Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

breaking chain without chain tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

breaking chain without chain tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 12:17 PM
landstander
darling no baka

Location: I come from a place where the nuts hunt the squirrels

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2005 Trek 520, 2005 Raleigh Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy zombie thread, Bikeman!

Last edited by landstander; 03-13-09 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-13-09, 12:24 PM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh man I wanted that guy to show us his homemade chaintool so bad. Sometimes I remember this thread for no reason and I wonder where chaintool guy is and what dumb lies he's telling right now.
Old 03-13-09, 12:36 PM
fmullegun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where can i get a chain tool for 5 bucks?

my friend bought a really nice one for over 30 and it still could not break a link on my rusted old chain. i had to cut it off
Old 03-13-09, 12:38 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimJ
Oh man I wanted that guy to show us his homemade chaintool so bad. Sometimes I remember this thread for no reason and I wonder where chaintool guy is and what dumb lies he's telling right now.
You know, some threads should stay dead....but this one's just too funny. It should get bumped once a month on principle.

If you want an encore, go look up his thread on chain cleaning. Same guy. Swear to God.
Hell, I'll look it up: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=clean+chain
Old 03-13-09, 12:41 PM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He's still around.

Please dude, pics of your homemade chaintool. PLEASE!
Old 07-13-09, 03:02 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It says "banned" under his name.

This thread is wonderful. Wonderful! I'm hoping this one goes the same way.
Old 03-21-11, 08:22 AM
hardyt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread reflects very badly on the community here. All the OP wanted at the end were some measurements for different types of bicycle chains. The 1% of you who attempted to give pertinent responses gave obviously incorrect measurements.

Save some face and remove this abomination.

If it's not removed, maybe this answers the OP's last question: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycle...ns/Chain_sizes
If it were me, I would measure the external width of the chain you have and go to a LBS to look for the appropriate link. The OP should also ask the LBS to see if their chaintools work on all his/her different bikes. And then buy the appropriate tool.
Old 03-21-11, 08:45 AM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
1/4" pitch? You guys have obviously been taken for a ride by this troll.
Old 03-21-11, 11:37 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Hardyt, did you check the date on the original post? This thread is 4 years old. It was resurrected first in 2009 again for giggles and now you've brought it back to the surface yet again.

And while I don't normally support abusive answers I'd have to agree that the OP deserved what he got. His desire for alternate techniques and stubborness used to avoid buying a common and labour saving bicycle tool was laughable. I only read a few of the posts but frankly he brought on whatever abuse he got on himself for being so obstinate.
Old 03-21-11, 04:00 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hardyt
This thread reflects very badly on the community here. All the OP wanted at the end were some measurements for different types of bicycle chains. The 1% of you who attempted to give pertinent responses gave obviously incorrect measurements.

Save some face and remove this abomination.

If it's not removed, maybe this answers the OP's last question: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycle...ns/Chain_sizes
If it were me, I would measure the external width of the chain you have and go to a LBS to look for the appropriate link. The OP should also ask the LBS to see if their chaintools work on all his/her different bikes. And then buy the appropriate tool.
Actually I gotta agree. Doesn`t really matter when the thread was started - just the fact that its been reserected a couple times now for giggles is nothing to brang about. Sort of underlines the fact that many people are on here just for their own amusement.

So here`s some information just because I don`t think the OP was the only one in this thread that was obstinate and close minded.

1/4 pitch chain is the same as what most people would be famiriar with on chainsaws. Except that its used for other applications too. Oficially its referred to as #25 chain or ISO No ASA-25. Its used in a number of electric scooters as well as a few folding bicycles. Yup - I`ve seen it up close and personal and if its not exactly what most people are familiar with - its still out there.

His other issue with the quick link issue is pretty simple. Even with Shimano 3/32 narrow HG chains, the outside width has varied considerably. Just for fun I measured two different samples a few years apart and found a 0.7mm difference, even though the rivet styles were identical. And I think its pretty common knowledge that KMC missing links aren` compatable with every chain on the market. So if the OP bought a generic link that was intended to be compatible with every 1/8 chain on the market - it would be overdimensioned for at least a few.

But I guess the really big issue was his insistance on using a couple screwdrivers to force apart a chain link. OK Not something I`d suggest was an ideal approach, but hardly the dumbest thing I`ve seen posted here. And since a really big percentage of the postings here are a result of people that are basicly too cheap to bring their bike to a shop - I really don`t see the big deal. So he didn`t wanna spend a couple bucks. There was a thread on here recently where someone suggested maching a length of tubing to avoid buying $5 worth of spacers. Funny - I didn`t see that thread turn into a Payton Place towards the poster that suggested that one.

I`m thinking that regardless of what gets posted - if I don`t like it or have an issue with it - the easiest thing to do is ignore it and let it die.
Old 03-21-11, 04:29 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
The cure for obsessive-compulsive cheapness is Paxil. A lot of it would come in handy around here. bk

Any doctors in the BF group?
Old 05-06-20, 05:34 PM
Robin Hood

Bikes: 6 (3 electric, 3 folders)+ 1 3hub-geared hybrid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimJ
"How do you get a spark plug out of a car with a hammer?"

What? Don't try to get a sparkplug out with a hammer, you'll damage your engine!

"I don't have a socket wrench and I just want to get this spark plug out. I'd hate to buy a whole wrench just to get a spark plug out I'm going to throw away anyway."

Taking a hammer to your sparkplug is a stupid thing to do. You're going to damage something.

"I got it to work with an adze. I just hacked on one side till it cracked enough to get an ice pick in there."

I wouldn't drive that car now. You may have compromised something and it could be unsafe to drive.

"Ooooooh. Look at me! I own a masarati and drive in beverly hills. Watch me put on my driving socks. Hey, How do you measure a spark plug. The guy at the garage said 12mm, but which part is 12mm? I've measured every part."

Good lord that was a dumb thing to do. Buy a socket wrench. They cost $10. Take your car to a mechanic, please.

"I already got it out. Geeeeez. Now somebody tell me what's 12mm? It doesn't fit, I've been hammering on it all day, so I don't know what's 12mm."

This is bizarre and kind of sad.

"Someone tell me how to measure a spark plug! You're all jerks!"

You don't get spark plugs out with hammers. We're making fun of you because you refuse to understand why.

"You're all evil! Like Satan!"

You are a strange fellow. I can't imagine what's going on in your head.

"Hey, the engine is on a pedestal in the Baltimore museum of art. I'm a world-famous installation artist and I needed to get the plug out in order to insert a hot dog. All the hardware stores in the city are closed and I'm surrounded by rabid dogs, so therefore my only tools are a hammer, an adze and an ice pick. Then the muse struck me and I decided to put a different colored spark plug in. I just asked a simple question- how do you get a spark plug out with a hammer- I shouldn't have to explain myself. You don't know anything about me nor my circumstances so therefore you should just go out of your way to answer my question as I asked it because... because I am a human being you jerks!"

Whoa.
13 years on, you are still making people laugh with that post! In fact, that's the hardest I've laughed since before the virus hit Britain. Thank you!
​​​​​​
Old 05-06-20, 09:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Laughter-inducing Zombie Thread!
Old 05-06-20, 10:33 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
This thread is outdated and the information contained therein is obsolete. In fact, you can buy a chain tool these days for $2.96.