Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB Frame Indentification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 01:40 PM
josh.d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Hello, I recently acquired this vintage MTB Frame and built it up as an all purpose bike mainly to haul my daughter around in a bike trailer.

It's branded Explorer 444 and can't seem to find much info on it. It's 4130 Cro-Mo construction and I figure it's an 80s to mid-90s build by the geometry and paint scheme.

It has fender/rack eyelets, canti mounts, no rear derailleur hanger or front derailleur braze on, and no mounts for DT shifters.

I built it up quickly with spare parts but it rides quite well and I like it for the purpose it serves so I will refine it a little bit down the road with bigger tires and nicer components.

Here are some pics, thanks in advance for any replies.
Likes For josh.d:
Old 03-11-20, 02:54 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
I'd say mid to late 80's. It doesn't have mounts for DT shifters because it would have been specced with a riser bar and thumbshifters. You've done a nice drop bar conversion, so maybe also post a pic of this bike in that thread.

Unfortunately, the brand Explorer is hard to google because it's so generic. Your best bet for more info might be T-Mar showing up. Maybe he'd recognize the formatting of the serial number. P8181514

If you kept the original parts, you might be able to find out the year with the Shimano date code website. Shimano date codes
Likes For Clang:
Old 03-11-20, 03:42 PM
josh.d

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
I'd say mid to late 80's. It doesn't have mounts for DT shifters because it would have been specced with a riser bar and thumbshifters. You've done a nice drop bar conversion, so maybe also post a pic of this bike in that thread.

Unfortunately, the brand Explorer is hard to google because it's so generic. Your best bet for more info might be T-Mar showing up. Maybe he'd recognize the formatting of the serial number. P8181514

If you kept the original parts, you might be able to find out the year with the Shimano date code website. Shimano date codes

Thanks for the reply Clang. Yeah, I figured it was a mid-80s flat bar/thumbie bike originally, just trying to post some specifics on the frame if the pics didn't clearly show the details.

I bought this as a frame only so I'm clueless as to what came on it originally. I wonder what kind of RD setup it used. It's setup with a cheapy claw RD setup (Shimano TY300) currently that works fine but I've found with a claw adapter and the "normal" campy mount derailleurs I had laying around (Shimano LX and 600) it really didn't shift all too well and the wheel alignment with larger 650b tires was troublesome.

@T-Mar, does the serial format look familiar to you at all?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 03-11-20, 03:48 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Nice build! Love the paint fade. So did it come with the claw rd or is there a dropout rd mount?
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 03-11-20, 03:53 PM
josh.d

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Nice build! Love the paint fade. So did it come with the claw rd or is there a dropout rd mount?
Thanks!

No, like I stated in the OP and last post, it was just a frame when I acquired it and it doesn't have a RD mount. I'm using a cheap Tourney RD that was made for claw use until I can find something a bit nicer that works better than the stuff I had laying around when used with a claw adapter.
Likes For josh.d:
Old 03-11-20, 04:01 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Did it include the headset? Maybe there's a component date code there somewhere.

Also, did you happen to see anything stamped on the steerer tube? That would tell you more about the fork than the frame, but they often include mfr. year.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 03-11-20, 04:18 PM
josh.d

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Did it include the headset? Maybe there's a component date code there somewhere.

Also, did you happen to see anything stamped on the steerer tube? That would tell you more about the fork than the frame, but they often include mfr. year.

It did come with the headset. I didn't thoroughly inspect the headset or steerer tube when I had it apart for grease, but that is a great idea to gather some more clues.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-11-20, 06:49 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Without an integral derailleur hanger, and the fact that it's an MTB frame, I'd say it's probably at the lower end of the hierarchy as far as quality of the frame goes. However, it's a fantastic candidate for a touring bike conversion because it has double eylets on the front fork as well as on the rear dropout. that means you could mount a front rack without having to use clamps to hold it to the fork.

It looks like you've done a wonderful job of converting it to a dropbar bike.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-11-20, 08:26 PM
josh.d

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Without an integral derailleur hanger, and the fact that it's an MTB frame, I'd say it's probably at the lower end of the hierarchy as far as quality of the frame goes. However, it's a fantastic candidate for a touring bike conversion because it has double eylets on the front fork as well as on the rear dropout. that means you could mount a front rack without having to use clamps to hold it to the fork.

It looks like you've done a wonderful job of converting it to a dropbar bike.

Cheers
Thank you.

My inquiry is a general curiosity in regards to the origin and manufacturer of the frame.

I agree with your assessment. At best it was probably a middle of the road frame. I fiigure it was most likely an entry level mid-80s MTB/ATB with mid-range components. The fact I can't find any stock photos from a catalog or any photos of a similar frame/make/model has my interest piqued =)

Josh
Old 03-11-20, 09:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by josh.d
Thank you.

My inquiry is a general curiosity in regards to the origin and manufacturer of the frame.

I agree with your assessment. At best it was probably a middle of the road frame. I fiigure it was most likely an entry level mid-80s MTB/ATB with mid-range components. The fact I can't find any stock photos from a catalog or any photos of a similar frame/make/model has my interest piqued =)

Josh
I asked a bicycling business expert on a newsgroup and he has never heard of a brand called Explorer. Interesting. I wonder if Explorer was the model name?

Irregardless; it looks like you'll have a nice touring bike.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-11-20, 10:26 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Peugeot had an "explorer" model MTB, but that does not look like it.. does it feel French?

Likes For jetboy:
Old 03-11-20, 10:44 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I remember that fork dropout from my 85 CyclePro Skyline. I think it came with axle nuts instead of quick releases, and a little tab on the washers fit into that slot above the axles. Lawyer tabs, in a way. My fork dropouts cracked there after about five years of teenage abuse.
Old 03-12-20, 08:30 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Given the P8-prefix my leading candidate would be 1988 manufacture by Pacific Cycles, a Taiwanese manufacturer best known during this era for manufacturing the lower end Lotus models. The TIG construction, Uni-crown fork and fade paint are all consistent with this era. If the OP wants corroboration on the year, they could remove the fork, which is likely a Tange model that would have a date code stamped into the steering column.

The dropouts are stamped, rather than forged, indicating entry level. The presence of the cutouts on the front dropouts for the axle retention washers also suggest entry level. CrMo but no mention of butting suggests plain gauge CrMo tubing and possibly only for the main triangle. My overall impression is a 1988-1989, entry level model.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-12-20, 06:27 PM
josh.d

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Given the P8-prefix my leading candidate would be 1988 manufacture by Pacific Cycles, a Taiwanese manufacturer best known during this era for manufacturing the lower end Lotus models. The TIG construction, Uni-crown fork and fade paint are all consistent with this era. If the OP wants corroboration on the year, they could remove the fork, which is likely a Tange model that would have a date code stamped into the steering column.

The dropouts are stamped, rather than forged, indicating entry level. The presence of the cutouts on the front dropouts for the axle retention washers also suggest entry level. CrMo but no mention of butting suggests plain gauge CrMo tubing and possibly only for the main triangle. My overall impression is a 1988-1989, entry level model.
Thanks for the reply T-Mar. Figured it was entry level given all of the "features" of the frame. Appreciate the insight on the serial.
Old 03-12-20, 07:02 PM
Miele Man

Thanks for the reply T-Mar. Figured it was entry level given all of the "features" of the frame. Appreciate the insight on the serial.
What I find interesting about many Entry Level bikes from the 1980s early 1990s was that many of them whether road or mountain had the double eyelets on the front fork that many higher end bicycles did not have. Those double eyelets sure make attaching a front rack and fender easy without having to use a long bolt to do it.

Cheers
Old 03-19-20, 11:31 AM
josh.d

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Just an update on this frame.

I took the headset apart and closely inspected the steerer tube and didn't find any marking.

I also looked over the HS closely and didn't find any marking there either.

Josh
Old 03-19-20, 12:09 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Just an update on this frame.

I took the headset apart and closely inspected the steerer tube and didn't find any marking.

I also looked over the HS closely and didn't find any marking there either.

Josh
Interesting.
Nearly every MTB frame I've separated had something stamped on the steerer. Usually Tange.
Old 03-19-20, 12:20 PM
josh.d

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Its quite possible any marking has been painted over. The steerer is painted yellow like the frame and fork.

I'll go over it again and take pictures.
Old 03-19-20, 06:50 PM
josh.d

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
No visible markings anywhere, same with the headset.

Excuse the crappy pics: