Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

We have dog threads, sewing machine thread, how about a watch thread.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

We have dog threads, sewing machine thread, how about a watch thread.

Old 04-06-21, 10:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Here is my 1932 Hamilton pocket watch. Made a cool stand for it today. My wife gave it to me as a wedding present.

With my favorite mug.

I used an old spoke and a gorgeous piece of Cambodian hardwood.
Latecomer to this thread. Glad I opened it.

Last winter I received the clock and barometer of my dad. Wedding presents. Clock is a real ships clock with an engraved wedding date 16 months before I was born. I grew up listening to it strike the bells of the 4 hour ship's watch. It spent the first 40 years of my like on the mantelpiece. No one but my dad was allowed to touch it. He wound it once a week (and his habits were nearly as consistent as the clock's striking).

My brother had the clock repaired and refurbished by the maker (that still makes ship's clocks but they are all quartz now). It arrived here on the west coast last January with other stuff from the house and its sister barometer. Complete with the original and much newer instructions. Operating this clock is quite a procedure. It took me two months to get the time close. Now it is within a minute and I am dialing in the speed. (Challenge is that you can only move the hands forward when the clock is wound and it is not a good idea to let the clock stop when you don't need to. After striking is the time to move the hands - 20 minutes up to the 10 minutes of prepare to strike time but no further!)

By contrast, the barometer is so simple. Seems to be quite close to the actual and the actual numbers don't really matter, it it the change that is important. I have no instructions for it. My dad certainly had them in a secure place but the barometer hung on the dining room wall so there was no place close. By contrast, the clock key and envelope with instructions live on that mantelpiece.

Both haven't been polished in many decades. Both are in their original (nice) dark wood mounts. I need to make a shelf or mantle for it and am debating where it should go. I'd like to make a mantle for over the fireplace but that is an outside wall. I want that clock on the wall my bedroom shares because I love hearing the strikes in bed. It's there now. Not a showpiece (yet) but doing its job of maintaining the watches. I've stood watches. Counted down those reminders to watch change.

And for the fun bicycle content here. The threads - dog threads, sewing machine threads and watch threads: I'm guessing sewing machines use English threads and watches perhaps a Swiss predecessor to metric? But dog threads? Don't you have to go to the old hardware store and ask that ancient guy to find the equally ancient tap and die set buried in back?
Old 04-06-21, 10:37 AM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I don't know anything about pocket watches but the gold coin on the chain is valuable. I can't tell enough from the pictures but is that a quarter eagle (2 1/2 dollars) or half eagle (5 dollars) coin? It is written out on the bottom of the reverse side (written either 2 1/2 or five dollars - just like that). The two are almost the same except size. I can read that the date is 1908. If it is a half eagle with a S mint mark (meaning it was minted in San Francisco) it has extremely low mintage (82,000). Strangely while low mintage usually = greater value, not so much with the 1908 S half eagles (unless it is nearly uncirculated and then the value explodes).. Anyway depending on what coin it is, it probably has a value between $500 and $1000.

The mint marks can be found all the way to the right edge of the coin by the eagle's feet. There are 3 possibilities, no mint mark (meaning it was minted in Philadelphia) or a D (Denver) or a S. You have got me really curious about whether that coin is a quarter or half eagle and whether - if it is a half eagle - it has a S mint mark. Be sure and let me know or I will die of curiosity.
Well, I wish it were stamped SF, but not so.
It is a $2 1/2 coin with no mint stamping (plain)...sigh 🥲 ... and I’m from SF.
Thx for your info
Old 04-06-21, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I started going through the rest of this thread. Page 4 - Seiko diving watches! I have 2. First I got in 1982 for both a watch and "stopwatch" to start sailboat races. (Not a stopwatch but the bezel works really well and if you missed the first gun, it was easy to adjust later. I was rarely the starter on the bigger boats I raced (I was usually on the winches) but I called more than one start when the starter messed up.)

That watch was tough! I slammed my wrist against my VW bus engine with all my strength when the wrench slipped as I adjusted the valves in January. There's a scratch in the crystal. I bought a replacement 13 years later but it featured the safety of the one-way bezel. You cannot set it back, stay underwater longer and run out of air. Sucks for starting races.

Many memories!
Old 04-06-21, 10:58 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Well, I wish it were stamped SF, but not so.
It is a $2 1/2 coin with no mint stamping (plain)...sigh 🥲 ... and I’m from SF.
Thx for your info
Thanks for keeping me from a curiosity death! A quick check of 1908 quarter eagle values indicates it has a worth around $500. The 1908 quarter eagles didn't have any mint marks that year - which means they were all made in Philadelphia.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-06-21, 11:06 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I don't know much about this watch except it is a family heirloom. My dad's brother felt I should have it since I was the oldest grandson. It was made in the days when you chose the watch movement and case as separate pieces. The movement is from Illinois Watch Co. and the case is from Keystone. It lives under a glass dome on a shelf, so it doesn't get wound often, but it still runs if I wind it. I haven't quite gotten the regulation dialed in, but it is within a minute or so per day.

Grandpa's watch.

You wind it with a key from the back side.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-06-21, 11:15 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
Here's my Seiko diver. It is the Miyata 610 of watches. Pretty much bulletproof.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-06-21, 11:17 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
So one of the first vintage cycling magazines I bought had an ad for a watch, I like it. One is for sale on ebay. Would be a great present for me, if anyone wants. Just saying.

1940_MilanoSanRemo001 by iabisdb, on Flickr
1940_MilanoSanRemo003 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Old 04-06-21, 11:26 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,522 Times in 1,742 Posts
One of my favorite car boot sale finds. Not a watch per se, but a nice hand-wound time piece nonetheless. A Kienzle clock, with an 8-day power reserve. Its predecessors were used by the Luftwaffe in WW II, but most of these wound up () mounted in glove compartment lids of Volkswagens and Opels in the fifties:

Old 04-06-21, 11:46 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 302 Posts

Likes For styggno1:
Old 04-06-21, 11:57 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 926 Posts
Every time there's a watch thread, I think "Wow! I need a new watch!!!" Then I start figuring out what looks cool, then combing the watch sale sites and eBay- looking for the same watch....

Then I think I've got 5-6 watches here that I never wear.

Around 1994 or so I got a Timex Expedition- It was awesome. I had it for like a year, but I lost it. I figured it would turn up, so I went a few months without a watch- but there was the same watch for sale, so I bought it- I don't think it was even a week later when my other watch turned up. So I have 2 of the same watch. The batteries died on both of them a few years ago... they're sitting in my dresser. I should get one of those put together and see if I actually wear one again before dropping a few hundred on a new/old watch.

I also have my old Timex that I wore for most of my military "career." IIRC, it stopped working prompting me to get the aforementioned Expedition watches....

Is it worth repairing an old cheap Timex or that old cheap Star Wars watch?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-06-21, 01:03 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Here's my Seiko diver. It is the Miyata 610 of watches. Pretty much bulletproof.
Well said. I used to have a Seiko Orange Monster model diver. It bugged me cause you can't handwind it (auto rotor winding only) but it was lots of fun to wear and bulletproof.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 04-06-21, 04:08 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,440 Times in 1,127 Posts
Not vintage, but hopefully classic.
Since I was self employed no one else was going to buy me a retirement watch so I bought this one 7 years ago when I retired. I've worn it every day since. It has collected a bit of patina, like most of my bikes.
An automatic watch. A metaphorical gift; if I stop moving it stops moving. A reminder to stay active as I age. So far it's worked!

Brent
Old 04-06-21, 06:32 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I work with a 'watch guy'. He has multiple collector-grade watches, and others that he resells for $1k+. My response is always 'and how well does it keep time?' since that is the PRIMARY function of a watch/chronometer. I'll keep my basic plastic digital Casio F-105 from WalMart for ~$14. The Casio keeps better time than his $1500 Rolex Oyster Submariner (I don't even know if that is a thing, but you get the jist).... Even if I was bazillionaire, why would I wear something that keeps less-accurate time????

I will admit that I have my great grandfather's heavy engraved and inlayed silver-cased pocket watch - but that is in a display case... From what I've learned, BITD the case was sold separately from the movement, and mostly sold through jewelry stores. GGpa's watch movement is nothing special but I keep it for the case (and family history)...
Old 04-06-21, 07:05 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I work with a 'watch guy'. He has multiple collector-grade watches, and others that he resells for $1k+. My response is always 'and how well does it keep time?' since that is the PRIMARY function of a watch/chronometer. I'll keep my basic plastic digital Casio F-105 from WalMart for ~$14. The Casio keeps better time than his $1500 Rolex Oyster Submariner (I don't even know if that is a thing, but you get the jist).... Even if I was bazillionaire, why would I wear something that keeps less-accurate time????
....snip...
Yes - why do we not get rid of our inferior steel framed bikes and get one of those plastic framed modern ones? Since the PRIMARY function of a bike is to transform energy to forward motion - why would one want something that does it less accurate????
Likes For styggno1:
Old 04-06-21, 07:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Since I was self employed no one else was going to buy me a retirement watch so I bought this one 7 years ago when I retired. I've worn it every day since. It has collected a bit of patina, like most of my bikes.
An automatic watch. A metaphorical gift; if I stop moving it stops moving. A reminder to stay active as I age. So far it's worked!

Brent
Brent,
Nice Self-gift for your retirement. Self-winder with an exhibition caseback....Like the attitude...you keep moving and it keeps moving, sweet!
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-06-21, 07:15 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Old 04-06-21, 07:40 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Nice. I’m wearing it’s cousin.

Originally Posted by obrentharris

Brent
Likes For Bogester:
Old 04-06-21, 08:30 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
I do use analog watches, but nothing vintage.
I've got an electro-mechanical clock, a Junghans ATO, that my dad bought in Germany while stationed there in the 50's. Very cool, but maybe not of interest?

Instead, let me offer a vintage bike item that I used as a clock back when they first came out. This one is currently mounted on my '74 Raleigh International.

Honestly.. that was such a revelation at the time!!
Sooo much better than those little cyclometers that used the little striker mounted in the spokes, and even a bit better than the Huret Multito.

Steve in Peoria
(wearing a black plastic Casio analog-digital watch right now..)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-07-21, 07:51 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogester
Nice. I’m wearing it’s cousin.
One of my favorite dials, all-time. I bet the luminous is great too!
Old 04-07-21, 08:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts

This watch belonged to my grandfather. He was a scales mechanic in his youth, about 1920, and this is a promotional watch from the Toledo Scale Company I think. In the '50s it stopped working, and a watchmaker said it couldn't be fixed, so my grandad gave it to us as a toy. Sadly it can't be restored, as I think it's a nice watch.
Old 04-07-21, 09:28 PM
MyVeloce
Hmmmm.

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce, Campion.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gave my mother's wedding present to my dad away...1958 Hamilton SS automatic..to my son when he graduated from college. Meanwhile, I keep my great grandads Chelsea Commander tuned up, and its time to get the Hamilton 4992B my grandfather used training the first Marine B25 squadron in WW2 cleaned.
Otherwise, my phone tells the time!
Old 04-08-21, 01:33 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Likes For styggno1:
Old 04-08-21, 07:20 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Yes - why do we not get rid of our inferior steel framed bikes and get one of those plastic framed modern ones? Since the PRIMARY function of a bike is to transform energy to forward motion - why would one want something that does it less accurate????
You're assuming that steel is inferior and plastic is superior. My 45 year old steel bike still functions as it was intended - it is still transforming energy into forward motion. ...and by 'less accurate' I'm assuming that you meant 'less efficiently' The actual mechanics of a bicycle have not changed. A bike still utilizes a large cog, transferring the input energy to a smaller cog by use of a chain... The only thing that has changed (in watch parlance) is the case.
Old 04-08-21, 07:54 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
Originally Posted by MyVeloce
.... Meanwhile, I keep my great grandads Chelsea Commander tuned up, and its time to get the Hamilton 4992B my grandfather used training the first Marine B25 squadron in WW2 cleaned.
There is a restored B-25 that is painted as a PBJ-1J, the version that the Marines used (not sure if it actually is/was a PBJ-1J). It is named Devil Dog, a nickname for Marines dating from WW I, and I happen to be wearing the Devil Dog t-shirt that the crew sells at airshows. Side note: I used to work on aircraft in the Marines.
Boy, if anyone thought fixing bikes was a bit pricey and hard work, it is frightening to learn what it takes to keep these old aircraft flying!
Here's a shot of Devil Dog from the Airventure gathering at Oshkosh, Wisconsin...

the plastic tubs under the aircraft are full of the t-shirts and hats that they sell.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-08-21, 08:04 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 122 Posts
Here's my Seiko Coutura that I've had for many years.
Likes For 76SLT:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.