Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Campione D'Italia 1986. Worth? Lots of pics.

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 06:33 PM
loubikes

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, Bianchi Brava, Bianchi Mondiale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I was hoping some folks could weigh-in on an appropriate price! A friend is looking at buying it for $200-$250.
  • The original stem comes with it
  • The logo/paint job on the top bar seems a little crummy(see up-close pic of top-bar logo)
  • The spokes have some rust on them, near the rims.
Any thoughts will be appreciated! Hoping @Bianchigirll might give an assessment!

Old 02-16-19, 02:43 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
It's a newer bike than 86. The neglected appearance says to me procede with caution.
Old 02-16-19, 06:57 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
+1, the estimate is off by about a decade. I'd place this circa 1995. The pictures do not show show the mechanical condition well and the cosmetic condition is sub par. On top of that, it's not celeste. Even in good ready to ride condition, these are only $250-$300 bicycles.
Old 02-16-19, 07:59 AM
loubikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
It's a newer bike than 86.
Good to know

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
he neglected appearance says to me procede with caution.
​​​​​​​Ok. When you say "neglect" are you referencing something other than the paint job?
Old 02-16-19, 08:24 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I agree it certainly isn't an '86 model. It appears to be a '95 but perhaps using an early '96 frameset since there seems to be a disparity there.

The most important question is does it fit? The seat position and stem may indicate it is too small for the current rider/owner. It is hard to tell if present condition is from abuse or simple neglect. The large amount of silver on the rear rim seems to indicate a large amount of use, but could also point to rim in need of replacement carefully. I would not be surprised to find a severely stretched chain on this bike necessitating a change of the cassette as well the chain. Have you seen this? How does the BB feel?

According to bikepedia the MSRP for these was around $920 and it is almost 25yo at this point. Considering this bike certainly needs a good overhaul I would ask a $100 discount for that, since I can do the work. Will it need new tires? The aforementioned chain? cassette? what about the rear rim?

There is nothing special about this model and I personally wouldn't be interested in paying more than $200 for this example considering the work it needs.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-16-19, 08:28 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I agree it certainly isn't an '86 model. It appears to be a '95 but perhaps using an early '96 frameset since there seems to be a disparity there.

The most important question is does it fit? The seat position and stem may indicate it is too small for the current rider/owner. It is hard to tell if present condition is from abuse or simple neglect. The large amount of silver on the rear rim seems to indicate a large amount of use, but could also point to rim in need of replacement carefully. I would not be surprised to find a severely stretched chain on this bike necessitating a change of the cassette as well the chain. Have you seen this? How does the BB feel?

According to bikepedia the MSRP for these was around $920 and it is almost 25yo at this point. Considering this bike certainly needs a good overhaul I would ask a $100 discount for that, since I can do the work. Will it need new tires? The aforementioned chain? cassette? what about the rear rim?

There is nothing special about this model and I personally wouldn't be interested in paying more than $200 for this example considering the work it needs.
On the positive view, is not the campy athena group set almost worth that much alone, assuming nice working condition?
Old 02-16-19, 08:54 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
On the positive view, is not the campy athena group set almost worth that much alone, assuming nice working condition?
Just an Athena RD; the rest is Mirage - totally functional, but not the best.
Old 02-16-19, 09:12 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by loubikes
Good to know

Ok. When you say "neglect" are you referencing something other than the paint job?
Yes. To some people a bike is just well a bike. The just don't think about wiping the frame down occasionally or that the bike need regular preventative maintenance and occasionally things like chains and brake pads replaced.

Originally Posted by joesch
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Just an Athena RD; the rest is Mirage - totally functional, but not the best.
OH yeah buying this "for the group" is not a good idea.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-16-19, 01:33 PM
loubikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all. This was very helpful. He ended up getting it for $150.
Old 02-16-19, 03:17 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Good deal! It is certainly to be a good rider after a good overhaul and cleaning.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk