Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Hip Osteoarthritis -- How are you changing your fit?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 12:37 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

My left hip is pretty bad. I've shredded it pretty badly and have intermintant OA related pain. Recently I picked up a new frame to build up and after riding it a couple times, I'm having massive pain in my hip crease area. My theory is I need a steeper seattube angle to match what I had been riding. (72deg on new bike, 74deg on old). I'm going to test a 0 offset seatpost today. Handlebars are already ~3/4in above saddle.

Anything else I'm not thinking of?
Old 05-24-20, 10:18 AM
Poohah

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp (basically upgraded to an Expert with a Roval C38 wheelset)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've dealt with major OA in both hips and even though they've now both been replaced (which has made me 20 years younger in EVERY including cycling) I'm still working on flexibility due to the years of neglect to my muscles and tendons. I still require a more upright position than a typical cyclist which means higher bars rather than a higher seat. I'd really recommend that you get a pro fitting done (when they start doing them again) as they'll evaluate your flexibility and dial in the fit for you. There's probably a shop in your area that does Retül fittings (Specialized's program) which I did and felt it made a big difference. Good luck!
Old 07-13-20, 10:53 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
My left hip is pretty bad. I've shredded it pretty badly and have intermintant OA related pain. Recently I picked up a new frame to build up and after riding it a couple times, I'm having massive pain in my hip crease area. My theory is I need a steeper seattube angle to match what I had been riding. (72deg on new bike, 74deg on old). I'm going to test a 0 offset seatpost today. Handlebars are already ~3/4in above saddle.

Has your cadence been the same on the new bike? Do you measure it?
Old 10-19-20, 09:46 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob

A little late to the game here and not sure I have OA. After more than about 10 miles the pain in my left hip was so bad that when I dismounted the bike I could barely stand on my left leg.

Had a Retul fit done in Boulder in January with some minor adjustments. One important one for me, I think, is that I went to a Shimano pedal with a +4mm axle with an additional 1mm washer on each side. Increased the Q Factor - a great benefit for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing the Retul fit revealed is that my left leg/knee does not track perfectly perpendicular through the pedal stroke. The knee tracks high and away from the bike at the top of the stroke. Sort of like this \. The wide pedals helped with this as well.

Something to consider.

Glenn