Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vittoria's new foam insert for road bikes with flat tires

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-02-21, 12:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I'm skeptical, but it would be great if I'm wrong. They claim it has no effect on rolling resistance and weighs less than your valve. The idea is you can limp home or back to your car without damaging your rim.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/04/vitt...or-road-bikes/
Old 04-02-21, 12:31 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm skeptical, but it would be great if I'm wrong. They claim it has no effect on rolling resistance and weighs less than your valve. The idea is you can limp home or back to your car without damaging your rim.

It looks like a roadie version of cushcore that has been used in mountain biking for a number of years: many of the pro racers and freeriders use it because it increases their chances of getting down safely if they suffer a flat. It also helps prevent the tire rolling off the rim so easily. Obviously, they also don't have time to stop and fix the puncture, so they need to keep going.

Does it have an application on the road? Possibly, although I'm not sure its needed as most [non-racing] people carry spare tubes of repair kits. I can see the safety aspect if you flat at high speed, but people need to decide for themselves if that's a big enough concern for them.

Is there a use in the pro Peloton? Isn't the "run flat" capability the reason most use tubs?

Last edited by Doomrider74; 04-02-21 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-02-21, 12:52 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts

Is this for tubeless tires only?
Old 04-02-21, 01:03 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts

Neat idea. Using a type of foam that compresses under the localized pressure inside the tire but expands when exposed to ambient is really clever.

However, this is the part that seems a bit off-putting to me:

...there’s one major caveat here. Vittoria’s Air-Liner better work as it’s supposed to, because you unfortunately have no recourse if it doesn’t. It may not be unreasonably difficult to get the things installed, but there’s absolutely no way you’re yanking them out roadside to install an inner tube if the sealant isn’t sealing and/or you can’t get the hole plugged. And even if you could, where would you put the thing? It’s much too big to stick in a jersey pocket, and it’d be covered in nasty tubeless goop, anyway.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-02-21, 01:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Neat idea. Using a type of foam that compresses under the localized pressure inside the tire but expands when exposed to ambient is really clever.

However, this is the part that seems a bit off-putting to me:
Yeah, saw that. I'm curious how squishy it is. Could you compress enough with your hands to get it shoved into a pouch of some sort? I don't see what the difficulty is in yanking it out, just the issue of what to with it afterwards.

Does this also open up the possibility of running tubeless tires without sealant, since the downside of no sealant is just a slower ride home, or possibly sticking a tube in without concern of a goopy mess? Random oddball question. Is there a way to spot apply sealant to TL tire punctures (eg. after getting home), or is a bacon-strip or boot the only way for TL?
Old 04-02-21, 02:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Sounds pretty cool to me. Roadside removal is a non-issue for me; with the sealant as first line defense and the Airliner as a second, fully rideable line of defense, the need to pull the tire roadside vanishes for me. Maybe self-supported touring would be a situation where the Airliner makes less sense, but for tyical sport riding, it sure sounds cherry to me.

Sy Reene I dunno why you’d not want to run sealant, but yeah, if you’re okay with the diminshed performance of running on the Airliner when flat, you can skip sealant. You could certainly carry sealant and inject it if needed, but the silliness of that should be obvious; if you’re going to stop and faff around with sealant and reinflating, what’s the point of the Airliner? You may as well just do a tube change at that point.
Old 04-02-21, 02:24 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-02-21, 04:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by chaadster

Sy Reene I dunno why you’d not want to run sealant, but yeah, if you’re okay with the diminshed performance of running on the Airliner when flat, you can skip sealant. You could certainly carry sealant and inject it if needed, but the silliness of that should be obvious; if you’re going to stop and faff around with sealant and reinflating, what’s the point of the Airliner? You may as well just do a tube change at that point.
I'm not really sure either. Thinking maybe there are some who may want to run tubeless, but who typically don't flat much at all. Which of course begs question.. just run tubes. But if the tubeless for some might be just to run low pressures without as much fear of pinch flatting, then could you have a clean setup without sealant but these vittoria things inside. In a emergency, you could pull the foam thingie out and stick a tube in without the mess. If you're only 5 miles or so from home or the finish, then you could opt to just deal with it later after your ride.
Old 04-02-21, 04:09 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like promising new tech.
Thanks OP for sharing.
Likes For stevoo:
Old 04-02-21, 04:11 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm not really sure either. Thinking maybe there are some who may want to run tubeless, but who typically don't flat much at all. Which of course begs question.. just run tubes. But if the tubeless for some might be just to run low pressures without as much fear of pinch flatting, then could you have a clean setup without sealant but these vittoria things inside. In a emergency, you could pull the foam thingie out and stick a tube in without the mess. If you're only 5 miles or so from home or the finish, then you could opt to just deal with it later after your ride.
That’s a perplexing scenario to me, as there really is no downside to having sealant to the rider who doesn’t flat much. The stuff is cheap, and it’s just in there, in the tire, until it dries out, at which point they’re back to just having the Airliner...which cannot be removed roadside (i.e. without a bead jack and fistful of levers).

How we’ll know how much sealant is in there with the Airliner installed is an interesting question. Thoughts? I guess we could weigh to check...
Old 04-02-21, 04:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by chaadster
That’s a perplexing scenario to me, as there really is no downside to having sealant to the rider who doesn’t flat much. The stuff is cheap, and it’s just in there, in the tire, until it dries out, at which point they’re back to just having the Airliner...which cannot be removed roadside (i.e. without a bead jack and fistful of levers).
Is it hard to remove? I read the article, but I'm not clear why it's not just a matter of popping a bead, getting a hold of thing and yanking it out as you move around the wheel? They did seem to imply it's harder to remove than install, but that doesn't make sense to me.

I completely agree there's no downside to sealant if you don't have one of these things installed.

The downside I guess is just the usage of sealant itself, and as the article mentions, mess you might have if you need to install a tube and remove this thing.
Anyway.. just a thought -- it might not make sense for everyone or anyone I suppose.
Old 04-02-21, 04:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

The purposes of sealant are to make sure the rim and tire interface is air tight, and to seal minor cuts and punctures.

There's really no downside to having sealant in your tires with or without a foam thing. There are advantages to tubeless beyond simply flatting much less.
Old 04-02-21, 04:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by stevoo
Looks like promising new tech.
Thanks OP for sharing.
We are in an amazing time; between “tech tubes” (e.g. Aerothan, Revoloop, and Tubolito), this Airliner runflat device, and the array of tubeless tires, we’re able to fine tune our wheel systems to our needs like never before. I think it’s awesome!

The downside is that it’s more complexity and cost. It’s crazy to consider the number of things we spend money on these days which my parents didn’t have to spend on (because they didn’t exist), and we’re not talking about spending “nickles and dimes,” but rather $10s and $20s! Cell phones, of course, but also cable TV, internet, movie channels, Strava, Sirius XM for the car, iPad insurance...and I’ve not even gotten to bike stuff like computers, HRMs, helmets, lights, clipless pedals and air compressors to seat your tubeless tires! My god, it’s no wonder I’m poor!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-02-21, 04:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Is it hard to remove?.
Yes. Watch the GCN video I posted upthread
Old 04-02-21, 04:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

The purposes of sealant are to make sure the rim and tire interface is air tight, and to seal minor cuts and punctures.

There's really no downside to having sealant in your tires with or without a foam thing. There are advantages to tubeless beyond simply flatting much less.
That was kinda what I'm getting at.. if the advantage seeking for TL is not about flatting less, then with this new tech to start thinking about skipping the sealant. I don't know if this article is accurate; are UST tires the only TL tires that work without sealant? If so, you can ignore everything I suggested unless you're running Mavics, right?

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tip...s-tires-guide/
Old 04-02-21, 05:07 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

That was kinda what I'm getting at.. if the advantage seeking for TL is not about flatting less, then with this new tech to start thinking about skipping the sealant. I don't know if this article is accurate; are UST tires the only TL tires that work without sealant? If so, you can ignore everything I suggested unless you're running Mavics, right?

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tip...s-tires-guide/
No, UST aren’t the only airtight tubeless tires. I ran first gen Schwalbe Pro One tires on American Classic Argent tubeless rims (non-UST) without sealant, no problem.

I’ve kind of lost track of what all the particular tubeless terminology refering to casing type means, e.g. “tubeless ready,” “Tubeless Easy,” “TLE,” “tubeless,” “tubeless TLR,” and all the rest, but basically some casings are lined to make them airtight, and some are not, relying instead on the sealant to make the casing airtight.
Old 04-02-21, 05:25 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
At first I was like, what's this stupid gimmick.

Then, after seeing how it works, I'm like, hey, that's pretty neat.

Now, after reading all the comments, my eyes have glazed over and I'm back to zero desire to move on from tubed clinchers and tubulars.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 04-02-21, 05:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

I've been doing road tubeless for five years. I've loved bikes my whole life; I've spent a lot of time on tubes. Tubes are a pain in the ass. They flat a lot more often, you have to run higher pressures because there's a tube to pinch, they add to rolling resistance, the ride quality is lesser.

This thing seems gimmicky, but if they work as advertised, even better. I'll use them if they work.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-02-21, 06:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Tubes are a pain in the ass.
Yeah they are. Revisiting them, after not using them for a few years, illustrated that pretty well for me.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-02-21, 09:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
I've been tubeless on the road for about 6 months and I have found that I love it. I am not typically one to be an early adopter of new tech, I usually let people pay for the experience of being first and and then just wait and watch to see if I want to join in or applaud myself for letting it pass me by. It took me about 8 years to get a cell phone, but this is something I think I could be an early adopter on. There have been times where I had the joy of flatting both tires at once and then realizing about a mile or 2 up the road, I did not find all the offending debris in my tire and I flatted a 3 time and I only had to spares with me and no tube patches. I like the idea of tubeless but don't like the idea of having to deal with the mess of the sealant as I put in a tube I have the unfortunately situation where the sealant will not plug it.

If this is something that will allow me to make it safely home at a slightly slower speed, allowing me to deal with the tire in my garage, yea, that I find appealing and could jump on that bandwagon.

Old 04-02-21, 09:55 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I'm glad this topic is being discussed here. I watched the GCN video and I have to admit. I am intrigued. I don't think I will be early adopter of this technology. But as people on the forums here adopt the tech and try it out, that might sway my opinion.

Definitely a cool/interesting concept. The price seems reasonable too.
Old 04-02-21, 10:35 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I'm glad this topic is being discussed here. I watched the GCN video and I have to admit. I am intrigued. I don't think I will be early adopter of this technology. But as people on the forums here adopt the tech and try it out, that might sway my opinion.

Definitely a cool/interesting concept. The price seems reasonable too.
Out of curiosity, what is it that you cannot discern about the Airliner which relies on BF experience to gain your acceptance? I mean, we’re talking Vittoria her, not some Kickstarter startup, so that Airliner works as advertised should not be issue. What, then, is it you want to hear from strangers on BF which will sway you to try the tech for yourself?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-02-21, 11:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

How does the 50 to 80 psi in the tire compress the foam enough to not touch the contact patch, and then the same foam hold your weight?

If it's the rear tire that's 60+% of your body being held up?
Old 04-03-21, 04:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

How does the 50 to 80 psi in the tire compress the foam enough to not touch the contact patch, and then the same foam hold your weight?

If it's the rear tire that's 60+% of your body being held up?
Good question! Dunno, but I’d guess variable compressibility, such that the entire volume of the Airliner doesn’t compress, but maybe only a range or layer of it does. Maybe some of the cavities in the foam are under vacuum which, at atmospheric pressure, the mechanical properties of the foam overcomes to maintain form, but then collapse when air pressure is increased inside the tire. Does that make any sense?
Old 04-03-21, 04:29 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
So now we only need a rim/tyre comparability list, a compressor, some sealant, some extra valve cores, a bead jack, a co2 pump, a set of bacon strips with insert tool and a cushcore for our TL hookless whel/tyre combo, that is supposedly flat proof to begin with ..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.