Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How big is your desire to get your bike "catalog correct"?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How big is your desire to get your bike "catalog correct"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 12:03 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I always wanted to have a muscle car... and in the early 1990's I purchased a 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang. I did everything wrong in the purchase, buying a car that wasn't anything special, that had too many things wrong with it. At that time, I would say that the majority of people into muscle cars believed that the only "right" thing to do was to bring the car back the state it was in when it hit the show room floor. And to do something like that with my "not that really special" Mustang would mean pouring more money into it than I would ever be able to get out of it. The saving grace to my story surrounding the car was that I was able to drive it most days to work, for probably 3 or so years, pay lower taxes and fees on it than a new car, and sell it for 15 dollars less than my original purchase price. The vintage bicycle world, I'm glad to say, and I'm glad to see with most of the posts, doesn't really follow those same guidelines (I'm not really sure the vintage car world does so much now either). Probably only a handful of bicycles should warrant the "all original" treatment, as few were even "all original" from the very origins. And, in a way, it makes riding a vintage bicycle less stressful, than say, driving that car that's been restored to near factory specs.
Old 05-08-16, 12:39 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
@OldsCOOL That receipt looks like it was from Bike Warehouse as well...
Yes, in Middletown, Ohio.
Old 05-08-16, 05:25 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Yes, in Middletown, Ohio.
IIRC,they were in Youngstown, OH
Old 05-08-16, 05:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

IIRC,they were in Youngstown, OH
You might be right though this one was 215 Main St, New Middletown, Ohio 44442. Love this old stuff.
Old 05-08-16, 06:04 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'd REALLY like to get a "Catalogue Correct" steel aero frameset to put my vintage Shimano Dura Ace AX groupset on. in the meantime i had a framebuilder add the brazeons needed to run my Dura Ace AX stuff on a MIELE Columbus SL frameset. One day that aero tubing frameset will show up and if I'm really lucky it'll be a ta price I can afford.

Colour me weird if you like but I've always loved the shimano Dura Ace AX groupset's look and performance and I'm immensely sorry that i sold my Velo Sport aero frameset with complete Dura Ace AX groupset back in 1988.

The long search continues.

Cheers
Old 05-08-16, 06:18 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
You might be right though this one was 215 Main St, New Middletown, Ohio 44442. Love this old stuff.
Middletown is about halfway between Cinci and Dayton in SW Ohio. NEW Middletown is in the Youngstown area in NE Ohio.
Old 05-08-16, 06:38 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts

close enough for me
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 05-08-16, 06:40 PM
OldsCOOL

Middletown is about halfway between Cinci and Dayton in SW Ohio. NEW Middletown is in the Youngstown area in NE Ohio.
It's all the same to me.
Old 05-09-16, 06:55 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Which one has the Pumpkin Festival? Or is that Centerville? Maybe Circleville?

Middletown
New Middletown
Centerville
I'm so confused....
Old 05-09-16, 07:09 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

I'm so confused....
" Centerville
A real nice place to raise your kids up
Centerville
It's really neat!

Churches
Churches
And liquor stores"

-Frank Zappa
Old 05-09-16, 07:13 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

Middletown
New Middletown
Centerville
I'm so confused....
Pumpkin Festival was Circleville - which is some 25 miles due south of Columbus. Columbus is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the State. both E-W and N-S. Circleville is the optional 'breakfast' rest stop of TOSRV on Saturday... Been There, Ridden That, got the T-shirt (and patches...)
Old 05-09-16, 07:27 PM
carbomb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bikes that come to me with all their original equipment tend to stay that way. I like the idea of the bike being a little snapshot of an earlier time. If I got something iconic or exceedingly old I'd want to make it period correct probably. Catalog correct sounds like a bit of a stretch to me if it isn't already. If it were like 1 or 2 components off maybe I'd consider hunting those parts down.

However, most of my bikes start off as a frameset only purchases and I don't really care what components go on them so long as they look good to and ride well according to me.
Old 05-09-16, 07:44 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Mehhhh.....
I don't think most manufacturers put the best stuff on their bikes out of the factory, as they are always built to a particular price point. Especially most mid-level models, that can use some modding up in most cases, straight out of the dealer's showrooms....,to get the best out of them. Even top line bikes are limited to what the manufacturers contract to, so unless you were buying a bare frameset, you are stuck to what came with the bikes.
For this reason, I'd rather go just period correct than catalogue correct, and even then I allow for some modern items like tires, brake pads and pedals to make the bike safer and more rideable as it will interface better with things like my mostly modern pairs of bike shoes.

Last edited by Chombi; 05-09-16 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 08:05 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can't have a vintage bike with a straight-from-the-factory look.
I don't own a motor vehicle so, any bike i own may/will be subject to commuting duty.

Would REALLY like to own a mint Raleigh Professional!!

But if i gotta go to work and the beater is broke i'm riding her (full Campy group be damned)

Old 05-10-16, 08:05 AM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Initially, i really wanted my Schwinn High Plains in as close to catalog condition as possible. Most of the components are/were original (except the seat and tires) and generally in great shape.

However, there are/were enough scratches/gouges in the black spider-web paint (which are just not able to be replicated) to realistically maintain the dream of the "catalog" bike.

Sooooooo, having an imperfect (far from perfect!) specimen, i decided to leverage all the best i can from it and upgrade the rest where it makes sense. Powder coating here I come!!!

I do wish i could source a complete set original-ish decals though - that would be awesome to put on a completely re-worked frame and componentry set up.
Old 05-10-16, 10:54 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by norskagent

close enough for me
I always thought that this era Raleigh track bike was sooo cool looking! To be honest, I loved all of the top level Raleigh bikes of that era, which might be why I have two of the models. Nice to see an example of the track bike on the road and looking so good!

How many deviations from factory spec do you think you've got? The rims are the only things that stand out. Any others are pretty subtle.

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-10-16, 10:59 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
It depends. I have an '85 Nishiki mixte and an '87 Miyata mixte and they're somewhat updated, but in keeping with the spirit. For example I used Paul Thumbies to move the downtube indexed shifter from the Miyata and put on VO Porteur bars. It's a lot more functional for me that way. Similar with the Nishiki - VO Porteur bars with SunTour barcon shifters to replace stem shifters.

I have a 1972 pristine, all original Raleigh Twenty that I plan to keep original (except tubes/tires and cables - used original housings). I have another one that's been powdercoated and modified, and although it's more functional in some ways (aluminum rims, modern brakes) it has lost it's original charm, IMO.
Old 05-10-16, 11:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
+1 for "it depends." None of my bikes were so special in the beginning to merit being kept anal-retentively original and perfect, if I could even find info on how they were originally equipped. So I've felt pretty free to change parts as needed or desired.

That said, I really dig seeing really nice, original bikes, or those where the BF owner has taken a neglected castaway and lovingly repainted it and found all the right parts. Always love it when @ScottRyder posts that one Fuji that's not only catalog-correct, it was the bike in the catalog picture!

And I dig original C&V cars, too. Nothing against those who hot-rod or do other mods, but for me, it's so much cooler to see 50s/60s VWs with original interiors and 36hp/40hp engines. Makes it easier for me to imagine myself in that time period, I suppose.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-10-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 11:22 AM
vancityrider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
On some bikes, yes.

On others, no.
Agreed. On some I want it to be 100% on others, hey as long as they are functional I'm happy
Old 05-10-16, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Zilch. Zip, Nana Nyet.
Old 05-10-16, 11:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The question is if you would have bought bike "x" when it was brand new, would you have kept it completely original? I don't care about catalog correct, period correct with parts I would have bought for it back then is what I care about.
Old 05-10-16, 02:05 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I always thought that this era Raleigh track bike was sooo cool looking! To be honest, I loved all of the top level Raleigh bikes of that era, which might be why I have two of the models. Nice to see an example of the track bike on the road and looking so good!

How many deviations from factory spec do you think you've got? The rims are the only things that stand out. Any others are pretty subtle.

Steve in Peoria
everything is pretty spec except for the wheels and bars and stem. The rims are modern clinchers but the hubs are campy high flange as per spec. The catalog has GB bars w/ ttt stem, mine has a cinelli road stem and bars. I also have an ambrosio stem w/ cinelli track bars but I only use them if I am showing the bike (which is rare).
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 05-10-16, 03:01 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That said, I really dig seeing really nice, original bikes, or those where the BF owner has taken a neglected castaway and lovingly repainted it and found all the right parts. Always love it when @ScottRyder posts that one Fuji that's not only catalog-correct, it was the bike in the catalog picture!
I wish it had been a Fuji ! Alas, it was my 1976 Austro-Daimler Ultima Superleicht .. which now has been sold and hangs in the A-D boardroom in Maine. I guess I need to post those photos again.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 05-10-16, 03:41 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I find the biggest challenge is getting period correct air in the tires.
When they rebuilt the P-38 Lightning they pulled out of the pack ice in Greenland, they put some of the original air into the tires.

After 10 years of hard labor they managed to salvage 80% of the original aircraft. On October 26, 2002, Glacier Girl taxied down the Middlesboro, Kentucky runway... with a little of that original 1942 air back in her tires... and took flight for the first time in 60 years.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-10-16, 08:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder
I wish it had been a Fuji ! Alas, it was my 1976 Austro-Daimler Ultima Superleicht
D'oh! Misremembered it slightly.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.