Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Fenders, frame tape, or both?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-18-20, 07:36 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I realize it's a bit of an open-ended question, but now that things are drying up around here, and the days are getting longer, I'm looking at getting my new Topstone ready for actual gravel, and not just what's sitting in the bike lane after winter.

Gravel surfaces I expect to be riding on are "good" gravel...5/8"-minus rail trails and 1-1/2"-minus forest service roads which see a grader at least once a year. I had fenders on my last bike (Trek FX), but were fiddly due to too little clearance to 700x38's. With the Topstone geometry better designed to handle wide tires, I feel like it could be an option. But still a little concerned about wobble/rattle/tire contact.

Frame tape seems interesting, if fiddly in a different way (install). Will still be kicking up rocks, though. Having never used it, benefits are less apparent to me (aside from the obvious of frame protection).

Looking for opinions either way...which makes more sense, fenders or frame tape on gravel?
Old 03-18-20, 11:42 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
If riding in the wet, get fenders, even for gravel (just make sure you've got lots of clearance). If mostly riding dry, skip em.
Old 03-18-20, 11:51 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I like to have at least one bike with fenders. It is not always raining or wet. But it is nice to have them when the wet weather comes along.
Old 03-19-20, 12:17 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
If riding in the wet, get fenders, even for gravel (just make sure you've got lots of clearance). If mostly riding dry, skip em.
If riding in the dry, get shiny fenders to blind your enemies with sunlight.
Old 03-19-20, 10:22 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Minimal tape in just the right spots (inside of fork and chainstays)
Old 03-21-20, 09:44 AM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I've taped parts of my frame, both for protection from stones/debris as well as along contact points for frame bags, etc.

Also, this winter I did add fenders to my Topstone, the SKS Speedrockers, and then to add more spray coverage installed a couple of flaps from Ass-Savers. Here are a couple threads with pics if interested.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21260395-post651.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/21357164-post670.html

The Speedrockers have been the most secure and quiet fenders I've ridden in a long time, and they are relatively easy-on / easy-off. I'll probably take them off within a month as it starts drying out. I did also get some other "mini-fenders" from Ass-savers for those times when I may need some protection on a ride-by-ride basis, versus for the whole season. I got the Fendor Bendor, Speed Mullet, and Mudder Mini. I'll post some pics later when I've mounted them.
https://ass-savers.com/

Hope this helps!