Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on bike racks with rental cars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 05:20 PM
despierta

Bikes: Him: Specialized Hard Rock Me: Mongoose Montana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I apologize in advance for making a new thread for this, but I did search forums for this info first without finding much info.

My SO and I are new to bike riding (as adults anyway) and we are going to the Oregon Coast next week for vacation. We plan to rent a car for the trip, and we want to take the bikes. I am close to purchasing a Thule 961XT Speedway for 2 bikes as it's rated a fit for our car, and I noted that it is rated a fit for the two types of cars that the rental agency would most likely give us.

Are there any steps I can take to avoid scratching the rental car? I did see someone mention they put painters' tape on their car where the clamps go and they haven't smudged up their finish. What do you think of this? Do you think it's a bad idea to put the racks on the rental? The problem is that my car is in need of some major repair and is not trustworthy for a 200 mile trip and back.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-19-09, 06:32 PM
joshandlauri
Got another new bike

Bikes: pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have that bike rack and its been on and off the car 100 times, no damage or scratching. to be safe if you want you could always put foam strip (like the kind used around window ac units), where the contact point are.
Old 06-19-09, 07:41 PM
Big Pete

Bikes: GT MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pay a little mor eand rent a mini van and put them inside, all vans have fold and go seating that way if you want to stop in some obscure place you will noyt be worried that the locals are riding away on your bikes! Have a nice trip!
Old 06-20-09, 04:21 PM
trl19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have rented cars many times - the last one through "Enterprise" - and for a small extra charge, the company will rent with the vehicle things such as bike racks, child seats, etc.
Old 07-02-09, 10:11 PM
despierta

Bikes: Him: Specialized Hard Rock Me: Mongoose Montana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback! We did purchase the Thule rack and had no problems with the rental car. We had checked with all of the rental car agencies and none had cars with bike racks, so this was our next best option. We had a great trip and I did my first 10 mile ride while we were there - someday my SO won't have to do all the fun rides alone! Thanks again to all!