Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2020 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2020 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 12-16-20, 05:20 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
I'm not sure how it will compare with the Quickbeam, but rumor has it that Rivendell is on the verge of introducing a new Singlespeed.
That would be good news! Eventually I may want a new frame, but I’ve noticed that none of their current frames have a horizontal dropout that would work well with SS/FG.

Otto
Old 12-19-20, 01:44 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
So I took my nitto pearl stem and soma hwy1 bars from my SS and put them on my newest geared vintage bike rebuild, but I didn't want to give up my SS, so I went into the parts bin and ended up with this
The tubing-to-stem diameter is mismatched and isn't great aesthetically, but it's not too too bad. at least for this temporary build...

I only had black spacers, and i know overall this is pretty hideous, but, i've seen much worse....

Old 12-20-20, 09:34 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
I'm not sure how it will compare with the Quickbeam, but rumor has it that Rivendell is on the verge of introducing a new Singlespeed.
It’s not a rumor, the new SS will be called the Roaduno. It’s been mentioned in the last two Rivbike emails. Not even on the production schedule yet, though. It will take up to 42mm wide tires.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-20-20, 10:34 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
So I took my nitto pearl stem and soma hwy1 bars from my SS and put them on my newest geared vintage bike rebuild, but I didn't want to give up my SS, so I went into the parts bin and ended up with this
The tubing-to-stem diameter is mismatched and isn't great aesthetically, but it's not too too bad. at least for this temporary build...

I only had black spacers, and i know overall this is pretty hideous, but, i've seen much worse....

You don’t need the spacers for that setup. They are purely cosmetic, and can be removed. It will also make it look more like a quill stem. I really don’t think it looks all that bad.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-20-20, 11:47 AM
speed king

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 22 Posts
Likes For speed king:
Old 12-20-20, 07:54 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You don’t need the spacers for that setup. They are purely cosmetic, and can be removed. It will also make it look more like a quill stem. I really don’t think it looks all that bad.
Nah I didn't care for the look of the narrow quill section coming out of the headset then bulging to the size of the modern stem. kinda ugly. at least the spacers make it look uniform.
(the adapter is not pushed all the way down to the headset)
Old 12-20-20, 07:57 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Nah I didn't care for the look of the narrow quill section coming out of the headset then bulging to the size of the modern stem. kinda ugly. at least the spacers make it look uniform.
(the adapter is not pushed all the way down to the headset)
Looks like your speedometer mount is facing the wrong direction? It might be more secure if you rotate it 90 degrees.

Dave
Old 12-21-20, 06:09 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by speed king
What is this, SK? I like. How about posting some close up pics? Thanks!
Old 12-21-20, 06:53 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
^^^....and so clean! As if the bike was carried there and placed for the photo.....
Old 12-21-20, 09:36 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Looks like your speedometer mount is facing the wrong direction? It might be more secure if you rotate it 90 degrees.

Dave
It's on there how it's supposed to be.
Old 12-21-20, 10:27 AM
speed king

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
What is this, SK? I like. How about posting some close up pics? Thanks!
Steamroller- Paul hubs, White Industries freewheel.

Last edited by speed king; 12-21-20 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add info
Likes For speed king:
Old 12-23-20, 05:59 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,226 Posts
Picked up this frame on eBay a couple of weeks ago.

Seller said he built it in the 70s out of Columbus SL. Overall it's pretty well made, certainly comparable to any of the mid-level production stuff from Japan in the 70s and 80s.

Currently it's stolen the wheelset from my Grand Jubile, but I'll be ordering hubs soon to give it a wheelset of it's own. Since the fork clearance is so tight even with these Veloflex Master 25mm (measuring 23mm actual) I'm pretty sure this is going to get 650b X 38mm wheels and tires. Might have to go to 32mm in the back, but we'll see.

This is my second actual track bike, the first was a too small Kilo TT a few years ago. The feel is quite familiar, but it sure is nice to have a frame that actually fits me. And a lugged frame will always beat a TIG'd one

Old 12-23-20, 07:58 PM
AJ1515

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I posted this a while ago, but it has had some adjustments made

to it. My wife named him Ed.
Likes For AJ1515:
Old 12-25-20, 12:28 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Happy Holidays!

Likes For IAmSam:
Old 12-27-20, 06:02 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 21 Posts
next iteration...

Updated the Big Block gravel build after couple months on Sacramento's river trails:

Swapped:
SRAM PC-1 chain, 2x Roubaix 700x32 tires, Zipp Service Course 70 XPLR drop bar, Yoshida Champ Best track grips, and Specialized Power Arc Expert saddle

For:
Izumi JET BLACK chain, Panaracer Gravelking 700x32 tires w/ slick in back & SK up front (last two ivory / tan I could find online, and just bought last two ivory / black slicks at Panaracer's site...), Ritchey Classic Flat MTB bar (560MM x 5 degrees), Brooks Cambium Rubber grips and Brooks C17 Special saddle (both in "natural")

built from city-FG experience

adapted to 90% trail

Pretty pleased the bling happened to coalesce with performance characteristics I was looking for - too many changes to attribute solely to handlebar swap but I'd never rode FG on a flat bar before and it is indeed extremely satisfying
Old 12-28-20, 02:52 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
I finished this build today. It's a bargain bomber, especially compared to the build directly above, but I like how it came out.

Likes For denaffen:
Old 12-28-20, 05:55 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 63 Posts
Nice looking bike. Enjoy
Old 12-29-20, 12:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by PIFFLE
Updated the Big Block gravel build after couple months on Sacramento's river trails:

Pretty pleased the bling happened to coalesce with performance characteristics I was looking for - too many changes to attribute solely to handlebar swap but I'd never rode FG on a flat bar before and it is indeed extremely satisfying
I like it but I have some things I would do personally: put the tires from the top one on the bottom one, keep the proper saddle level of the bottom one swap the Zipp to Ritchey Classic (Black Zipp looks good Silver Zipp with black logos not my favorite) and you are all set.
Old 12-29-20, 03:01 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 21 Posts
veganbikes Agreed RE: Zipp logos, wasn't first choice but component availability lousy w covid buying spree - will replace w Ride Farr "Headspace" stem presently on its way and will eventually get a wider Thomson Ti bar.

Screwed up not getting shallower rims that I think look better on a steel frame so I'm getting creative with tires to compensate for aesthetic of the deep-V Ailerons -_-
Old 12-29-20, 04:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
veganbikes Agreed RE: Zipp logos, wasn't first choice but component availability lousy w covid buying spree - will replace w Ride Farr "Headspace" stem presently on its way and will eventually get a wider Thomson Ti bar.

Screwed up not getting shallower rims that I think look better on a steel frame so I'm getting creative with tires to compensate for aesthetic of the deep-V Ailerons -_-
Yeah that has been fun this year. Luckily the parts I bought this year were from Paul and he and his crew were still shipping and creating. I skipped my other build because I couldn't get the parts easily. It would have been buying one piece at a time here and there and could easily lead to more indecision and wanting to change or compromise. Hopefully next year or the year after, it's not like I don't have a bunch of bikes and I finally got my mountain bike up and running so I should be good on fun toys.

The Thomson Ti bars are nice but you may consider these: https://www.ticycles.com/store-all/h...5-318-titanium. Made in America and way cheaper but still of good quality. Also you can do custom stuff and do an integrated bar stem combo in Titanium and some other really fun shapes and sizes.
Old 12-30-20, 05:21 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by denaffen
I finished this build today. It's a bargain bomber, especially compared to the build directly above, but I like how it came out.

Looks good! Aren't those brakes awkward to grab being almost upright lol
Old 12-31-20, 05:11 AM
elzeeb0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
Today I 'fixed' the RB-T...

May I ask what kind of handlebars are these?
Old 12-31-20, 06:53 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts

Swapped:
SRAM PC-1 chain, 2x Roubaix 700x32 tires, Zipp Service Course 70 XPLR drop bar, Yoshida Champ Best track grips, and Specialized Power Arc Expert saddle

For:
Izumi JET BLACK chain, Panaracer Gravelking 700x32 tires w/ slick in back & SK up front (last two ivory / tan I could find online, and just bought last two ivory / black slicks at Panaracer's site...), Ritchey Classic Flat MTB bar (560MM x 5 degrees), Brooks Cambium Rubber grips and Brooks C17 Special saddle (both in "natural")

built from city-FG experience

adapted to 90% trail

I love my Big Block. I like the way you have yours set up. How do you like the saddle so far? I am tempted to try a Cambium. I'm a Brooks fan, but have only had experience with their leather saddles.
Old 12-31-20, 08:57 AM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by elzeeb0
May I ask what kind of handlebars are these?
Those are the Nitto Albatross (B352AA).
Old 12-31-20, 02:46 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
Looks good! Aren't those brakes awkward to grab being almost upright lol
I haven't spent a lot of seat time with it yet, but at least as far as I can tell from a chilly neighborhood ride, nah, they don't seem awkward. The photo is a bit misleading.. there's not a whole lotta reach there. The whole setup seems to work better on this particular bike than the North Road bars did. It just really wants you forward of the stem. Some bikes take to upright conversions, some don't. This one didn't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.