Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant TCR

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2016 Giant TCR

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 05:57 PM
chupster98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome, thank you!

I have the same pin position, from what I've read so far the initial cable setup needs high tension when first secured & a careful eye when setting the high & low screws to set both trim settings .
Old 03-03-17, 09:38 PM
chupster98

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
You can't be Luis! I am Luis. And I have a TCR SL 2, AND im having issues with the trim!

Doppleganger!

Wait Luis .....it gets better.....I also have a TCR SL Rabobank!!!

I'll post a photo once I get out of this 'newbie' status, need 10 posts before I can post anything ...
Old 03-05-17, 08:46 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chupster98
Wait Luis .....it gets better.....I also have a TCR SL Rabobank!!!

I'll post a photo once I get out of this 'newbie' status, need 10 posts before I can post anything ...
All this is probably an omen. I have been replaced... good bye Bike Forums!

Just kidding, it is odd though! You must be a beast on the bike too and very good looking since we have so much in common
Old 03-05-17, 10:30 AM
chupster98

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
All this is probably an omen. I have been replaced... good bye Bike Forums!

Just kidding, it is odd though! You must be a beast on the bike too and very good looking since we have so much in common
The good looking part ....absolutely!!!...the beast on the bike part.... not so much after this winter!!!!
Old 03-05-17, 11:10 AM
chupster98

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome, thank you!

I have the same pin position, from what I've read so far the initial cable setup needs high tension when first secured & a careful eye when setting the high & low screws to set both trim settings .
I've given up on adjusting this derailleur, I got it to trim properly - all 4 trim stops on the large ring & all gears, but it rubs on the smallest 3 cogs when on the small ring. I have low trim adjustment on small front & large cog.

This is a good compromise as the small ring & smaller 2 cogs is a combination I don't think will be ever be used.

I'm a bit frustrated as I've always managed to setup my Dura ace 7900 properly & It never rubs across the full range of gears.

I had to deal with the following issues, check for them as they might be useful if you ever decide to do a full cable change:

Check that the frame internal cable liners are running smooth. My rear derailleur cable liner was snapped in 2 pieces inside the frame. (how was it installed that way I'm not sure)

Make sure you use the proper housing end caps (with the long moulded tips) going into the shifters. The front derailleur cable didn't have one.

I used Shimano polymer coated Dura ace cables & shifting action is now noticeable smoother.

How to replace the frame internal cable liners is a whole different drama....I got it down to a science now, can be done in 20 -30 min ( after I spent a full day trying to figure it out how to do it...) if anybody needs tips, I can give you details on a pm.
Old 01-31-20, 01:48 PM
chupster98

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It only took me 3 years to get my photos updated....here's a couple snaps for the TCR SL fans!

Likes For chupster98:
Old 01-31-20, 02:00 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
My 2020 ASL Disc

Old 02-02-20, 04:49 PM
chupster98

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Nice color!! What’s the weight on yours right now?

I’m curious about a potential future upgrade to discs, but the discs weight is making it hard for me to decide.

I’m a lighter rider & low bike weight is high on my priority list

For reference: the yellow 2016 TCR SL - full DA build- is at 6.65kg & the 2012 Rabo TCR SL - full Ultegra 6800 build - is at 7.27 kg
Old 02-03-20, 09:32 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
I have a blue TCR Pro 0 disc but damn really like the CCC Team paintjob. I looked online and XL sizes for the SL frameset are sold out in the US. Ugh
Old 02-03-20, 09:33 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Nice color!! What’s the weight on yours right now?

I’m curious about a potential future upgrade to discs, but the discs weight is making it hard for me to decide.

I’m a lighter rider & low bike weight is high on my priority list

For reference: the yellow 2016 TCR SL - full DA build- is at 6.65kg & the 2012 Rabo TCR SL - full Ultegra 6800 build - is at 7.27 kg
I'm not sure of the stripped down weight, but with cages, Garmin 520, Garmin Vector 2 pedals, and a full saddlebag (multitool, tube, tire plug kit, CO2/inflator, tire levers) it's around 17.9 pounds. If I had gone DI2, it'd be less than that, but I'm waiting until Ultegra DI2 is 12-speed before I make that jump.
Old 02-04-20, 01:32 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Nice bike!

TCR Adv Pro 0 Disc 2018 here and love it! It's 7.6kg / 16.8lbs if I recall correctly. The only thing missing is hidden wires. Giant should really get up to speed.

I'm sure trying a SL would be love at first sight!

Last edited by eduskator; 02-05-20 at 08:14 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-05-20, 10:44 AM
rower2cyclist

Originally Posted by eduskator
Nice bike!

TCR Adv Pro 0 Disc 2018 here and love it! It's 7.6kg / 16.8lbs if I recall correctly. The only thing missing is hidden wires. Giant should really get up to speed.
You can get a pretty clean look by having a mechanic heat shrink the cables. It's extra money for sure. That's what I did (will post photos later maybe). Out of the box cables rattle and my guy fixed that too. I had no idea how noisy those cables were. Now the cockpit and peripherals are super quiet. You should give it a try.
Old 02-06-20, 10:24 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I don't have any rattle on mine, it's very quiet even if our roads are, for most of them, rough. I'll be waiting for those pics! Definitively interested. Money is never an issue when it comes to spending it on bicycles (don't tell my girlfriend!).
Old 02-10-20, 10:14 AM
rower2cyclist

Here you go:

Originally Posted by eduskator
I don't have any rattle on mine, it's very quiet even if our roads are, for most of them, rough. I'll be waiting for those pics! Definitively interested. Money is never an issue when it comes to spending it on bicycles (don't tell my girlfriend!).