...
Old 12-09-20, 07:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender

In your rear view mirror...
Shades of the movie, Dual.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-10-20, 10:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Or to simplify, there are a lot of grumpy people in the world. They dont seem to like much of anything.
Likes For rydabent: