Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How Much Do Dynamo Hubs Really Slow You Down?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 12-18-20, 06:53 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

A number of people here use dynamo hubs. Some may wonder, how much do they slow you down?

Old 12-18-20, 11:12 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
What slows me down the most is having my rechargeable headlight die while it's dark out, and then trying to navigate the steep and twisty downhill MUP's here in southern Denver. I had my lights die on me years ago, not fun, that's why my commuter now has a dynamo.
Old 12-18-20, 02:58 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I have two bikes with dyno lights. The first one I used the on-off switch religiously, until I was surprised to get over the ridge leaving town and found out I'd left it on. I never noticed the difference. Now I just leave it on. The second has a light sensor/switch, and I let the light do the switching.

How much difference in speed? Pretty close to zero, certainly negligible in my riding.
Old 12-18-20, 07:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I don't really notice. I know it makes a slight difference but honestly I don't care too much. The lighting they create is quite helpful!
Old 12-19-20, 04:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Touring, my dynohub is almost exclusively used to create USB power. Around home, since I have a dynohub I might as well use it so I bought the lights for it too. Initially only had the front light, but added taillights several years later. Usually leave the lights on around home, but when touring and charging batteries, the dyno powered lights are off..

I know there is drag, I looked at the data before I bought my first dynohub in 2013. But,I can not feel any extra drag from the hub, I suspect that the speed difference is not much different than changing tire pressure by 1 or 2 psi.
Old 12-19-20, 08:45 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Its a good video, but it does lack a more comprehensive comparison to batteries. You can carry a lot of batteries and still come out ahead, if dynamo drag is in the 3-15w range. For instance, it takes less than 3W to ascend an additional 1 kilogram on a 10% slope at 10 km/h (!). - not to mention the price of good dynamos and the plug5 charger. Yikes! :-)
Old 12-20-20, 10:51 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
To decide whether a dyno hub makes sense requires you to take into account a lot of variables. Perhaps just knowing that you won't need to worry about recharging is enough to decide the matter. Or the abstract appeal of being completely off the grid. But if you're going strictly by the numbers, you need to look at how often you'd need to recharge a battery, how long it will take to recharge, whether you'll have opportunities to recharge when needed, the relative losses of extra weight vs hub drag (if that matters to you). Etc.

Over on bicycles.stackexchange.com, there's a discussion on the subject of dyno hubs specifically for bikepacking races, and even within that narrow context, it was pointed out that Mike Hall sometimes used dyno hubs and sometimes did not.
Old 12-21-20, 08:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
7 minutes of 100k, I think I can live with that. Maybe if I was racing night crits I would worry about it
Old 12-22-20, 08:46 AM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Since there is basically no new design in dyno hubs, numbers from 2013 are still valid.... with load (3W lighting), all SON/SP/Shimano hubs have at most 8W at 30 km/h // 20 mph (with SON being the best) Without load, the better ones from Shimano and all hubs from SON and SP have below 2 W @30 km/h without load. There is plenty of measurement data in the german magazin fahrradzukunft.de (if there is interest, i pick the articles for you)
So a dry chain, loose fitting clothes or your general position on the bike has a much higher influence with respect to watt losses...