Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Recovery time after severe crash.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Recovery time after severe crash.

Old 12-16-19, 08:10 AM
1AvidCyclistCat

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Prepared.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I hope you guys don't mind, my plan is to suffer a serious cycling injury vicariously through your stories.
Wise decision, you might be next...🥴
Old 12-16-19, 08:12 AM
1AvidCyclistCat

Appreciated.

Originally Posted by alloo
I'm sorry about your accident. I hope that you heal quickly. I would say just focus on your recovery in PT, then bicycle when you're allowed to.
Thank you kindly [img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/2822d341-172a-4ee7-b5a6-d9d01bd108ee[/img]
Old 12-16-19, 08:18 AM
1AvidCyclistCat

5 weeks post injury update.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I had a serious motorcycle accident about 6 years ago. Broke my clavicle in two places, broke my scapula, and 3 ribs. I was off work for over 3 months but part of that was that I had to wait for skin injuries to heal before they could do surgery on my clavicle, and then that was postponed for several more weeks due to the surgeon having an emergency call. After surgery it was a while before they started me on physical therapy and by that time, I could barely move my arm because it had atrophied so badly. It was a few weeks of PT before I could drive.

I'm sure it would have been a lot faster without the delays but still a long time. All I could say for advice is do all the PT they tell you to do and more. That will minimize the recovery time. Good luck with the healing.

It turns out that my orthopedist team did not prescribe any PT or OT after arriving home. The right arm immobilizer rarely worn after 3-4 weeks. The pain was the challenge for me...The x9 right sided fracture ribs were killing me and needed lots of pain meds. Got a bit gloomy and emotional after the severe concussion with loss of consciousness. Also my short term memory was slipping as well, reminded me of my father with dementia.
Old 12-16-19, 08:22 AM
1AvidCyclistCat

5 weeks post injury update.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I had a serious motorcycle accident about 6 years ago. Broke my clavicle in two places, broke my scapula, and 3 ribs. I was off work for over 3 months but part of that was that I had to wait for skin injuries to heal before they could do surgery on my clavicle, and then that was postponed for several more weeks due to the surgeon having an emergency call. After surgery it was a while before they started me on physical therapy and by that time, I could barely move my arm because it had atrophied so badly. It was a few weeks of PT before I could drive.

I'm sure it would have been a lot faster without the delays but still a long time. All I could say for advice is do all the PT they tell you to do and more. That will minimize the recovery time. Good luck with the healing.

It turns out that my orthopedist team did not prescribe any PT or OT after arriving home. The right arm immobilizer rarely worn after 3-4 weeks. The pain was the challenge for me...The x9 right sided fracture ribs were killing me and needed lots of pain meds. Got a bit gloomy and emotional after the severe concussion with loss of consciousness. Also my short term memory was slipping as well, reminded me of my father with dementia.
At this time my right shoulder mobility has improved almost back to normal, and currently have a posterior right clavicle obvious deformity like a gladiator but the breakthrough pain much less intense as well.
Already being scheduled to work: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and likely New Years Day.
Happy Holidays to all [img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/c95abdaf-8059-40cf-b4ae-9164f3bc829e[/img]
Old 12-16-19, 09:34 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
My doc says recovery time is 2x immobilization time, but then a nurse who knows of my active lifestyle says I'll beat that.

The accident happened Thursday evening; broken C3 with some artery damage and a deep laceration in my left thigh. Thursday night in the ER, Friday and Saturday nights in a room with constant monitoring for nerve damage. No concussion, thankfully - my helmet was cracked, so I guess it absorbed some energy. I was back home Sunday afternoon, back at work Monday morning. I was on the recumbent trainer after a week, and broke a light sweat. It felt good to be alive and breathing hard. All with the doctor's okay, if not enthusiastic blessing..

My neck's been immobilized for 9 weeks, with 3 to go if all goes well. That puts me at Jan 3rd before the collar comes off. Six month recovery time from there puts me at July 3rd. The Crater Lake 1200 (1200 kilometer brevet) is at the end of August. That's my target. If that doesn't work out, I'll find another target.

I know I'm lucky as heck (aside from the bit about crashing), but I'm going to make the best of it I possibly can.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-23-19, 12:33 AM
1AvidCyclistCat

Spartacus resilience

Originally Posted by downtube42
My doc says recovery time is 2x immobilization time, but then a nurse who knows of my active lifestyle says I'll beat that.

The accident happened Thursday evening; broken C3 with some artery damage and a deep laceration in my left thigh. Thursday night in the ER, Friday and Saturday nights in a room with constant monitoring for nerve damage. No concussion, thankfully - my helmet was cracked, so I guess it absorbed some energy. I was back home Sunday afternoon, back at work Monday morning. I was on the recumbent trainer after a week, and broke a light sweat. It felt good to be alive and breathing hard. All with the doctor's okay, if not enthusiastic blessing..

My neck's been immobilized for 9 weeks, with 3 to go if all goes well. That puts me at Jan 3rd before the collar comes off. Six month recovery time from there puts me at July 3rd. The Crater Lake 1200 (1200 kilometer brevet) is at the end of August. That's my target. If that doesn't work out, I'll find another target.

I know I'm lucky as heck (aside from the bit about crashing), but I'm going to make the best of it I possibly can.

Man, you are one tough fellow veteran cyclist. 🙏🏼🏆
Old 07-13-20, 04:47 PM
Cromolyman

Bikes: 1995 Ritchey Road Classic /Record 2013 Seven Axiom SL/Record 2014 Surly Ice Cream Truck/XT 2015 Colnago C60/Super Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm just a little over 2 months from hitting a car that pulled onto the bike lane and just stopped. I didn't even have time to grab the brakes.

Right side ribs 4-10 broken. A hemothorax drained from a chest tube that was placed without benefit of anesthesia (the worst part of the ordeal).

I searched out this thread hoping to read of successful strategies to overcome the fear of riding again.

I took a corner too fast in 6/19, smashed my helmet and skid my face across the asphalt. After healing for 3 or 4 months, I was back on my bike again with little fear because I knew that the cause was on me. I had control not to repeat that mistake.

I now am painfully aware that I have no control over car drivers. I'm 62 and have been riding for over 30 years. I don't want to give it up but at the same time I shake inside at the thought sharing the road with cars.

P.S. I don't care for mountain biking.
Likes For Cromolyman:
Old 07-14-20, 06:51 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Cromolyman
I'm just a little over 2 months from hitting a car that pulled onto the bike lane and just stopped. I didn't even have time to grab the brakes.
Right side ribs 4-10 broken. A hemothorax drained from a chest tube that was placed without benefit of anesthesia (the worst part of the ordeal).
I searched out this thread hoping to read of successful strategies to overcome the fear of riding again.
I took a corner too fast in 6/19, smashed my helmet and skid my face across the asphalt. After healing for 3 or 4 months, I was back on my bike again with little fear because I knew that the cause was on me. I had control not to repeat that mistake.
I now am painfully aware that I have no control over car drivers. I'm 62 and have been riding for over 30 years. I don't want to give it up but at the same time I shake inside at the thought sharing the road with cars.
Big time bummer and hope for a good recovery.

70th birthday was Friday. I biked 141.25 miles. Yesterday marked 11 weeks since a 150lb wild hog ran into me = injured left shoulder, cracked scapula, 2 cracked ribs, punctured lung (had Lidocaine before drain insertion), re-angered my 2011 minor broken neck injury from bike crash plus some other issues. Simply have to shake it off and get back to spinning cranks ASAP. April 2015 I was diagnosed with cancer so I GOTS TO MAKE HAY NOW and ain't gonna let some crash keep me down as long as I can spin the cranks.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-14-20 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-14-20, 01:14 PM
Cromolyman

Bikes: 1995 Ritchey Road Classic /Record 2013 Seven Axiom SL/Record 2014 Surly Ice Cream Truck/XT 2015 Colnago C60/Super Record

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Big time bummer and hope for a good recovery.

70th birthday was Friday. I biked 141.25 miles. Yesterday marked 11 weeks since a 150lb wild hog ran into me = injured left shoulder, cracked scapula, 2 cracked ribs, punctured lung (had Lidocaine before drain insertion), re-angered my 2011 minor broken neck injury from bike crash plus some other issues. Simply have to shake it off and get back to spinning cranks ASAP. April 2015 I was diagnosed with cancer so I GOTS TO MAKE HAY NOW and ain't gonna let some crash keep me down as long as I can spin the cranks.
That's exactly the perspective I needed to consider. Thank you! May you make hay for a long while.
Likes For Cromolyman:
Old 07-16-20, 05:02 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
On July 24th 2013 I went over the top of my bars at about 16 mph and landed on my face. The result was a broken neck in addition to other smaller injuries like a broken nose, chipped teeth, teeth through lips, etc. Ended up with C1 & C2 fused and some micro surgery to my nose. Discharged on August 1st. I was back on the bike in mid-November. My Neurosurgeon, also a cyclist, told me what I could do and when I could do it. I just did whatever he said I could do. My advice is to do exactly what the Docs tell you.
Old 07-20-20, 01:30 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Be fierce as you face fears

Chromolly man,
As a fellow avid cyclist over 60, and as a resilient survivor of near catastrophic deadly trauma from a high speed (30+ MPH sprint loosing control avoiding colliding with x2 domestic playful dogs) I can share that the fear of cars is real. One must reassert the desire to return to road cycling from the soul of your broken ribs and put on a new helmet and gloves, and just go for a ride when the traffic around is at its slowest: early AM, mid afternoon or near sunset. Pick a familiar route and send your ride link to someone you trust most. Before you know it, a big smile will wipe away any fears or tears of pain memories with exhilaration ecstasy of riding in the zone with lots of endorphins 😎👍
Likes For 1AvidCyclistCat:
Old 07-27-20, 12:47 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Four years ago, Labor Day I went down on some loose gravel. Fractured my left hip, surgically repaired with titanium. Upon getting in the recovery room the surgeon stated you older people take a long time to recover! Spent two days in hospital, released with no official therapy. Follow up appointment my name was called I got up and met the nurse, she asked my name because she said people with my injury don’t get up that fast.
i was back on my trainer in 10 days back on the road in two months! The last doctor visit he said, “I wish all my patients were like you!”
I was 72, 20,000 miles later I still ride 15 to 30 miles a day!
Likes For a77impala:
Old 08-02-20, 11:35 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

Redefining aging

Originally Posted by a77impala
Four years ago, Labor Day I went down on some loose gravel. Fractured my left hip, surgically repaired with titanium. Upon getting in the recovery room the surgeon stated you older people take a long time to recover! Spent two days in hospital, released with no official therapy. Follow up appointment my name was called I got up and met the nurse, she asked my name because she said people with my injury don’t get up that fast.
i was back on my trainer in 10 days back on the road in two months! The last doctor visit he said, “I wish all my patients were like you!”
I was 72, 20,000 miles later I still ride 15 to 30 miles a day!
Thank fir sharing, inspiring remarkable elite veteran cyclist Impala77 😎🏆✨
Old 04-05-21, 12:32 PM
Cromolyman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm back on the bike thanks to the advice given here. I'm really enjoying riding following a tentative first few miles. Last year while still in pain, I thought that the advice to just get back on was too simplistic to be true. It's not. Thanks again!
Old 04-05-21, 03:38 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
I'm back on the bike thanks to the advice given here. I'm really enjoying riding following a tentative first few miles. Last year while still in pain, I thought that the advice to just get back on was too simplistic to be true. It's not. Thanks again!
Old 04-12-21, 08:55 PM
1AvidCyclistCat

RXL SL 60 Carbon Handlebar

It is bomb proof! Get one!
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's a rough accident. Glad it wasn't any worse.

To be honest, you should expect a year to recover. I'll be 62 this week. In May 2018 I was hit by a car. Second time. First was 2001, which broke my back and neck in six places. That took a full decade to recover. I was walking with a cane until 2014. I resumed cycling in 2015 after working up to it gradually with long walks.

My injury last year after being hit by a car took more than a year to recover, and I'll always have a permanent shoulder and neck injury.

Physical therapy is a daily routine now. At a minimum I do massage and stretching. For a couple of months this spring and summer I was in PT at a nearby clinic 3 times a week. Now I work out at home twice a week, mostly body weight calisthenics. I ride 3-4 times a week, averaging 150 miles a week.

My main hindrance to rides longer than 20-30 miles is still neck and shoulder pain. That won't improve. I'm not sure I'd accept surgery even if it was recommended. Too risky for the neck.

BTW, that RXL handlebar must be pretty tough. I was considering one for a bike I'm building up. It just moved up on my list of components to consider.