Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Safest all round tires for road riding in the rain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 06:47 AM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts

I've noticed that my schwalbe marathon tires are really good in the dry and OK in the wet, but some surfaces they don't really like. We have some mups that have this concrete rumble sections that seem to make my marathons slide in the wet. I've had these for about five months so the beads and residue should have gone by now. But I still don't find them confidence inspiring in the wet. I used Mitchellin pro race 3 tires for years and you could throw the bike into any corner seemingly at any speed in the rain, but I eventually I got sick of all the punctures and being late on my commutes. The marathons have been great in that regard and I've found the tread blocks useful when I've had to ride on dirt or mud where the pro race 3s would slide.

I'm thinking about switching back from 23C 25C too. Slightly Bigger contact patch might aid in the grip and confidence aspect. I expect most of this is a mind over matter exorcise.

What do you folks think? Is there a one tire that can do it all well or do you have to accept lower wet grip for a tire that can grip on a lot of surfaces averagely.
Old 05-01-20, 07:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I recommend round tires for all riding situations.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-01-20, 07:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Know your surface conditions...

Originally Posted by JayKay3000
What do you folks think? Is there a one tire that can do it all well or do you have to accept lower wet grip for a tire that can grip on a lot of surfaces averagely.
...and know your bike's capabilities. Decide accordingly. I have never found one tire (brand or design) to be grippier than another in wet conditions. I'm in my fifth decade of riding. There are different tread patterns that channel water, grip in loose situations, and provide tread while cornering hard, but these have little advantage in the situation that you are describing. Adjust your speed and technique accordingly.

Why would you use 23c tires? That's a discussion unto itself.

Surfaces or surface features that demand care when wet include: wooden bridges or walkways, railroad tracks, metal gratings or road plates, roots, stones, asphalt with a coating of oil/rubber, etc.
Old 05-01-20, 09:12 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
28c tires, slow down in the rain, and slow down more for special hazards.
Old 05-01-20, 09:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think the main thing that helps on wet pavement is a softer tread compound, but that is going to wear faster.

While knobbies generally do not help, some texture to the tread does when the pavement also has some texture. But not when you are talking about smooth surfaces like metal or paint on the pavement
Old 05-01-20, 10:04 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Before changing tires, I suggest playing with tire pressure. Reducing pressure a bit should improve grip and cornering in wet conditions.
Old 05-01-20, 10:17 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
2" tires, with some siping. And some good rider decisions.
Old 05-01-20, 04:39 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Tread pattern matters little in a bike tire. Softer compounds and lower pressures can help, but unless you are racing just slow down and use common sense. Bike trires are going slow enough and have enough pressure on them that they aren't hydroplaning.

And stay off metal grates and paint lines in the wet, and definitely don't carry glass beer bottles in your shorts pocket. Don't ask me how I know...
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 05-01-20, 07:20 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I really like my Michelin Pro-Tek tires. But, the smallest size they come in is 32mm.
Old 05-01-20, 10:27 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Pirelli Cinturato might be the ticket if you’re willing to go tubeless. It’s one of the few tires on the market that has a race level compound but also proper reinforcement - like Gatorskin level.

Specialized Turbo Pro and Roubaix Pro are also good bets.

IRC Formula X-guard is a pricey option. Not many reviews out there.

Panaracer Race D Evo4 also seems good.

I only have experience with the Turbo Pro but these are all tires with race compounds and tough carcasses.

Last edited by smashndash; 05-02-20 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 11:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
In 700x25, Continental Grand Prix Classics (the skinwalls) have been pretty good on wet pavement. It's a sorta recreation of a popular 1970s-'80s tread, not quite slick, with a raised center section and combination of sipes and chevron tread on the shoulders. Black Chili compound, a thin puncture shield, not enough to make it feel sluggish. I've ridden 'em over 1,000 miles since last summer on my '89 Ironman and '93 Trek 5900. Nice riding tires, with a classic look. Price is somewhere between the cheap Ultra Sport II and the GP4k/5k tires. No puncture flats and only a few nicks in the tread. My only flat was a pinch flat after running over a broken cinder block last year.

Only slip I've had was on ice, a freak early spring bit of hail or sleet that left a frozen spot under a thawed puddle. But any tire without metal studs would have slipped on that stuff.

TBH, tho', Conti's cheap Ultra Sport II have been just as good with the lower spec rubber and slicks. No complaints.

If I had a road bike for commuting in rain and it had clearance for 700x28, I'd consider the Continental Contact Speed.

For my hybrid with larger tires, on wet pavement and some minor wet grass or damp gravel (no off road or muddy stuff):
  • Continental SpeedRides, only available in 700x42 (nominal, actually measure closer to 700x38) -- excellent all around tires. Great compromise between low rolling resistance, good grip in all conditions, good puncture resistance and incredible durability.
  • Conti Sport Contact II (now renamed Contact Speed) -- Various sizes. I think mine are 700x32. The shallow diamond/file pattern tread is remarkably grippy in rain. Rode 'em quite a bit last winter, no problems. They're about equal to the Schwalbe Green Guard and Michelin Protek Urban in puncture resistance, maybe a bit better in rolling resistance. Not my favorite hybrid tire but not bad at all as a compromise between good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance.
Old 05-02-20, 12:16 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Specialized Turbo Pro and Roubaix Pro are also good bets.
I can concur with this about the Roubaix Pro. I bought a pair for last year's Paris Roubaix sportive; they worked brilliantly on the pavé with not one slip or puncture and have done over 1000 miles since on some of the worst roads in Somerset in all weathers. Not a single puncture, and good grip in all weather conditions including a few frosty morning commutes.