Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Anyone Tested Positive for COVID19?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Anyone Tested Positive for COVID19?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 01:16 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
My son and one of my daughters just came back with positive results. My son is single and will be out of work for 2 weeks. My daughter has 3 kids....ages 4,2 and 3 months. Ugh. She is quarantining in their house and still trying to nurse the 3 month old. Her husband has been working from home but will now really have his hands full. A couple days ago we kept the 2 older kids overnight and had interaction with both my son and daughter this week. My wife and I are going to get tested tomorrow......no symptoms for my wife and I but need to know. My son is feeling pretty yucky right now.
I hope you and your wife test negative for Covid and I wish your son and daughter a speedy recovery. I am fortunate because I just turned 50 in August and haven't as much as caught the sniffles, though I've been blessed with a robust immune system.
Old 11-16-20, 07:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My entire family is now in the clear!
Old 11-16-20, 08:17 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
My entire family is now in the clear!
That's great news!!! Best of wishes!
Old 11-16-20, 09:06 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
My MIL tested positive, contacted from a roommate at health care in her nursing home. She's 90. The doc said you don't live to 90 without being tough, so don't fret. Sure enough she had s mild case and recovered, as far as you can tell for a non ambulatory 90 yo.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-22-20, 07:28 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Had the Rona for just shy of 2 weeks and now in the clear. Looking forward to riding again this week. We had very mild cases.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 11-22-20, 07:35 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
got tested today because have been exposed at school. Will get the results in a few days
Old 11-22-20, 07:56 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
My employer has been testing all of us who have regular customer contact every month since May/June. So far all my tests have been negative. When I'm at customer's sites I'll wear mask, gloves, sometime goggles over my glasses. When I leave I use wipes on arms/face and any other exposed body parts.

Big concern - Cold and flu season. COVID and regular flu have similar symptoms, but we're also required to get tested if we get a stuffy nose associated with a simple head cold and quarantine until results come back. . I get those 3-4 times each winter, so not looking forward to the next few months.
Old 11-25-20, 07:39 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Thankfully, No.
But I believe it's only a matter of time.
I'm supposed to be the service manager in an auto shop, but I have spent a lot of the time at the sales counter since August. First, covering for vacations, then I blew my back up in October and haven't been released to full duty yet.
So I deal with the public a lot.
You'd be amazed at the amount of inconsideration I observe. We have plexiglass spit shields, people stick their face around the end of them..
People "dick-nosing" or worse, wearing the mask under their chin..
People who refuse to wear one at all, believing it's all a hoax, or people who just plain DGAF. "Freedumb!"
Had one guy early last week, wearing his mask under his chin, walk around the end of the sales counter, and right in my face. Not to be nasty, but just because he's a known idiot. I remember thinking "If I get COVID and die because of you, you will be the first person I haunt."
My the skin on my hands is like paper because I've been washing my hands so much since March..
We bought "institutional" hand sanitizer, and the stuff smells like rot-gut Gin..

Enough of my rant..
Carry on.
Likes For JLDickmon:
Old 11-27-20, 10:44 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by JLDickmon
Thankfully, No.
I'm supposed to be the service manager in an auto shop, but I have spent a lot of the time at the sales counter since August. First, covering for vacations, then I blew my back up in October and haven't been released to full duty yet.
So I deal with the public a lot.
You'd be amazed at the amount of inconsideration I observe. We have plexiglass spit shields, people stick their face around the end of them..
People "dick-nosing" or worse, wearing the mask under their chin..
People who refuse to wear one at all, believing it's all a hoax, or people who just plain DGAF. "Freedumb!"
Had one guy early last week, wearing his mask under his chin, walk around the end of the sales counter, and right in my face. Not to be nasty, but just because he's a known idiot. I remember thinking "If I get COVID and die because of you, you will be the first person I haunt."
My the skin on my hands is like paper because I've been washing my hands so much since March..
We bought "institutional" hand sanitizer, and the stuff smells like rot-gut Gin..

Enough of my rant..
Carry on.
The best part of being a covid survivor is not having to wear a mask. I’m immune and carry a certicate from the health dept. Dang, just show my state papers for clearance.

I walked into an eatery and said I’m a covid survivor and left my mask at home. The host said “come on in” with a big grin. Not everybody out there has to wear a mask.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 11-29-20, 03:56 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
The best part of being a covid survivor is not having to wear a mask. I’m immune and carry a certicate from the health dept. Dang, just show my state papers for clearance.

I walked into an eatery and said I’m a covid survivor and left my mask at home. The host said “come on in” with a big grin. Not everybody out there has to wear a mask.
Wow I have not heard of that yet. Did you have an antibody test? Or do we just take the word of the certificate?
I personally would not bet my life on not catching it again.
Old 11-29-20, 06:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Skullo
Wow I have not heard of that yet. Did you have an antibody test? Or do we just take the word of the certificate?
I personally would not bet my life on not catching it again.
I have never double caught a flu bug so I wont be paying the extra money to have that test. Being that my wife and I were tested and showed covid pos same same day, that’s good enough for me. I will trust my body to do what it should. Conversely, if I don’t believe my body to have immunity, how could I hape that a vaccine would help?
Old 11-29-20, 09:10 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I have never double caught a flu bug so I wont be paying the extra money to have that test. Being that my wife and I were tested and showed covid pos same same day, that’s good enough for me. I will trust my body to do what it should. Conversely, if I don’t believe my body to have immunity, how could I hape that a vaccine would help?
There as been so much information and misinformation I don’t know what to believe.The vaccines seem too good to be true at 95 percent.I don’t want to be in the same room with people waving a certificate . I won’t be comfortable around people for a long time.Even if I take a vaccine I will stay away from crowds.I’m glad your happy though.
Old 12-10-20, 01:43 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Thankfully, No.
<snip>
Enough of my rant..
Carry on.
Update..
I now have two technicians out Covid+
Sr Tech's wife was suspected of having it in the spring. Never really shook it.
On the 18th of November, she popped positive. Tech reported it to HR, they ordered him into quarantine. While in quarantine, he started showing symptoms. Was hospitalized for a few days. Due back on Monday.
Jr. Tech was exposed to his Mom, who got tested after running a fever for a few days. His whole family is in quarantine, showing symptoms and all adults have popped positive. He may be out until Christmas.
As a result, we have to screen every morning when reporting for shift. Then, we stop work and clean the shop every two hours. All shared tools, equipment, keyboards, etc. gets wiped down, as do all door knobs and handles. Working in every other bay, offset. So only half the shop is usable. We have to keep all bay doors cracked 24" for air flow. Heaters run non-stop. HVAC unit in the showroom is set to "Fan On" and run constantly to keep air turned over.
At the end of the day, we "deep clean." All furniture and fixtures, up to and including upholstery. I never thought I would have to clean a soap dispenser.

But don't think for one minute I get a pass from Corporate. I get a daily call, "Why did you only see 10 cars and do $2200 in business, and why did Tech X work 90 minutes overtime? We've got stores in metro markets doing twice the business with the same number of people.." Every. Damn. Day.
Likes For JLDickmon:
Old 12-12-20, 05:42 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Update..
I now have two technicians out Covid+
Sr Tech's wife was suspected of having it in the spring. Never really shook it.
On the 18th of November, she popped positive. Tech reported it to HR, they ordered him into quarantine. While in quarantine, he started showing symptoms. Was hospitalized for a few days. Due back on Monday.
Jr. Tech was exposed to his Mom, who got tested after running a fever for a few days. His whole family is in quarantine, showing symptoms and all adults have popped positive. He may be out until Christmas.
As a result, we have to screen every morning when reporting for shift. Then, we stop work and clean the shop every two hours. All shared tools, equipment, keyboards, etc. gets wiped down, as do all door knobs and handles. Working in every other bay, offset. So only half the shop is usable. We have to keep all bay doors cracked 24" for air flow. Heaters run non-stop. HVAC unit in the showroom is set to "Fan On" and run constantly to keep air turned over.
At the end of the day, we "deep clean." All furniture and fixtures, up to and including upholstery. I never thought I would have to clean a soap dispenser.

But don't think for one minute I get a pass from Corporate. I get a daily call, "Why did you only see 10 cars and do $2200 in business, and why did Tech X work 90 minutes overtime? We've got stores in metro markets doing twice the business with the same number of people.." Every. Damn. Day.
Corporate needs to come help you clean!!
Old 12-18-20, 12:46 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Just found out today (12/18) that a neighbor up the street is in the hospital with covid. His next door neighbor's quarantine period just ended. I'm friends with both and will wave if I'm driving out of our development, but don't hang out with them. Hoping all turns out ok. Both are good people.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 12-30-20, 03:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Just found out at after lunch that I'm positive. And ever since this March I call myself being careful. We've even ignored family and friends that beg us to come visit. Despite going fully retired in March and my wife working from home as she's done for over ten years with her employer I still messed up somehow.

I just have had a very dry, sometimes persistent cough since Monday evening, scratchy throat and generally not 100%. I did have a fever before bed time Monday but it was gone Tuesday morning till just before bedtime last night. My fever last night was over 101.5°F and I woke up with sweat soaked sheets and pillow but no fever.

Still coughing, scratchy throat, not 100% but no fever currently since waking. I've been isolated since feeling bad Monday, but that only goes so far in a small home like ours.
Old 12-30-20, 03:58 PM
cloud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Just found out at after lunch that I'm positive. And ever since this March I call myself being careful. We've even ignored family and friends that beg us to come visit. Despite going fully retired in March and my wife working from home as she's done for over ten years with her employer I still messed up somehow.

I just have had a very dry, sometimes persistent cough since Monday evening, scratchy throat and generally not 100%. I did have a fever before bed time Monday but it was gone Tuesday morning till just before bedtime last night. My fever last night was over 101.5°F and I woke up with sweat soaked sheets and pillow but no fever.

Still coughing, scratchy throat, not 100% but no fever currently since waking. I've been isolated since feeling bad Monday, but that only goes so far in a small home like ours.
Hope you feel better. Don't beat yourself up I know people that wore their masks religiously washed their hands all the time social distance and they still got the virus.
Old 12-31-20, 08:35 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Went to a small family holiday gathering Saturday, actually rode my bike over to it. Started out riding in 20 degree temperatures. It was at my elderly in-laws house and just my kids and grandkids. We’ve all been extremely careful about distancing.

Sunday night my throat started getting really sore. By Monday I had a full onslaught sinus issue. Head aches, fever, coughing and just not feeling great. My grandkids started showing the same symptoms before me. My wife is an acupuncturist so started Chinese medicine treatments with different herbs.

I was worried we’d all contracted COVID, though. Many of the same symptoms. Through a pilot program I have an at home Covid test kit. So I got approval to use it and did the nasal swab and mailed it to the lab Wednesday.

My 2 year old immune system comprised granddaughter got tested and hers came back negative. That’s a huge relief to us all. Both her 4 year old brother and 6 month old sister have the same symptoms so we’ve really been worried we were at the center of a mega circle. I’ve been thinking of where I might have been where I might have contracted Covid.

Thursday morning I’m waking up and feeling much better. I can finally breathe again. I’m hoping my test results will confirm I’m just going through a bad case of sinusitis, probably my worst ever. But this Covid thing can really keep you on your toes......and sometimes even on your back!!

Still felling a little loss of energy so won’t plan on a 100 mile bike ride for a bit! Hopefully I get a negative test result again this time.
Old 01-03-21, 06:02 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Covid test was negative. Just sinus junk.
Old 05-02-21, 05:01 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Covid test was negative. Just sinus junk.
YAY!

well, as it were..
Remember when I said I had two guys out confirmed COVID+?
Make that 3. And these guys aren't getting it at work. Through contract tracing, the Health Dept's involved have determined one got it from his wife, the second from his Mom, and the third they're calling "community spread," but five members of the family tested positive after Easter dinner. Someone there was Typhoid Mary.

35 people have told me now.. "I've been sick before, but not like this. It was NO FUN at all."