Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Value Inquiry for Three Vintage Bikes

Old 04-10-21, 02:09 PM
Lonestar Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Value Inquiry for Three Vintage Bikes

Hello... my first post, because I am clearing out an estate and have three vintage women's bikes that I want to sell but have no idea of what to ask. One, a AMF(?) Grand Champion made in England, seems to be quite rare.(?) One is a Schwinn Racer. The other is a Sears brand. They all need cleaning up and work, but I will not have time to do anything with them. Any insight as to their as-is values would be appreciated.

I can't post photos or messaging since I'm a newbie and don't have 10 posts! Ugh... I turned ON personal email option should anyone want to request photos. I don't know what else to do... OK... well, I posted them on Craigslist for $350 for now... Search in SF Bay Area for 'Three Vintage Bikes'.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lonestar Guy; 04-10-21 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Note I can't post photos or messaging.
Old 04-10-21, 03:23 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21101421

Old 04-10-21, 04:25 PM
oldlugs

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
The Schwinn looks to be the cleanest of the lot. The serial number will give you more info on it and what year it is. My guess is its early 60's judging by the decals.
Some Sears bikes were built by Astro Daimler Puch in Austria back then, they were good bikes but they've never gained any collectibility over the years.
AMF sold a few models built by Raleigh over the years, most were badged Hercules but I've seen a few branded for various store brands as well.

Ladies model bikes here are generally just parts donors to fix up more desirable men's models. The Schwinn is probably your best bike, with the AMF being a distance second and the Sears being a wild card.

Location makes all the difference when it comes to parts, the SF Bay area is one of the hotbeds for used bikes, along with the Pacific NW and a few other big cities as of late.
On Tuesday, I picked up a Ladies Schwinn Racer here for $40, and I only bought the bike for that because I needed a better saddle and bars for another one year older mens bike I've been piecing together for myself. It was listed for over a year on FB and CL here. But again, this isn't the SF Bay area.
I sold an AMF Hercules men's bike in near new condition after having it listed for two years here at $200, I got $180 for it. Its ladies counterpart never sold, so I used the wheels on another men's frame which I decided to keep.
I've had those Sears bikes, usually their not in very nice condition in this area and I found I do better selling the wheels and parts that will fit other bikes separate and just scrapping the frames of the ladies models. I don't mind them myself, I own and ride an early JC Higgins made in Austria bike from time to time and its on par ride wise with most English bikes of that period.
Here' on the opposite coast I'd be hard pressed to get $200 for the lot and that might take some time to find the right person who for one, wants three bikes, or someone willing or capable of fixing them up. It may be different where your at but the few bike shops we have left here won't work on old bikes, most won't touch anything they didn't sell.

I'd list them separately, and price them in line with other similar bikes in your area. Most people looking for bulk deals usually want to buy for very little.
Old 04-10-21, 04:58 PM
Lonestar Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Thanks cb400bill!
Likes For Lonestar Guy:
Old 04-10-21, 05:03 PM
Lonestar Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldlugs
The Schwinn looks to be the cleanest of the lot. The serial number will give you more info on it and what year it is. My guess is its early 60's judging by the decals.
Some Sears bikes were built by Astro Daimler Puch in Austria back then, they were good bikes but they've never gained any collectibility over the years.
AMF sold a few models built by Raleigh over the years, most were badged Hercules but I've seen a few branded for various store brands as well.

Ladies model bikes here are generally just parts donors to fix up more desirable men's models. The Schwinn is probably your best bike, with the AMF being a distance second and the Sears being a wild card.

Location makes all the difference when it comes to parts, the SF Bay area is one of the hotbeds for used bikes, along with the Pacific NW and a few other big cities as of late.
On Tuesday, I picked up a Ladies Schwinn Racer here for $40, and I only bought the bike for that because I needed a better saddle and bars for another one year older mens bike I've been piecing together for myself. It was listed for over a year on FB and CL here. But again, this isn't the SF Bay area.
I sold an AMF Hercules men's bike in near new condition after having it listed for two years here at $200, I got $180 for it. Its ladies counterpart never sold, so I used the wheels on another men's frame which I decided to keep.
I've had those Sears bikes, usually their not in very nice condition in this area and I found I do better selling the wheels and parts that will fit other bikes separate and just scrapping the frames of the ladies models. I don't mind them myself, I own and ride an early JC Higgins made in Austria bike from time to time and its on par ride wise with most English bikes of that period.
Here' on the opposite coast I'd be hard pressed to get $200 for the lot and that might take some time to find the right person who for one, wants three bikes, or someone willing or capable of fixing them up. It may be different where your at but the few bike shops we have left here won't work on old bikes, most won't touch anything they didn't sell.

I'd list them separately, and price them in line with other similar bikes in your area. Most people looking for bulk deals usually want to buy for very little.
Thanks for the good detailed info and suggestion(s). Every material item ever made has a unique history! Unfortunately, I'm not in the area and I would have to bug someone multiple times to show them if listed separately. Maybe I will just lower the price for the lot before long and see what happens. I'm thinking I got lucky on the one shot of the Schwinn rear wheel hub. Zooming in I see what must be the SN? L020206 I haven't looked for one in decades, although I did try to find one on this bike earlier.
Old 04-10-21, 06:17 PM
oldlugs

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I looked up the Schwinn Racer and it looks like it was made 11/9/1960 (L020206)
The Bendix Automatic two speed is a nice option to have.
Old 04-10-21, 07:32 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
I think it takes a special kind of collector to enjoy these. Of the pictures I'm seeing above, given an offer opportunity, I could see a seller asking $300, but I wouldn't pay more than $120 tops. The right buyer might get closer to the $200 range, assuming they had the drive and resources to refurbish them.

After refurbishing, I'd probably hope to pull $140-180 per bike, so it would definitely be either a labor of love or boredom driving the refurb.

Sorry, I realize this isn't optimistic. They're not mint, they're not rehabbed, they're not high-end, it's a tough sell.

Old 04-11-21, 08:50 AM
Lonestar Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by francophile
I think it takes a special kind of collector to enjoy these. Of the pictures I'm seeing above, given an offer opportunity, I could see a seller asking $300, but I wouldn't pay more than $120 tops. The right buyer might get closer to the $200 range, assuming they had the drive and resources to refurbish them.

After refurbishing, I'd probably hope to pull $140-180 per bike, so it would definitely be either a labor of love or boredom driving the refurb.

Sorry, I realize this isn't optimistic. They're not mint, they're not rehabbed, they're not high-end, it's a tough sell.
No worries. I feel the same way! I'm sure price will drop soon. May end up giving them away.
Old 04-16-21, 01:39 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
You could always donate them to a bike co-op, or another place where they fix them up and give away to someone who needs a bike , but cannot afford.

Women's bikes in general are not an easy sell, let alone three of them......unless they are such a great deal....like 100 120 for the 3 bikes

Good Luck and Stay/ be safe
Old 04-16-21, 02:32 PM
dombey19

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Brakes?

Just a question. Why does the Schwinn Racer have a coaster brake as well as full hand brakes? That wouldn't be standard.
Old 04-16-21, 02:57 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Late 70's Schwinns 3speeds did have both caliber and coaster brakes. Not a great setup pita to service for a old bike but this is likely stock bike looks original.
Old 04-17-21, 03:36 PM
dombey19

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I worked for Schwinn for twenty years and never saw a factory bike with hand brakes and coaster brakes. What would be the logical reason for two separate braking systems? The racer wasn't produced after 1971, so there were no late 70s models. I have seen some bicycles, not factory, with a single hand brake assisting a Sturmey Archer TCW hub, which was a 3-speed coaster brake that didn't produce the ultimate in stopping power.
Old 04-18-21, 08:40 AM
Lonestar Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dombey19
I worked for Schwinn for twenty years and never saw a factory bike with hand brakes and coaster brakes. What would be the logical reason for two separate braking systems? The racer wasn't produced after 1971, so there were no late 70s models. I have seen some bicycles, not factory, with a single hand brake assisting a Sturmey Archer TCW hub, which was a 3-speed coaster brake that didn't produce the ultimate in stopping power.
I don't know about any of this. I do know the owner lady was a tinkerer and did all her own repairs and modifications on a number of objects around her home. Is it possible she made a hybrid herself?