Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lake shoe recommendations needed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 07:19 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

I have wide feet and am looking at purchasing a pair of Lake cycling shoes. Wanting a mountain bike type shoe, or one with the recessed cleats. I'm several hundred miles from the nearest retail store, so I'm looking for help sorting through the numerous options within the Lake shoe lineup. I enjoy long distance cycling and initially started a post in that BF section, but thought that maybe I could get more traffic and thus additional recommendations at this local. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-20, 08:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I really like Lake wides, but I haven't bought a pair in forever (I bought two pair, and they last.)

Can you be more specific about what your issues might be?
Old 04-19-20, 04:47 PM
gif4445

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I really like Lake wides, but I haven't bought a pair in forever (I bought two pair, and they last.)

Can you be more specific about what your issues might be?
Of course. The biggest issue is a small toe metatarsal on my right (bad) foot. Not an issue with short rides, but doing ultra's will make it sing. Measured my feet according to the Lake website and I definitely need a wide shoe. Then it's settling on a Lake model. Just wondering how they differ and what would be best for a long distance cyclist. Again, recessed cleats.
Old 04-19-20, 07:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Sorry . I have two pair of older lakes with three closure straps, and one even older pair with a single Boa fastener ..... but all have road cleats. You might have to depend on the noriously unreliable comments on the Lake site (not that the lake comments are bad .... ALL comments on just about every product site .... half are people who love the thing after owning it for 42 seconds ("I haven't put them on yet, but I LOVE these shoes!!!111!!!") and the other half are people who broke the product taking it out of the box and blame the product ("I pulled the adjustment tab completely off the shoe---what a piece of crap!!! And then it said in the instructions, never pull the tab in that direction or it would break! WHY DIDN'T THEY TELL ME!! These shoes Suck!!!!") But sometimes there is one helpful note among 30 pages of drivel.
Old 04-19-20, 07:23 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Of course. The biggest issue is a small toe metatarsal on my right (bad) foot. Not an issue with short rides, but doing ultra's will make it sing. Measured my feet according to the Lake website and I definitely need a wide shoe. Then it's settling on a Lake model. Just wondering how they differ and what would be best for a long distance cyclist. Again, recessed cleats.
Icebug slim insoles... Look into them.
Old 04-19-20, 07:52 PM
gif4445

Originally Posted by Ross520
Icebug slim insoles... Look into them.
I should have mentioned I have worn custom made insoles or inserts for the last 20 years. (plantar fasciitis). That makes the sizing a little more challenging.
Old 04-19-20, 07:56 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I wear lake, I have two pairs, they are CX160 I think. No longer sold but updated. I love them and feel great for my flippers! NEVER get their boa's systems, they are notoriously bad, everyone says so. Mine have the Velcro and have been perfect. I want to try SIdi next yet but both pairs of mine are going strong after years of use.
Old 04-19-20, 08:24 PM
JeffAbe

Bikes: Salsa: Mukluk, Beargrease, Warbird, Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a pair of Lake mx168, 45W. I normally wear a size 10.5 Keen hiking shoe. I have a single BOA system and two velcro straps on each shoe. Compared to my other shoes from Specialized, I like the Lakes much better. The Lakes are way more comfortable, give my wide feet much better room especially in the toe box and required no break in. I can walk in them wonderfully and climb or run without a problem on pavement or dirt. I have about 1,000 miles on them and will not have any problem recomending them or buying them again. I also have not had any problems with the BOA system. My friend purchased the same shoes and after checking with him he feels the same way. Disclaimer, my friend only has about 80miles on his.
Old 04-19-20, 09:03 PM
Turtleman77

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have obscenely wide feet and thick. Lakes summer are too small for me, but I do wear a pair of their winter boots. For me, I had to go with Sidi for my summer shoes, which barely fit. For my Lake shoes, the BOAs were too short to get my feet in the dang shoe. BOA sent me kits with I trimmed laces to replace the systems on the shoes at no cost. So, although the shoes don’t work well for me, the customer service by BOA was exceptional.
Old 04-20-20, 11:43 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Same story here. When I measure according to Lake's instructions, the size guide says I'm a 47 wide. That seemed small for me since I typically wear a US 14 or 15 shoe. So I ordered a 48 wide in the MX168 (which uses the "sport" last). Length is OK, but a 49, which they don't make, might be better. But the width was too narrow in the toe box. I have hobbit/triangular feet, and the shoe tapers on the big toe side too much to be comfortable for me.

I'm going to try the MX218 (which uses the "comp" last, about 5mm wider than the "sport") in a 48 wide. But I'm also going to try the Bont Riot MTB+ in a 48 wide, which supposedly uses a last that's more anatomically correct. Will post updates on both points.
Old 04-22-20, 02:33 PM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MiPeGr
Same story here. When I measure according to Lake's instructions, the size guide says I'm a 47 wide. That seemed small for me since I typically wear a US 14 or 15 shoe. So I ordered a 48 wide in the MX168 (which uses the "sport" last). Length is OK, but a 49, which they don't make, might be better. But the width was too narrow in the toe box. I have hobbit/triangular feet, and the shoe tapers on the big toe side too much to be comfortable for me.

I'm going to try the MX218 (which uses the "comp" last, about 5mm wider than the "sport") in a 48 wide. But I'm also going to try the Bont Riot MTB+ in a 48 wide, which supposedly uses a last that's more anatomically correct. Will post updates on both points.
I started on my wide foot cycling journey not too long ago. I'm roughly 8.5EEE in American dress shoes. My issue is my toes go numb only after 10 or 15 miles. Starts around the 3rd or 4th toe and spreads from there, both feet. Not painful and feeling returns after 1-30 minutes off the bike. Happens even with flat shoes and pedals (Five Tens, though I have to size up because they are not wide). I've also tried around 8 saddles on 3 different bikes hearing that nerves and blood flow can get pinched in your pelvis.

Bont Riot+ MTB in 42.5 wide - feels ok, had to remold them quite a few times really 'pushing' out the toebox to make them feel wide enough. I wear these with an Icebug slim high arch support. Toes still go numb.
Shimano XC7 in 42.0 wide - feels about the same length as the Bont but with more overall volume and (I think) a slightly wider toebox. These shoes with the Icebug slim high arch support were a bit much, so I'm using a mid arch support. Toes still go numb.
Lake MX218 in 42.0 wide - I ordered these used off eBay, they show up this week. No data yet.
Old 04-22-20, 03:10 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate that I'm only a little wide, but the combination of wide and long means I haven't bought a pair of shoes, of any type, in a brick & mortar store in probably 10 years.

I find it interesting @Smitty2k1 that the Shimano's work for you. I had to go up to a 51 in the M089 Wide (older shoe) in order to get the room I need in the toe box. But that puts the arch of the foot too far forward. Maybe I'll try a modern Shimano shoe in a 48 Wide, since my feet are narrower than yours.

I'm familiar with the numb toes thing. As I ride more, and longer distance, and with more effort, I'm getting 2nd and 3rd toe numbness on one foot. I've heard moving the cleats towards the back of the foot can help alleviate that. I should just try it and deal with returning them to their original position if it doesn't work out.