Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Campy SR dest post 27.0mm (Poor Condition)

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 03-14-21, 01:00 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts

“dest post?” Sure. Oh well for typos. Here’s what we have...

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

One homely looking 27mm Campagnolo Super Record seat post for sale.

Appears chopped, but still has plenty of length with 200mm from cradle to end.

Oxidized, grease stained, scuffed, and beat to high heaven.

Cradle and hardware still function as designed.

Still cool as ever!

$27 shipped SOLD

Paypal F&F or add 3% for G&S

Last edited by deux jambes; 03-14-21 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-14-21, 01:01 PM
deux jambes

Old 03-14-21, 02:36 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I will take it. Plans to take it on a date with the lathe until it shines, and fits right into my specialized expedition at 26.8.

Cheers
Old 03-14-21, 02:47 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by scarlson
I will take it. Plans to take it on a date with the lathe until it shines, and fits right into my specialized expedition at 26.8.

Cheers
Now we're talkin'

I want to see it in all of its new glory if you don't mind posting pics when its done.
Old 03-14-21, 02:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
I see I'm too late. That post would be good exercise for my Campy "Z" wrench that hasn't had a decent workout in 40 years! (Since I sold my Fuji Pro with its original Hupel Rider post that got replaced with a Zeus that I won at Stowe. Both posts required the Z or the slicker tools still in the future.)

I don't think I currently have a 27.0 bike and the one the might be has a nicer (but with identical deep scratches) Campy Chorus post. So my poor Z's muscles will deteriorate a little more. Oh well ...
Old 03-14-21, 03:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
Now we're talkin'

I want to see it in all of its new glory if you don't mind posting pics when its done.
Oh crap! I have 2 27mm bikes and could really use this. 2nd dibs please if 1st doesn't pan out which I can't imagine.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-14-21, 09:13 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Sorry, friends. The post is, indeed, taken.

Originally Posted by deux jambes
Now we're talkin'

For sure! Ping me if I forget
Old 03-15-21, 06:05 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Oh crap! I have 2 27mm bikes and could really use this. 2nd dibs please if 1st doesn't pan out which I can't imagine.
Same here, would have worked well on multiple Italvega bikes which take 27.0 mm seat posts. Gotta remember to check posts more often here! Happy transaction for seller and buyer.
Old 03-23-21, 09:42 AM
scarlson 

I spent about 2 and a half hours in the machine shop, but I think I did a good thing.

In addition to being pretty crusty, the post was bent backward, 0.15" (about 4mm) from straight. Luckily another vintage cyclist/engineer happened to be in the machine shop at the same time, and we had a little brainstorm about what to do. We settled on some collet blocks and vee blocks for fixturing, and the hydraulic press to get it back straight. The press registered 7 tons at the maximum force I used on it, which is not a lot for a hydraulic press, but is a lot for a Super Record seatpost! I put another little dent in it in the process, but I think I made it more usable.

Then I did a little polish work to get it down to 26.8 and take out the dings.

Here is the result.

@mech986 @merziac
You may have dodged a bullet! No offense to the seller, I am very happy with my purchase and was pretty sure of what I was getting into! I had hours of fun in the shop with a friend.

Final suggestion my engineer friend had was to paint the flutes the color of whatever bike I put it in. I've always had some Campy odds and ends on every bike, but truth be told, I've never really been passionate about Italianate bling. However, this post is making me want to do a "Mexico" treatment to some cranks here. Is this how it begins?
Old 03-23-21, 12:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
@scarlson

Yep there's something about this "crap" and I get your trepidation. I bought my first Campy part, a seatpost in high school at a Schwinn shop. It was on sale for $37 which was quite a lot, unbeknownst to me that it was a skinny version and took an act of congress to get the seat mounted that was an a**hachet for that. After that and for not realizing what was going on, I mostly veered away from Campy after that and bought Mafac 2000 brakes and a 3T stem. I still understood the Campy draw but by then couldn't afford any of it.

Glad you got this sorted, its always good to have extreme capabilities at your disposable as long as you're prepared to have some catastrophic failures which is always fun to realize the limits of tooling, components and your own skill/process.
Old 03-23-21, 03:07 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I spent about 2 and a half hours in the machine shop, but I think I did a good thing.

In addition to being pretty crusty, the post was bent backward, 0.15" (about 4mm) from straight. Luckily another vintage cyclist/engineer happened to be in the machine shop at the same time, and we had a little brainstorm about what to do. We settled on some collet blocks and vee blocks for fixturing, and the hydraulic press to get it back straight. The press registered 7 tons at the maximum force I used on it, which is not a lot for a hydraulic press, but is a lot for a Super Record seatpost! I put another little dent in it in the process, but I think I made it more usable.

Then I did a little polish work to get it down to 26.8 and take out the dings.

Here is the result.

@mech986 @merziac
You may have dodged a bullet! No offense to the seller, I am very happy with my purchase and was pretty sure of what I was getting into! I had hours of fun in the shop with a friend.

Final suggestion my engineer friend had was to paint the flutes the color of whatever bike I put it in. I've always had some Campy odds and ends on every bike, but truth be told, I've never really been passionate about Italianate bling. However, this post is making me want to do a "Mexico" treatment to some cranks here. Is this how it begins?
Nice work! Seems intuitive now that a seat post only put in halfway or less would likely have a potential bend in it if ridden hard by a strong rider who could leverage forces onto it, guess I should be checking all my long seat posts. Imagine what today's really long posts might have on them, carbon or not. Nice job with the polishing, I would have thought the bottom would clean up better but its not going to be visible anyway. I do agree with the painted flutes, Italian or other flag colors is popular, as is frame color or contrasts. Remember that flutes do allow potential water ingress if near the lugs, so for us shorter guys with lower seat posts, its a concern. Good luck and post a pic of when its finished and mounted.
Old 03-23-21, 05:06 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by mech986
Nice work! Seems intuitive now that a seat post only put in halfway or less would likely have a potential bend in it if ridden hard by a strong rider who could leverage forces onto it, guess I should be checking all my long seat posts. Imagine what today's really long posts might have on them, carbon or not. Nice job with the polishing, I would have thought the bottom would clean up better but its not going to be visible anyway. I do agree with the painted flutes, Italian or other flag colors is popular, as is frame color or contrasts. Remember that flutes do allow potential water ingress if near the lugs, so for us shorter guys with lower seat posts, its a concern. Good luck and post a pic of when its finished and mounted.
Right you are. I've seen the dreaded bend more on American Classic and other such "stupid-light" posts, as well as older softer alloy ones like Hiduminium. And I just had to deal with a stuck SR Laprade seatpost from water ingress via the flutes, on a Univega. Made $40 and a case of beer, so it was worth my work! No worries - I did a sort of rough measurement to make sure the flutes would stick out enough on the Specialized Expedition.

The bottom of the post already measured around 26.8 when I started, mainly because of corrosion I think. There was a layer of scale that scraped off when I fitted it into a collet. So I couldn't really take off more material to get the deepest of those scratches out. And as you say, it's inside the frame so who cares.

Originally Posted by merziac

Yep there's something about this "crap" and I get your trepidation. I bought my first Campy part, a seatpost in high school at a Schwinn shop. It was on sale for $37 which was quite a lot, unbeknownst to me that it was a skinny version and took an act of congress to get the seat mounted that was an a**hachet for that. After that and for not realizing what was going on, I mostly veered away from Campy after that and bought Mafac 2000 brakes and a 3T stem. I still understood the Campy draw but by then couldn't afford any of it.

Glad you got this sorted, its always good to have extreme capabilities at your disposable as long as you're prepared to have some catastrophic failures which is always fun to realize the limits of tooling, components and your own skill/process.
Right, I am happy with it! And I learned a thing or two about straightening stuff.
I did go down a bit of an internet rabbit hole, thinking about a 1x8 using a Mexico'd Campy crank and Super Record rear mech with a Suntour LePree 3-pulley cage bolted on, or some other such blasphemy. In the end, this bike will probably get my usual XTR M952, a nice TA crank, and a Simplex bar end. Simplextr. It's like Shimergo.