Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Recent Scare

Old 02-20-21, 03:54 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Recent Scare

I'm 55, and my PSA went up to 5.3 six months ago. Regrettably, I had not been vigilant about having it checked every year, so this was a bit of a shock. I was referred to a urologist, who was concerned for me due to the PSA, his digital exam noting a firm mass and my very strong family history of prostate cancer-- my father and three uncles all had their prostates out by 75 years old. My MRI came back confirming that suspicious lesion but at least it was all contained within the prostate. I was convinced I was going to have it out this year.

I had an ultrasound guided prostate biopsy, removing 24 specimens on Friday last week. Twelve were from the suspicious lesion and twelve from the rest of the prostate. Thankfully, they ALL came back with no cancer at all-- not even the low grade, non-aggressive type! I feel so relieved, like a cat who has used up one of his lives.

My diagnosis is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, which is to be treated medically when it begins to be a problem. Thankfully, I can fully empty my bladder with no problem at this time. My follow up will include repeating the PSA every six months and a repeat of the MRI next year.

PSA about the PSA: Go get your PSA done and make sure your physician is examining your prostate (I know, not fun) if you qualify in this 50+ section! I got lucky.

Now I can plan out my cycling for the rest of the year!
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 02-20-21, 04:41 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Good results
Old 02-20-21, 05:14 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have succumbed to the fact over 50 requires a lot more preventative maintenance than the years before. Doc was concerned I had prostate issues after a spike in PSA last year. Went to see Doctor Thickfinger and had the camera up the ol' pee pistol to check the bladder out. Several good things happened during that visit. 1. Small hemorrhoid was shoved back into place, 2. found a birth defect in the barrel of the pee pistol that explains a lot of things, 3, no problems detected in the bladder or the prostate.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 02-20-21, 05:43 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Jeeze, getting older sucks.
I’m closer to fifty’n forty and every day is one day closer to those kinds of issues.
Especially not looking forward to stuff like prostate exams...
Old 02-21-21, 06:54 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I'm 55, and my PSA went up to 5.3 six months ago. Regrettably, I had not been vigilant about having it checked every year, so this was a bit of a shock. I was referred to a urologist, who was concerned for me due to the PSA, his digital exam noting a firm mass and my very strong family history of prostate cancer-- my father and three uncles all had their prostates out by 75 years old. My MRI came back confirming that suspicious lesion but at least it was all contained within the prostate. I was convinced I was going to have it out this year.

I had an ultrasound guided prostate biopsy, removing 24 specimens on Friday last week. Twelve were from the suspicious lesion and twelve from the rest of the prostate. Thankfully, they ALL came back with no cancer at all-- not even the low grade, non-aggressive type! I feel so relieved, like a cat who has used up one of his lives.

My diagnosis is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, which is to be treated medically when it begins to be a problem. Thankfully, I can fully empty my bladder with no problem at this time. My follow up will include repeating the PSA every six months and a repeat of the MRI next year.

PSA about the PSA: Go get your PSA done and make sure your physician is examining your prostate (I know, not fun) if you qualify in this 50+ section! I got lucky.

Now I can plan out my cycling for the rest of the year!
Congratulations on a good report and also with your approach of AS Active Surveillance. THANKFULLY it is a choice that has become more widespread AND is saving many men AND THEIR SO's the heart break of bad doctor recommendations for surgery, chemo, radiation when they are NOT NEEDED.

IMO, every man should start to monitor his PSA at an early age to look for trends AND TO REALIZE that a High or Low PSA is not in and of itself an indicator of PCa. (Prostate Cancer.) Good luck and dearly hope you never advance.
Old 02-21-21, 07:53 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
(My doctor) "Curl up on your side and pull your pants down"
(Me, knowing what was coming) "Do we really have to do this?"
(Doc) "It's not exactly my favorite part, either, y'know."
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-21-21, 04:25 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Here's my 2¢.

My dad had prostate cancer at 51 and 2 years later he was gone, so i've been seeing a urologist since I was 45, now 65.

My PSA has been low, in the 1s for years. Around 60 it went into the low 2s which is still good. Three years ago I had my PSA tested as part of my annual physical and it was almost 4. I followed up at my urologist and he suggested a biopsy since I have a strong family history. It was negative and we did PSA test in 3 month intervals. The next test was in the winter and as back in the low 2s. In June I had another and it was back in the high 3s. After telling my urologist that i'm an active cyclist and showing him the saddle i have he suggested that the cycling could cause the prostate to be inflamed which can raise the PSA. So for the next test I stopped riding for 2 week prior and my PSA was back in the low 2s. Six month later I had a physical for a life insurance policy and didn't know they would do a PSA... it was again in the high 3s. For the next one by my urologist I stopped for 2 weeks and it was in the 2s.This past January I had a recheck at my GP and didn't know ahead that she was doing a PSA, you guessed it in the high 3s. So a few days ago I had a PSA that was scheduled with my urologist and stopped riding for 2 weeks... it was in the low 2s.

So this not really scientific test says for "me", that actively riding can inflame the prostate and cause your PSA to be higher than normal. And it will return if you take a break.

Anyone else have similar results?
Old 02-21-21, 04:49 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Here's my 2¢.

My dad had prostate cancer at 51 and 2 years later he was gone, so i've been seeing a urologist since I was 45, now 65.

My PSA has been low, in the 1s for years. Around 60 it went into the low 2s which is still good. Three years ago I had my PSA tested as part of my annual physical and it was almost 4. I followed up at my urologist and he suggested a biopsy since I have a strong family history. It was negative and we did PSA test in 3 month intervals. The next test was in the winter and as back in the low 2s. In June I had another and it was back in the high 3s. After telling my urologist that i'm an active cyclist and showing him the saddle i have he suggested that the cycling could cause the prostate to be inflamed which can raise the PSA. So for the next test I stopped riding for 2 week prior and my PSA was back in the low 2s. Six month later I had a physical for a life insurance policy and didn't know they would do a PSA... it was again in the high 3s. For the next one by my urologist I stopped for 2 weeks and it was in the 2s.This past January I had a recheck at my GP and didn't know ahead that she was doing a PSA, you guessed it in the high 3s. So a few days ago I had a PSA that was scheduled with my urologist and stopped riding for 2 weeks... it was in the low 2s.

So this not really scientific test says for "me", that actively riding can inflame the prostate and cause your PSA to be higher than normal. And it will return if you take a break.

Anyone else have similar results?
Very interesting and, maybe not too surprising. I have a PSA test coming up in a couple of weeks. Being off the bike for the past two months because of the pelvic fracture may turn out to be a good thing. The test last year was 3.4

Old 02-21-21, 04:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
Very interesting and, maybe not too surprising. I have a PSA test coming up in a couple of weeks. Being off the bike for the past two months because of the pelvic fracture may turn out to be a good thing. The test last year was 3.4
My test in January I rode 180 miles the 2 weeks before and the day before I did 45 miles.

Normally during the winter I get a monthly gym membership and do spin with the occasional outdoor ride. This year, due to Covid, i'm not going anywhere near a gym. I already had a "winter" bike and finally found fenders that fit which makes riding when it's wet a lot cleaner. I also bought some additional cold weather cloths and mixing and matching them I can ride as long as there's no ice. Today I did 43 miles and it was in the mid 20s.

As with anything medical, knowledge is power and gives you options.

I've seen what happens when it's too late and i don't wish that on anyone's family. They're the ones that have to live with the experience when you're gone.
Old 02-23-21, 10:34 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
The PSA 'number' is not as important as the RATE of increase.

A age 51, mine was in the low 1.s. The next year it was in the mid 2s. Hmmm.... Doc says to recheck in six weeks -- tested at almost a 3. Biopsy scheduled, and confirmed PCa in half the gland. Gleason score of 7. Had the Prostate removed two months later and upon post-surgical exam, had spread to the whole gland, and on the verge of metastasizing. Gleason score of 8+. I would probably not be here today if I had not been proactive in treatment. As it turns out, ALL of my maternal family-related males have had PCa, and maternal grandfather died of it in 1962 (before treatments were readily available). You'd have thought that somebody in the family would have warned me, but noooo....
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 02-24-21, 03:49 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
The PSA 'number' is not as important as the RATE of increase.

A age 51, mine was in the low 1.s. The next year it was in the mid 2s. Hmmm.... Doc says to recheck in six weeks -- tested at almost a 3. Biopsy scheduled, and confirmed PCa in half the gland. Gleason score of 7. Had the Prostate removed two months later and upon post-surgical exam, had spread to the whole gland, and on the verge of metastasizing. Gleason score of 8+. I would probably not be here today if I had not been proactive in treatment. As it turns out, ALL of my maternal family-related males have had PCa, and maternal grandfather died of it in 1962 (before treatments were readily available). You'd have thought that somebody in the family would have warned me, but noooo....
r.e. >> BOLD

Was it a TRUS biopsy that is OLD SCHOOL and sadly SOC (Standard Of Care) performed in Urologist's Office that simply does not AND CAN NOT reach enough of the prostate for an accurate sampling. Thanks to the lagging acceptance by FDA and Insurance Companies here in the USA, having a 3TmpMRI FIRST is not the SOC as is throughout the World.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 02-24-21 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 03:49 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Exploratory (diagnositic) biopsy was the 30-needle (core sample) type. Hurt like a MoFo!

Post surgery biopsy was an actual full-tissue examination of the removed Prostate gland.
Old 02-24-21, 04:57 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Exploratory (diagnositic) biopsy was the 30-needle (core sample) type. Hurt like a MoFo!

Post surgery biopsy was an actual full-tissue examination of the removed Prostate gland.
If TRUS then Lidocaine typically is used to dull the pinch but if Transperineal usually something more powerful AND there should not have been pain. SORRY yours was not pain free.GOOD LUCK for a future free of a recurrence.
Old 02-25-21, 11:48 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Being over 50 in relatively new territory only 3 years experience. Having high blood pressure that I fortunately can control with medication is always on my mind. I’m extra diligent watching for every sign something might be wrong. Preventative maintenance I guess you could say. I’m fairly fit and the high BP is inherited. I don’t recover like I use too that I have noticed. And I quit telling people how early I got out of bed because no one cares. I got that cue from the How Not To Become Your Parents commercial on TV. lol
Old 02-25-21, 10:43 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Thanks to all that contributed. Be safe, everyone.