Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

HRM Strap for Clyde?

Old 01-28-19, 01:00 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
HRM Strap for Clyde?

So, over Christmas, I picked up a Lezyne GPS/Speed/Cadence/HRM combo at a great price. Here's my issue...the HRM strap is way too small. Even with the adjuster slid out all the way, it's still digging uncomfortably under the arms and a bit in front as well.

I guess I'm what you would call "barrel-chested"...48"-50" chest measurement. Anyone know of a HRM strap that might fit better? Or a different kind of wearable HRM...not interested in watch-type, though.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 01-28-19, 01:28 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I wear this Garmin HRM with regular strap and it pairs fine with my Lezyne SuperGPS. I have a 46" chest and find the HRM to be comfortable. On a ride, I forget it's there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-28-19, 03:24 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I also use the garmin premium strap unit. I have a 54" chest and its got some room to go so you will be fine with it. Its very comfortable, heck I even forget to take it off after a long ride now and then.
Old 01-28-19, 04:16 PM
MiPeGr

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the second recco on the Garmin chest strap.

This is where I think I made a mistake in my research though...I didn't realize (or failed to notice) that the Lezyne head unit I got was BT only, not ANT. It looks like the Garmin HRM is ANT only.

Not the biggest problem...I'm not hard-core...so I don't anticipate needing the HRM when riding outdoors...so as long as it pairs to my phone or tablet for Zwift, et al it should be OK. Just wish I had been a little more careful when shopping...outside the return window now
Old 01-28-19, 08:20 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MiPeGr
Thanks for the second recco on the Garmin chest strap.

This is where I think I made a mistake in my research though...I didn't realize (or failed to notice) that the Lezyne head unit I got was BT only, not ANT. It looks like the Garmin HRM is ANT only.

Not the biggest problem...I'm not hard-core...so I don't anticipate needing the HRM when riding outdoors...so as long as it pairs to my phone or tablet for Zwift, et al it should be OK. Just wish I had been a little more careful when shopping...outside the return window now

I’ve seem good feedback on the Scorsche armband. Not sure if that counts as the ‘wristwatch ‘ since it goes around the upper forearm.

I admit it I am a fan of an HRM outside though...
Old 01-28-19, 08:25 PM
MiPeGr

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I'm OK with an armband...I'm sure its priced similar to chest strap monitors.

The watch-type smart watches/fitness monitors seem $$$ and I don't really like having something on my wrist when I'm active.

Will look up the Scosche.
Old 01-29-19, 11:28 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So, over Christmas, I picked up a Lezyne GPS/Speed/Cadence/HRM combo at a great price. Here's my issue...the HRM strap is way too small. Even with the adjuster slid out all the way, it's still digging uncomfortably under the arms and a bit in front as well.

I guess I'm what you would call "barrel-chested"...48"-50" chest measurement. Anyone know of a HRM strap that might fit better? Or a different kind of wearable HRM...not interested in watch-type, though.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I'm a bit barrel chested too ... and I swear by my Wahoo Tickr ...

That said ... you are wearing your HRM below your chest, correct? You don't want it up across your chest.
Old 01-29-19, 01:13 PM
MiPeGr

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
That said ... you are wearing your HRM below your chest, correct? You don't want it up across your chest.
Funny you should mention that...I assumed that it should be worn higher, and the diagram with the Lezyne shows the strap being worn up under the armpits. Some googling revealed that it should be worn lower. The strap, however, is still too tight.

I found a couple of replacement/aftermarket straps on Amazon (strap only...existing HRM will snap on). I ordered a couple of those and will post results based on what I find.
Old 01-29-19, 01:23 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Often times there are extension straps that can be purchased seperately. Considering the wide desire for people "to get in shape" & the wide variety of people shapes, I don't see how a company could overlook such a thing.

You could look at the companies webshop or, Amazon. If they don't make one, surely somebody does.

FWIW: I seem to remember my wifes Forerunner had an extender strap included in the box. Maybe she was lucky though.
Old 01-29-19, 04:11 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Funny you should mention that...I assumed that it should be worn higher, and the diagram with the Lezyne shows the strap being worn up under the armpits. Some googling revealed that it should be worn lower. The strap, however, is still too tight.

I found a couple of replacement/aftermarket straps on Amazon (strap only...existing HRM will snap on). I ordered a couple of those and will post results based on what I find.
Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask

Hope one of the replacements work out for you
Old 02-03-19, 06:10 AM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I bought a replacement on Amazon for <$10 and so far it works great. 46” chest
Old 02-24-19, 08:52 AM
lynch.cr

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2c, 2015 Niner BSB 9 RDO, 2006 Scott Speedster S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m in the same boat as you. Wahoo makes an XL strap for their Tickr HRM.

Tickr Strap XL
Old 02-24-19, 01:03 PM
MiPeGr

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lynch.cr
I’m in the same boat as you. Wahoo makes an XL strap for their Tickr HRM.

Tickr Strap XL
Yeah...I'm sure that one will work as well, I didn't find that one until after I had found one from Amazon.

Here are the ones I bought and tried from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2TKX8X
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RIAKSGQ
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2TF2Y8

All 3 had no problems attaching the HR monitor (correct size snaps) and were not fussy about picking up heart rate, just a smear of water on each pad was sufficient. Obviously, I didn't do long-term testing on the ones I returned, but they all passed a basic functionality test.

The first one..It listed the max elastic stretch at 59" and the max wearing size at 47", so I thought I would be good...not stressing it to the maximum or anything. In the end, it was about the same physical length un-stretched as the stock Lezyne strap that I started with, and it was just about as tight when worn. But the fabric itself is a soft-touch fabric, so maybe a little more comfortable for those it fits. I could take or leave the colors, but maybe that's important to everyone who works out shirtless like in the marketing materials for the HRM's. I returned this one.

The second one, in response to a user question "What is the largest chest measurement it will fit?" a user reply was "Easily 50 inches". This seems to be an overstatement. It was no longer than the Lezyne strap,either, and about the same amount of tightness when I wear it. I also don't like the open-ended design (like the Tickr strap above). I returned this one as well.

The last one was the one I decided to keep. It comes it 3 sizes and I got the largest XXXL (42" to 77"). It fits great, with plenty of room to spare. I can wear it so that it's just tight enough to stay in place during rides, but not feel like it's squeezing me. And because the material is under less tension, it is less likely to fold over on itself, which can also be uncomfortable. While I was waiting for these to arrive, I was using the Lezyne strap, I definitely noticed when it would fold over on itself. I'm happy with this purchase. I wonder if the Med-XXL (28"-52") would have been big enough, but I'm not curious enough to order it and find out.

Hope this helps someone else down the line.
Old 02-26-19, 04:24 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a 48" chest presently. I've lost some weight recently. This strap works well with my Wahoo Tickr. I've worn it all day more than once. I do NOT put out the wattage many of you do... But I certainly work to 85 to 100% heart rate. My cardiologist is ok with that now that I have lost a significant amount of weight...
Old 02-26-19, 05:08 PM
MiPeGr

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I'm glad you found one that works for you. My only concern about that style of strap is that it puts more wear on the HRM connectors since you snap/unsnap at least one every time you use it, and that it puts more sideways force on the connectors, which could lead to reliability problems later on. The ones I got have a non-elastic backing that spans the snap area, so the HRM itself isn't getting pulled in a tug-o-war between the 2 sides.
Old 04-12-19, 02:18 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
I bought a apple watch and it is bang on with my garmin chest strap. When I take a bike with no garmin mount I only use the watch.