Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to get bike fit?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How long does it take to get bike fit?

Old 04-07-20, 03:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by robkyle
Hermès, your reply is probably the most informative answer I’ve ever read on Bike Forums.
Thanks. Got me on a good day.

Originally Posted by big john
He knows a lot of stuff.
Ha. I just ride these things. I let others coach.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Probably even more in the almost ten years since that post!
Maybe or maybe just more revolutions in my legs.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-09-20, 06:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I like two of the local group rides that push me harder than I would do by myself. One rides more and steeper hills, the other cranks up the pace on the flat roads. Both of these rides go hard for 3-10 minutes at a time, then either regroup or hit a stop light, etc. So it's informal interval training. I've never tried formal intervals that do sets of x minutes hard and x minutes easy.
Thread revival! Hey look, there I was in 2009!

I'm still riding, and until this spring, I still liked doing some challenging group rides that made me go harder than I would myself. Fun!

But now with Covid19 distancing, I'm still riding, but with only 1 or maybe 2 other riders. (Side by side with one other rider, well spaced with 2. It feels safe to me.)

No more 60+ mile rides, we don't want to stop at stores. And the pace is easier, we are minimizing risks on downhills and on rough roads. But these rides are great, with no traffic and a chance to take in the scenic countryside. I may stick with this riding style from now on.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 04-10-20, 01:27 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Thread revival! Hey look, there I was in 2009!
Note to self- come back to this thread in year 2031 and post something inspirational... assuming humans are extant.
Old 04-11-20, 02:51 AM
zenmonkey
banana ying yang

Bikes: SC Blur & a Lapierre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, it’s an inspiring thread! After years of riding both road and mtb I let my self go and find myself overweight, out of shape and disappointed that I let this go for too long. Current affairs have gotten me back on bike. Thanks for the posts, nice to see older folks pushing the envelope.
Old 04-12-20, 07:38 PM
itsnevertoolate

Bikes: 2008 OCR 1; 2012 Giant Defy Advanced 2; 2014 Giant Propel Advanced SL1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I'm retired now and cycling more than ever...! I feel the most 'bike fit' that I've ever felt and look forward to riding at every opportunity which is pretty much as often as I want.

Hopefully everyone on this thread is in an area that allows for cycling during this corona-virus lock down... I'm riding on roads and avoiding bike/pedestrian paths as much as possible (don't like riding up on people or cyclists and having to pass...).

Glad to see this post is still going and I hope it's an inspiration to anyone who happens to stumble into it...

One of the advantages in starting older than younger is you're always getting better... opposed to having started younger and watching it slip away... it truly is 'nevertoolate'!
Likes For itsnevertoolate:
Old 04-12-20, 08:04 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Different people have different ideas as to what constitutes being fit.

To be able to compete in the Tour De France, or even to keep up with those very fit riders, most of us will never do it.

But to be fit enough to get around on a bike with ease, is a realistic goal for most people.

If you try to keep fit when you can, then go through a time when you exercise less for any reason, to get back to fitness is probably easier than if you never tried to get fit in the first place.
Old 05-07-20, 03:11 PM
schuh8

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part of it comes quick

I'm 75 and just started cycling again due to a bad hip. After about 3 days I have noticed reduced soreness in the butt and knees. If it keeps up at that rate I'll be ready for the Tour de France soon.
Old 05-13-20, 09:57 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Very inspiring to read the updates, especially the one by the OP.. I retired 7 years ago but did a lot of travel for the first few years without much cycling, and currently spend winters in SE Asia. Cycling is not good where I am there but the weather is perfect so I keep a bike there and climb a brutally steep mountain road 3 days a week. Max effort straight up for 45 min, lol. Here I ride more normally 3-4 days/wk at 20-30 each and am improving, but progress is slow.

We have excellent bike paths and crappy roads here in Tucson so I do ride on paths at times (with a mask on to avoid potential virus when coming up behind other riders). I don't enjoy technical training but love riding my bikes so I just ride hard and fast sometimes, a long slow once a week and a couple days on climbing routes that stairstep up like intervals. It keeps it fun and it's enough to keep me fit at 65, but my weight has been stuck at 185 for 20 years, so the OP results make me want to do more, haha.

Last edited by mtnroads; 05-13-20 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 06:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My opinion is that there are too many variables involved for someone else to answer your question. Things like age, body fat %, your genetics, body type, etc. I can tell you what seems to happen to me. At age 74 I am at my old college football weight but am about 2" shorter. So, now around 5'8 1/2" and 186 lbs. I was a QB and a SS, so that general body type. And, I could run explosively but not for long. Having thrown those variables into my mix....if I ride 3 times a week for 20-30 mi a ride, I will start seeing fitness in about a month. My climbing will still suck but two months into it that will improve. My entire athletic life has been a pattern of slow progress for awhile and then a huge leap forward. I don't know why.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-22-20, 08:23 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
I'm 52 and started cycling at age 50. Just 2 years ago I weighed north of 330 lbs. Today, I'm 175lbs. No surgery, no pills, just cycling and proper diet, rest, recovery. I'm not sure I'm bike fit yet. I ride about as much as you, 50-70 miles a week, but I didn't do 200 yards on that first ride, LOL. I continue to strive very hard to reach greater fitness goals. What I am learning more and more is that at my age it takes a lot of maintaince and perfect fuel to make this older body feel young and strong. Diet is extremely important, but so is proper rest and stress relieving relaxation. I can tell a big difference when I drink any alcohol at all. Even moderate drinking of a glass or two of wine 2-3 times a week, and I can tell it's effects compared to when I've been a couple weeks without any alcohol. I can tell a difference when I get lax in my stretching.I also think cross training on different style bikes and different exercises help me a lot. I do calistenitics, free weights, some yoga, and swimming.
Old 05-24-20, 12:23 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
.... you'll look at all the other pot-bellied 58 year olds and feel pretty good about yourself.

for me its not just the "58 year olds", past couple weeks I have encountered younger dudes on their 30's and 40's and I being an old grayish dude in my mid to late 50's passing them and then they try to catch up to me, which sometimes they do, at Stop Lights of course. .... :-) a lot of FUN.

Last edited by Eds0123; 05-24-20 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 04:15 PM
rwag

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was doing a lot of biking back in the early to mid 80's. Took a spill and popped my right knee cartilage. Gave up biking and got involved in other hobbies. Now at 78 I'm back on the bike again. Been at it for about 6 months. Thought I was in pretty good shape. But I can say one thing, my legs needed a lot of work. Doing a lot of back and leg strengthening exercises. But the more riding you can do the better. I'm in this for the enjoyment and exercise. But I'm still going to push myself. Good Luck
Old 05-25-20, 04:59 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I've been riding 40+ years, but don't know what bike fit is really. People that don't ride likely think I'm bike fit. However on any given day I pass a lot of people and get passed by a lot of people.
Old 05-26-20, 05:58 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
From a slightly fat 202 pound 5'11" 54 year old very weak legged desk jockey
to a hard charging hunter of most any 30 to 40 somethings for 15 relentless Singletrack trail miles
and stay on their back wheel at 160 pounds with lean burning engines and a great Intake system 57 year old.
Well you do the math
Old 05-29-20, 06:54 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Thanks. Got me on a good day.
Ha. I just ride these things. I let others coach.
Maybe or maybe just more revolutions in my legs.
Hermes! Great to see you posting. For everyone else - as in evidence here, Hermes may be the most knowledgeable, and considerate, person to ever post on the 50+ Forum. And the second best climber. After a brief 10 yr. layoff, I may start riding again. Trying to decide whether or not to take the Zwift plunge as spending a lot of time on the roads around Taos is not healthy.
Likes For Terex:
Old 05-29-20, 10:39 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Hermes! Great to see you posting. For everyone else - as in evidence here, Hermes may be the most knowledgeable, and considerate, person to ever post on the 50+ Forum. And the second best climber. After a brief 10 yr. layoff, I may start riding again. Trying to decide whether or not to take the Zwift plunge as spending a lot of time on the roads around Taos is not healthy.
Thanks for the props. Take the plunge. You may want to cruise the 33 racing forum training section. There are several posts about Zwift and the setup guys are using. I do not have a smart trainer but it seems like smart trainer have a much better road feel and may make indoor cycling better.

I am riding a lot outdoors. What else is there to do? However, tomorrow I get my hair cut. Every time I take off my helmet, I scare myself.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-30-20, 02:39 PM
Terex

Thanks for the props. Take the plunge. You may want to cruise the 33 racing forum training section. There are several posts about Zwift and the setup guys are using. I do not have a smart trainer but it seems like smart trainer have a much better road feel and may make indoor cycling better.

I am riding a lot outdoors. What else is there to do? However, tomorrow I get my hair cut. Every time I take off my helmet, I scare myself.
I'll check it out. The back wheel on my favorite road bike is shot, so hooking that one up to a dedicated trainer makes sense for me. One of our kids moved north of Denver, so I may get on the road up there sometimes. One of the kids laughed at my hair on a video chat yesterday, so I guess it's time for a "trim". I rode my spin bike for an hour this morning watching a re-run of world championships from last year. Enjoy your rides and stay safe.
Old 02-15-21, 08:14 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
After about eleven years off the bike (with the odd boys weekend away with the MTB) and turning 50, I decided to start and get fitter (and lighter) but with out changing too much of my lifestyle (wouldn't want to be too miserable all at once) I'm into my third month of riding, all of it has been on a smart trainer via RGT Cycling. I've shed some pounds, down from 264lbs to 198lbs but I know I will never get back to my pervious race weight of 125lbs. Since mid January I have been riding six days a week, an hour a day during the week and 2hrs on the weekends with my rest day being Wednesday. I've increased my V02 to 46 and my Watts/kg is sitting around 3.2, I hope to improve both of them in the next few months. I've not set myself any targets or goals, just to get to a fitness level that I'm happy with and it'll be interesting to see what effect the smart riding will have when I venture outside on to real roads. One coach said to me that it takes about 100hrs for your legs to stop hurting, I hope he is right.
Old 02-15-21, 11:55 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by itsnevertoolate
I'm 58 years old and have been riding 2-3 times a week (approx 50 - 70mi per week) for 1 year. Prior to that I walked 2-3 miles a day for approximately 1 year. It is taking much longer than I expected to become bike fit (climbing ability and endurance) and would welcome any input or suggestions from anyone that has had a similar experience given age and effort.
This is what I tell all the folks just starting out. Keep a LOG. Whether it be a paper log, Excel sheet or Strava, keep a log of your rides. If paper or Excel, track your distance and time. Strava will do this for you as well as Garmin. Invest in a bike computer so you won't have to do a hand log but those of us remember the days when the bike computer only gave time, distance and speed as so I had to keep a physical log.

I tell new people to just ride and in a few months, go back and look at your early rides and do a comparison. You will be surprised to say the least. Cycling fitness is hard to gauge without data. You probably feel like you aren't gaining much at all when in fact you probably couldn't manage 15 miles on those early rides. You will know more when you can do 35 plus and not be blown up for the rest of the day.

I liken this to working out with weights. You keep a log because in 6 months you can look back and see you were lifting 'x' for so many reps and now you are way beyond that. I always does not show.

The second thing I tell new riders is that you have to ride an event. Look around for an event ride and put a stake in the ground and train so you can do that ride. Motivation really works. I find I do a lot more riding when there is a charity ride coming up that I want to ride in. My rule of thumb is 10X the actual distance of the event ride in prep work. So, if you plan to do a metric century that is 65 miles, you will need at least 650 miles of training rides under your belt. 3 week out from the event you should do a 45-50 miler and that will tell you if you are ready or not. The week leading up to the event will not get you in any better shape so you need to be around 50 miles 3 weeks prior.

So, plan for an event. That will help greatly in your fitness and then keep track of your stats. Nothing like looking back 6 months and see where you were on your favorite route and now you are doing the same route quicker.

In the long run though, as others have said, you never really get there. As LeMond said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster."

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 02-15-21, 02:00 PM
itsnevertoolate

Bikes: 2008 OCR 1; 2012 Giant Defy Advanced 2; 2014 Giant Propel Advanced SL1

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
This is what I tell all the folks just starting out. Keep a LOG. Whether it be a paper log, Excel sheet or Strava, keep a log of your rides. If paper or Excel, track your distance and time. Strava will do this for you as well as Garmin. Invest in a bike computer so you won't have to do a hand log but those of us remember the days when the bike computer only gave time, distance and speed as so I had to keep a physical log.

I tell new people to just ride and in a few months, go back and look at your early rides and do a comparison. You will be surprised to say the least. Cycling fitness is hard to gauge without data. You probably feel like you aren't gaining much at all when in fact you probably couldn't manage 15 miles on those early rides. You will know more when you can do 35 plus and not be blown up for the rest of the day.

I liken this to working out with weights. You keep a log because in 6 months you can look back and see you were lifting 'x' for so many reps and now you are way beyond that. I always does not show.

The second thing I tell new riders is that you have to ride an event. Look around for an event ride and put a stake in the ground and train so you can do that ride. Motivation really works. I find I do a lot more riding when there is a charity ride coming up that I want to ride in. My rule of thumb is 10X the actual distance of the event ride in prep work. So, if you plan to do a metric century that is 65 miles, you will need at least 650 miles of training rides under your belt. 3 week out from the event you should do a 45-50 miler and that will tell you if you are ready or not. The week leading up to the event will not get you in any better shape so you need to be around 50 miles 3 weeks prior.

So, plan for an event. That will help greatly in your fitness and then keep track of your stats. Nothing like looking back 6 months and see where you were on your favorite route and now you are doing the same route quicker.

In the long run though, as others have said, you never really get there. As LeMond said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster."

john
I'm now 69 and have gotten quite a bit faster... it took awhile but persistence works.
Old 02-18-21, 06:15 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
I'm now 69 and have gotten quite a bit faster... it took awhile but persistence works.
+1,000

Coming back to answer one's own 11yo newbie question.
Old 02-27-21, 09:13 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
I had one hell of a workout this past week. Totally spent after hanging this wallpaper. My job keeps me in shape for riding... and visa versa. 63 yr old paper hanger...in demand more than ever.

Old 02-27-21, 10:02 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I started riding at 58 - almost 12 years ago - and I am still working at it, as I would guess most of us are.

50-70 miles per week is not a lot of riding. Adequate, but not a lot.

I guess it depends upon one's goals. When I started at 58, I had a goal of "Riding the Rockies" in 3.5 months - over 350 miles of Colorado passes in a week's tour. So, I set myself a very intensive training program. I met my goal.

I think having a very specific goal, such as riding a century (100 miles in a day) is a prompt for more intensive training, which will lead very rapidly to being better "bike fit."

Also, a formal training program would be helpful. There are books - Joe Friel, Cycling After 50, and others will have more formal training programs and advice.

Good luck, but mostly, have fun.
I agree with all of this. I have to put events on the calendar and TRAIN for them in order to progress. I don't enjoy just "going for a ride", I'm generally working towards something. Well I'll take something back, I do enjoy "going for a ride" if I'm commuting to work a few times a week.
Old 03-04-21, 04:14 PM
Terex

I ended up getting a Wahoo Kicker Core and really enjoy getting back into riding on Zwift. I also bought an electric hair trimmer so I only scare the grandkids now. I hope.
Old 03-15-21, 04:32 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 484 Posts
T
I find I reach MHR quite quickly with effort and seem to be limited by heart rate and lack of oxygen albeit they are both getting better.... am interested in the schedule if available...
How are your estimating your MHR? Reaching it quickly suggests to me that you are using the incorrect old wives' tale 220 - age method. That formula has been thoroughly debunked as irrelevant to older folks and vastly underestimates true MHR. There are a number of different methods for properly determining MHR. Probably the most common and easiest to implement reliable method is to do an on-the-bike test (with an HR monitor) where after warming up you ride up a moderate incline, progressively increasing your speed and energy output (and HR) at approximately 1 minute intervals until you become completely unable to increase further. Your highest measured HR should be at or slightly below your MHR. The problem with using the 220 - age formula and thereby underestimating MHR is that when basing your zones on that number you aren't riding hard enough and therefore won't receive the benefits of a proper training regimen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.