Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Roadbikes changing value?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Roadbikes changing value?

Old 01-18-20, 08:59 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
You can't really force something to be investment-worthy, which is why the dumps of Thunder Bay (among many other places) seem to have produced one man's treasure.

A member just found an Alex Singer at a dumpster.

If you look in the garbage, you might find interesting things. You probably won't find gold bars, or rare jewels.

If collector Dan (generic name) won't sell his vintage Italian racer for less than $4,000 (or 3k, or 2k, etc.) because it would be insulting, then Dan's prized possession could very well end up out on the front lawn with a $20 tag on it, or even in the back of a scrap truck.
Old 01-18-20, 09:20 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 208 Posts
for me, a classic or vintage is not so much about it's monetary or resale value, but how i feel when i ride. what's going on in my head space has a lot to do with my riding power, and feeling that classic steed moving down the road gets me energized more that some modern techno cookie cutter generic bike that doesn't seem like something with it's own vibe. i love old machinery like the engine room of an old ocean liner, with brass gears and gizmos extruding everywhere throbbing with power. internal cables and smooth aero-ness doesn't appeal to me.
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 01-18-20, 09:20 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,711 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
t a loss of investment or significant decreased value.
imho, conflating a hobby and an investment will only lead to empty pockets and sorrow whereas a hobby will only lead to empty pockets and joy.
Old 01-18-20, 10:19 AM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You have the new generation coming up who thinks a road tire smaller than 50mm is too small and "beats them up". The thought of riding a 23-25 makes them cringe in pain lol. And a 39-42T small ring scares them. So vintage bikes probably aren't their thing.
yes! every buyer wants to know 'what's the biggest tire that will fit?' and can't believe I don't have anything larger than a 25 to test fit. Remember those ads showing how cool the tires were because they were no wider than a dime?
Old 01-18-20, 12:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I wonder if someone had that chainstay ground back to clear a modern hub/cassette. Richard is well known for advocating using a lot of filler at that joint. In fact, it looks like that is past the end of the dropout

I would say the number of people that are collecting bikes like this has been shrinking fast. I'm not really interested in them any more. Have thought about building a racing bike up, but it's not worth the room it would take up in the garage.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-18-20, 12:59 PM
Iowa10Speed
Iowa10Speed

Bikes: 87 Schwinn Prologue, 85 Trek 720, 86 Panasonic Pro Touring, 75 Schwinn Voyageur II ("Voyareo"). projects: 98 Lemond Zurich, 81 Raleigh Competition GS, 50 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
We like to tinker with bikes, unlike most bike buyers. The general public just wants something simple that works every time they ride. No different than cars. Older ones are interesting head-turners, but I don't want to fix them. I chose a recent model. It worked when I bought it. It's always worked since then.

In Iowa, prices are dropping but I see fewer interesting bikes. Even prices of newer bikes are drifting lower. I watch prices of Trek 620's and 720's on eBay. Prices are dropping there too.

I only buy bikes for myself or family. I don't care if they end up worth a little less than I put into it. I keep original whenever possible. Preserve the personality of the era. I like picking a bike that fits my mood for the day. I love downshifters. I like scanning the road ahead to plan my next half-step plus granny shift. I like feeling cable tension and listening for perfect shifts. But when the vast majority of riders don't want the same, I understand. Their choices based on their needs make perfect sense.
Old 01-18-20, 01:46 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
This is my view of recent history, thru the biased eyes and brain of a vintage 10-speed enthusiast: A certain group of young, coffee loving, facial hair wearing, twenty somethings, started modifying vintage 10-speed bicycles to single speed bicycles. The single speed bicycle become a touchstone in their perception of what set their culture apart from others, along with plaid shirts, pickles, facial piercings, and typewriters... it flamed new interests into vintage 10-speed bicycles. It created a market for all things 10-speed and steel. Eventually, as is the way with all fads, manufacturers took notice, and filled the market with something they could make money on, and to the eyes of most wannabes, a bicycle that fit the look, that was close enough. All the look with none of the hassles that come from old things. Fads, cultures, trends, priorities... they all shall pass. Then, now, and always. And thus, vintage steel bicycle frames, breathed their last air of popularity.
Old 01-18-20, 02:45 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
No matter what the market does, my rule is always, "buy high and sell low", or at least that's how it always seems. Works for cars, bikes, everything except houses, so far.
I always end up overpaying for everything-

When I look at people's collections, you realize how this hobby is about opportunity. There's people who stumble into dream bikes for next to nothing... There's people that will pass on dream bikes or dream components at fair prices because the seller won't accept a cheapskate price offer...

I figure what things are worth to me, and what things are selling for and where does that meet... I've got the bikes I want, I've worked hard and been lucky to be able to find and afford them.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 01-18-20, 03:07 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
...empty pockets and joy.
Sounds like a chorus line in a Christmas carol.
Old 01-18-20, 03:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
The clock is ticking, not getting any younger.

I don't have time to wait for what I want, if it comes along, I have the money and its my size, I buy it, usually for too much.

I weigh the facts of reality, when will you see another, when did you see one last, cost to some degree and fit/size.

If I waited for cheap prices I would not have the majority of my collection yet so time is money, most of it well spent.
Old 01-18-20, 03:09 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy

When I look at people's collections, you realize how this hobby is about opportunity. There's people who stumble into dream bikes for next to nothing... There's people that will pass on dream bikes or dream components at fair prices because the seller won't accept a cheapskate price offer...

I figure what things are worth to me, and what things are selling for and where does that meet... I've got the bikes I want, I've worked hard and been lucky to be able to find and afford them.
decided to get my self a Christmas gift since all of my kids live by the modern rule of "it's better to receive than to give...", and it never occurred to me to visit my LBS and shop for something new. the 1st instinct was to spend (probably) too much on a pristine '74 Moto Grand Record. C'est la Vie
Old 01-18-20, 03:24 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
The only thing that will preserve C&V values is some sort of "black swan" event such as hipsters deciding that old, steel road bikes are cool, similar to what happened during the fixed-gear craze.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 01-18-20, 03:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts
In my dotage (I turn 60 this year), I find myself gravitating toward bikes I really like to ride, can ride all day or on a multi-day tour, and have relatively current technology (I’m a big fan of Shimergo drivetrains with Campy ergo brifters and Shimano mechs). I also like fatter, high quality tires. That all means I ride the C&V members of the fleet less and less unless they’ve been retrofitted with modern components and are usually 650b conversions (to get wider tires). In fact, my ride today was on my early birthday present, and I look forward to some serious bike-packing trips on it this summer.

Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-18-20, 03:47 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
In my dotage (I turn 60 this year), I find myself gravitating toward bikes I really like to ride, can ride all day or on a multi-day tour, and have relatively current technology (I’m a big fan of Shimergo drivetrains with Campy ergo brifters and Shimano mechs). I also like fatter, high quality tires. That all means I ride the C&V members of the fleet less and less unless they’ve been retrofitted with modern components and are usually 650b conversions (to get wider tires). In fact, my ride today was on my early birthday present, and I look forward to some serious bike-packing trips on it this summer.

cool build, cool color
Old 01-18-20, 04:20 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Please let it slide. More fun per over valued currency, worldwide.

snickering
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 01-18-20, 04:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
The only thing that will preserve C&V values is some sort of "black swan" event such as hipsters deciding that old, steel road bikes are cool, similar to what happened during the fixed-gear craze.
You mean like L'Eroica and Cino? Because they don't seem to be helping

I won't feel too bad if I take a bit of a bath when I move two bikes this year. The upside is I won't feel like a hoarder, keeping bikes I don't ride, and I'll be able to concentrate on those I do use in their intended manner. Not to mention somebody out there will put them to use

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-18-20, 05:07 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
DD
Nope - preaching to the choir.

It would have to be something that appeals to the younger generations.

For example, kids who were born well after the "death" of the LP can't seem to get enough "vinyls" these days.

They would need to be sold on the idea that vintage bikes are fun and cool.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 01-18-20, 05:16 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes

They would need to be sold on the idea that vintage bikes are fun and cool.
They are!
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 01-18-20, 05:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
imho, conflating a hobby and an investment will only lead to empty pockets and sorrow whereas a hobby will only lead to empty pockets and joy.
...word. This is the thinking behind my collection of British Royal Family commemorative plates.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 01-18-20, 05:26 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy

That's me, pretty much. I saw a gold Peugeot PR10 that I was crazy about, the guy wouldn't deal, so I overpaid, but its mine now. I over restored a lowly Super Course, but it's one of my favorite rides. I guess I over paid, but every $$$ was worth it to me. I've had a '64 Legnano Roma since new. It's probably my most valuable bike, but I've had it so long that it doesn't feel like an investment, just a great ride. Last year I lucked into a $50 barnfind Legnano Gran Premio, a patina bike, but it rides great. I buy bikes to ride, and rarely give value a thought. I'm always sad to see nice bikes parted out and sold for parts because there are more $$$ to be had that way. I don't see bikes as a commodity, but as something to buy when you can, enjoy, and ride, ride, ride. In truth, I've only sold one bike in 50+ years of riding (pretty much broke even). Just not my thing.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 01-18-20, 05:27 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
I’m working on my 15 year old son to plant the idea but it ain’t happening.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 01-18-20, 05:31 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

I won't feel too bad if I take a bit of a bath when I move two bikes this year. The upside is I won't feel like a hoarder, keeping bikes I don't ride, and I'll be able to concentrate on those I do use in their intended manner. Not to mention somebody out there will put them to use

DD
Bikes you "Don't Ride"? I am not comprehending this statement,
Old 01-18-20, 05:36 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Wileyone
Bikes you "Don't Ride"? I am not comprehending this statement,
You did type that in sarcasm font, right?

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-18-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 05:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I’m working on my 15 year old son to plant the idea but it ain’t happening.
Right? And if it's not happening at that level, the chances are slim they'll pick it up from someplace else. Oh, there will always be young people in any generation who get into the stuff of prior generations, but they'll be few and far between.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-18-20, 05:42 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
C&V bikes are an unusual commodity/hobby because they have an additional ROI because of their inherent usefulness. Most any bike, a Golden Age safety bike/ Brit 3 speed/Confente/Rigid mtn etc will take me round-trip to the supermarket with remarkable efficiency. I find joy in that.
The cost of a bike ride per 'unit of joy' can be ridiculously low, if you want it that way. Collecting bikes should not be about resale, there's too many of them out there that work just fine. Wall hanging is a bit counterintuitive for me but each to their own
Likes For clubman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.