Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mismatched Tire sizes yes or no

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mismatched Tire sizes yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 03:59 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I put Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech 700x28s on my '86 Miyata 710. Why? because as a near-Clyde, I like the shock absorbing benefit of the 28s. The rear has plenty of clearance, both width and height. The front -- again fine side-to-side, but < maybe > 1mm between the top of the tire and the fork crown. I'll put a 25 on it (good thing that I had the foresight to buy sets of the Rubinos in both 28 and 25! )... and keep the 28s for the rear...

Pic of the 28 on the front -

I had ridden through some fresh grass clippings that a homeowner directed to the road - and enough got picked up by the front tire that I came to a stop within a hundred feet like someone had applied the brakes! Yep, grass wedged between the tire and fork crown! I popped the quick release loose, cleaned the grass out, closed the release and rode home... 25mm tire coming soon to the front!!!
Yeah, we're responding to a 5-year old thread resurrected by a new user. Presumably the OP figured it out five years ago.

That being said, your photo and story of the front wheel being stopped by grass clippings reminded me that on my previous bike I rode 28mm GP4K tires on the front for a while but the gap was so incredibly fine that I'd gear scraping for a short time after riding over some sand... There was a polished spot on the underside of the fork crown from the tire hitting it sometimes. Yeah, that got changed back to a 25mm tire too, so I had 28s in the rear and 25s up front. To nobody's surprise that mixed sizing presented zero issues. My current bike (new to me since 2017) has plenty of space and I'm running nominal 32mm tires measuring out to 34mm both fore and aft, and loving it.
Old 04-14-20, 04:46 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Yeah, we're responding to a 5-year old thread resurrected by a new user. Presumably the OP figured it out five years ago.

That being said, your photo and story of the front wheel being stopped by grass clippings reminded me that on my previous bike I rode 28mm GP4K tires on the front for a while but the gap was so incredibly fine that I'd gear scraping for a short time after riding over some sand... There was a polished spot on the underside of the fork crown from the tire hitting it sometimes. Yeah, that got changed back to a 25mm tire too, so I had 28s in the rear and 25s up front. To nobody's surprise that mixed sizing presented zero issues. My current bike (new to me since 2017) has plenty of space and I'm running nominal 32mm tires measuring out to 34mm both fore and aft, and loving it.
BTW, that pic I posted of my Miyata clearance was taken in AZ! I bought that bike so I'd have something to do when on my 1-2x / yr visits to my mother out in Gold Canyon (waaaaay east PHX area). It is now home with me in Ohio... and the grass clippings. Also note the vintage Tire Savers - to help with the 'stickers' out in AZ - both natural and man-made. Natural from cactus and ocotillo, and man from glass shards and steel-belted-radial wires... Not enough rain out there to wash the road shoulders clear of that!
Old 04-14-20, 07:04 PM
SethAZ 

BTW, that pic I posted of my Miyata clearance was taken in AZ! I bought that bike so I'd have something to do when on my 1-2x / yr visits to my mother out in Gold Canyon (waaaaay east PHX area). It is now home with me in Ohio... and the grass clippings. Also note the vintage Tire Savers - to help with the 'stickers' out in AZ - both natural and man-made. Natural from cactus and ocotillo, and man from glass shards and steel-belted-radial wires... Not enough rain out there to wash the road shoulders clear of that!
Yeah, Gold Canyon's even easter than I am, and I'm pretty east in the valley. Lots of flat riding where I'm at. I have to actually go somewhere to ride even a gentle hill. As far as the tires go, it was too bad my old bike wouldn't truly support a 28mm tire, but my current one does, and I'm loving the 32mm tires on there now.
Old 04-14-20, 08:25 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I bought the Miyata from a graduating ASU student that didn't want to incur the cost of shipping it to the east coast where he'd gotten a job...

Rode it from to Mesa to Falcon Field to the CAF museum. Also hit the Waffle House at Idaho and the 60 and this was across the street

Yes, this is a 'private' golf course on a barren half-mile by half-mile square of land near the freeway... If you look at the upper right part of the sign, you can even see a golf cart of people playing the course...
Old 04-15-20, 11:55 AM
SethAZ 

I bought the Miyata from a graduating ASU student that didn't want to incur the cost of shipping it to the east coast where he'd gotten a job...

Rode it from to Mesa to Falcon Field to the CAF museum. Also hit the Waffle House at Idaho and the 60 and this was across the street

Yes, this is a 'private' golf course on a barren half-mile by half-mile square of land near the freeway... If you look at the upper right part of the sign, you can even see a golf cart of people playing the course...
I've played a few cheap courses that have that crap right off the fairway. I'm not averse to the occasional Mulligan off the tee if I screw it up too badly and am just not in the mood to let that BS stand, but one hard and fast rule I always go by is this: I love my clubs too much to play out of the gravel, and if you play with me and see my ball go into the gravel, don't be too offended when I take a free drop onto some grass.

Btw, cycling where I'm at here is pretty decent because it can be done year-round. During the winter the challenge is getting it done during the short daylight hours, but temperature-wise it's usually fine, at least with long-sleeve jersey and bibs, and maybe a cycling windbreaker. During the summer the challenge is doing it early enough in the morning before someone turns the dial up to Broil, or else get used to riding at night when it's still freaking hot, but at least the sun isn't shining anymore to make it even worse. I think the hottest it's been when I started a bike ride here was like 114 F or so. Ouch.
Old 04-16-20, 09:34 AM
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mismattched tires look cool

The fat one has to be on the back, though.

Old 04-17-20, 11:26 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by IsItMaxis
Ah you'll be fine i'm running WTB riddlers on the front of my Trek Fuel EX but maxxis ardents on the back same size same type been fine for the whole 9 months on that setup
Welcome to the forums! You must have been working a search engine to find this thread.
Old 04-17-20, 01:33 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
+1

Sheldon Brown considers a slightly larger in the front as a sensible combination. I often put a larger tire in the front if I expect soft gravel or earth on the route. I'll also put a larger tire on the back while loading the bike with touring or commuting gear.
this
Old 04-17-20, 02:39 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’d like to see a fatty bike with a 23 on the front. And yes, that would work fine as well.