Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Alcohol and You

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 07:51 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Not a teetotaler, but I don't drink much alcohol. Sometimes a beer sounds good, but usually I'm just not interested.
Old 02-21-17, 07:57 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I consumed my share and more early in life. Haven't had a drop in 27 years. But almost without exception, friends and family I know who continued to consume at a healthy pace have slowed that consumption significantly once they crested the half century mark. Generally not really by conscious choice so much as just losing the desire.
Old 02-21-17, 09:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Everything you say is true. I've noticed the same thing. Now I have a beer once a week, after a long group ride. It's the only thing that immediately kills the pain in my legs. I have a small glass of wine at shabbat dinner. I'll do a little social drinking at a party, maybe once a month, but never get drunk. I keep a breathalyzer in my car.
Old 02-22-17, 07:09 AM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since you've asked. I did abuse alcohol for a period in my life and I have also suffered from anxiety/depression for many years. This was not likely due to the drinking. However, I now take the high road and regard alcohol as I do any drug. It does help in lubricating awkward social situations but it is a crutch. One that claims the lives of innocents at the hand of impaired driving.

The endorphin high I get from vigorous exercise is my drug of choice.
Likes For churnman:
Old 02-22-17, 07:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
tried to explain to my kids: "you're at a party, you're going to have fun, you don't need drugs & alcohol"
Old 02-22-17, 07:56 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Kept a wine cellar for years but my wife can't have alcohol now.
Still have the occasional, but we don't keep any in the house any more. You wouldn't believe how much money that saves.
Old 02-22-17, 07:57 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Do the two of you get along well? I’d like to hear the stories of others in the 50+ crowd regarding their consumption/non-consumption of alcohol.

For most of my life, I’ve consumed a beer or two regularly almost every night. The past few years I often added a shot of hard liqour (whiskey/tequila/rum) on top of that, because I liked the taste and the buzz. But I noticed that it was disturbing my sleep, and affecting how tired I felt the next day. I also worried about the potential health issues of drinking 5-6 nights a week. It didn’t seem like a wise long term plan to me, but I was hooked. With some struggle, I’ve managed to cut back to only 1 or 2 nights a week, and I sleep and feel much better.

Now, I find drinking even one night a week still affects how I sleep and feel, which of course I don't like. I don't want to totally quit, but I also don't want to fall back into my old habits. Anyone else been here?
Tell me about your relationship with alcohol, and how it may have changed through the years. Thanks!
I pretty much quit drinking about 5 years ago. I had some wine on New Years, but I was done after two glasses and gave my wife the bottle. Alcohol just doesn't agree with me anymore.
Old 02-22-17, 08:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,050 Times in 4,479 Posts
Hard core alcoholic here. In the eighties had a bleeding ulcer and got so sick I thought I was going to die. Lost a bunch of weight, looked really bad, and realized I had to quit.
Never joined AA, but I got some help from friends and one doctor I saw included me in a small study of alcoholic children of alcoholic parents.
Haven't had a drop since those days. Don't miss it and don't want to try it again.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-22-17, 08:40 AM
BadBurrito

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it varies for me. in the winter months, it's often a glass of red wine with dinner, except if we are having tacos or pizza, then 1 beer. In the summer months, I like to sit on the patio in the evening and have a glass of wine and then another glass with a late dinner. If we vacation at the beach, it's beer - multiples a day. But it's not unheard of for me to go weeks without having any alcohol for no particular reason, it's just not on my mind.
Old 02-22-17, 09:49 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I'm 64, and never drank when I was working. When I retired, I experimented with alcohol for a while but got bored and quit. I have consumed no substances that cause impairment for many years. It is just coffee for me now.
Old 02-22-17, 11:52 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I can't believe that any of your guys drink. There's a Pub for us that's always empty, cept for me and a few others.
This thread need pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CDogge resized.jpg (94.0 KB, 382 views)
Old 02-22-17, 12:10 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old 02-22-17, 12:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Yes, an unworthy fan!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CDogge resized (2).jpg (62.8 KB, 378 views)
Old 02-22-17, 12:34 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
I'm a large fan of Yuengling Traditional Lager.
I mean, I love the stuff!
I used to drink at least 2 12oz cans a day in the winter, and upwards of 5 or 6 a day in
summer, especially if I'd been doing any sort of yard work.
Just nothing like the taste if a full-bodied beer rolling over your tongue and down your throat when you are hot and sweaty.
And the mild buzz doesn't hurt,either.
But consumption has waned somewhat, especially in the winter.
And, with a severe lack of pedaling mileage this fall and winter, my weight has blossomed over 260 again.
So, time for an extreme reduction or elimination.
As for sleep, 1-2 cans a day don't seem to hurt my sleep pattern, but several in the evening put me to sleep early, only to wake up pie-eyed at 0200 or so.

I also have a taste for Carolans Irish Cream, and the occasional Jack&Ginger is nice as well..............
Old 02-22-17, 12:46 PM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I enjoy a craft beer or glass of red wine while cooking dinner each evening. Sometimes I skip it. It's always accompanied by something: olives, sardines, salami, cheese, etc. I never get headaches unless I'm dehydrated. I've read several articles about the health benefits of both. I haven't had hard liquor since my young and dumb days of college/early into my career.
Old 02-22-17, 12:56 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Ive stuck to my New Years pledge thus far of one drinking night/week. Ive been a homebrewer since 1997 and have mastered making all styles of beer. When people ask how long I've been brewing, I say "for the last 50 pounds or so". Two of my coworkers in their mid 50's died this week. Thus, its time to make some big changes. Oh and Im going to ride the $hit out of my bike this year.
Old 02-22-17, 01:13 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find that the older I get, the physically less tolerant I am to low-grade alcohol and certain ingredients. Cheap red wine gives me an instant headache less than a half glass in. I can no longer enjoy IPAs because brews with a lot of hops in the mix make me feel sick. My body can't deal with the trace fusil oils and congeners that are left in low grade or poorly distilled spirits so again, instant headaches or feelings of queasiness. It's all good... I'm more than happy enjoying the occasional single malt.
Old 02-22-17, 01:43 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The last time that I had a drink was April 30, 1988.

On the way down to the bar that night I remember saying to myself: "This time it's going to be different. I'm going to carry one drink around with me all night, I'm not going to get drunk, I'm not going to get sick and I'm not going to make an ass of myself." It didn't work out that way.
Old 02-22-17, 01:46 PM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Started young since alcohol was no big deal in my house. As a teen I could raid the old man's beer fridge if I wanted. Never was anything exciting to me. Drank some at HS parties but once I became a young adult I only socially drank and rarely got drunk. Taking a USMC physical fitness test while hungover is not fun plus I hate the feeling of losing control. For the past 30 years or so I have the occasional beer but it goes in streaks. I may drink a 12 pack in a month, 3 in a day or none for 3 months. Now it's mostly when I participate in yoga and beer classes, having one afterwards about once a month and a random beer while working in my garage or out with friends. Hard liquor is 3 shots once a year (The USMC birthday for the past, present and future) and the only buzz I may get. No interest in wine.
Old 02-22-17, 03:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Occasionally drank too much when young and foolish - as opposed to old and foolish - but at some point decided hangovers were unpleasant so cut way back. In recent years have drank about one beer daily, often with dinner. Porter, stout or something else that has some flavor.

Not uncommon for sleep to be disturbed by drinking before bedtime - I avoid that.
Old 02-22-17, 03:30 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
When I lived in China I drank quite a bit, I disliked the bajao, which is very a common drink there. I would normally drink the beer; by the way, Tsingdao is not the best beer.

I returned in late 2014 and here in the US I don't drink much at all. I think the last time I had a couple of beers was when I was stuck, due to an airline issue, in Denver.
Old 02-22-17, 03:31 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have no need for the stuff, don't like it! Never understood why people would want to drink alcohol. After watching my relatives destroy their families, jobs, lives while I was growing up, I guess I just always thought it a stupid thing to do. Never touch the stuff, don't have any family issues. It worked for me. Probably a good thing I learned valuable lessons from the drunks in my family.
Old 02-22-17, 03:47 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
As I've gotten older, alcohol and I don't get alone very well. Now at 68, I might have an occasional beer with a meal and usually only in the summer time. Old age does funny things to the body and non of it is any good.
Old 02-22-17, 05:05 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I can't believe that any of your guys drink. There's a Pub for us that's always empty, cept for me and a few others.
This thread need pics.
Wish to heck I still did like I could. We could trade some pretty good stories 😈
Old 02-22-17, 05:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
I find that the older I get, the physically less tolerant I am to low-grade alcohol and certain ingredients. Cheap red wine gives me an instant headache less than a half glass in. I can no longer enjoy IPAs because brews with a lot of hops in the mix make me feel sick. My body can't deal with the trace fusil oils and congeners that are left in low grade or poorly distilled spirits so again, instant headaches or feelings of queasiness. It's all good... I'm more than happy enjoying the occasional single malt.
Ditto, I rarely drink wine anymore. Seems to trigger cluster headaches.

And ditto the hops. I love the hops but they don't love me. Hoppy beers make my sinuses and eyes swell and occasionally worsens into cluster headaches. Zyrtec and Sudafed help (has to be the original pseudoephedrine, not the phenylephrine substitute -- the latter doesn't work on anything except hemorrhoids).

I research my own beer purchases fairly carefully now and stick with those that don't seem to trigger any allergies or headaches. Mostly I like dark milk stouts and traditional ales. I can sip on a single pint for two or three hours at home and be satisfied. But it's hard to find ready made beer without hops, since it's a traditional preservative and most folks think beer doesn't taste right without hops. I've thought about homebrewing my own using no hops -- there's a homebrew supplier down the street from me.

I usually need to take a zyrtec antihistamine on days when I plan to drink beer socially with friends, even if it's not an allergy day. After a bike ride we usually visit a local pub that carries local craft beers. One new brewery, run by friends and riding partners, carries a couple of hoppy beers that I really enjoy so I need to take a zyrtec and sudafed beforehand. As long as I drink only one or two pints I'm good. They make a hoppy pale ale that's peppery, lemony and refreshing but not sweet, and 8% ABV. It's a sneaky devil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.