Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mechanical odometer

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mechanical odometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 09:44 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Mechanical odometer

I'm posting here because most of us old folks may still remember these things. You attach it onto the front fork of your bike and as the wheel turns, the spinner advances the numbers. Simple. Nowadays, everything is electronic. I just hate the thought of having to turn on or fully charge one more thing when I go for a ride and that includes another app to map my ride - which I don't do anymore.

Anyways, I have three bicycles that I use for the year. It would be nice to have three of these odometers so that after one full year, I can add all the readings to see how far I actually rode.

I Googled, looked in Amazon and ebay and even found an old thread in BikeForums but I can't find these odometers anymore.

If anybody knows of a place that still has them, let me know.
Old 05-06-20, 10:24 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
The basic wired (or wireless) computers are essentially a mechanical odometer. There is a magnet attached to a spoke which passes by a sensor with each wheel revolution. Input the tire rollout on the display, and it will track speed, distance, and other things (i keep the time of day displayed on mine). Uses a battery that might need to be replaced every other year or so (i ride daily all year round, so most people probably get even better battery life than this). Nothing to turn on or off, as it is triggered on by the wheel magnet sensor. Only drawback for you is that the display is digital, not mechanical. However, this does help it become more versatile than the mechanical displays of the vintage odometers.
Old 05-06-20, 10:26 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
If you care, then you can:
pay the cost of leading edge electronics, or
the zero cost of a phone app, or
the cost of acquiring obsolescent antiques.

or guestimating - who's gonna fact check you?

you choose

no distracted driving with my vehicles.
i fly neat and clean.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-06-20 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-07-20, 08:13 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
You must not be looking too hard, as I found about 20 (all new) for sale on Amazon. Prices range from $12-$35. I don't have any mechanical or digital ones on my bicycles, but if I did it would be something like what Salsa Shark describes above.
Old 05-07-20, 08:46 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by skidder
You must not be looking too hard, as I found about 20 (all new) for sale on Amazon. Prices range from $12-$35. I don't have any mechanical or digital ones on my bicycles, but if I did it would be something like what Salsa Shark describes above.
Nope. I just googled. Couldn't find what you found. Can you give me the link?

Last edited by Daniel4; 05-07-20 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-07-20, 08:57 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Not the one who found them, and could see if you were riding a bike for which it would be "period correct' that you might want one. Anyway, here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mechanica...b_sb_ss_i_2_19
Old 05-07-20, 09:02 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I haven't seen one of those things in decades. I can still remember that the constant "tick, tick, tick" sound used to drive me crazy. Do you suppose that might be what happened?
Old 05-07-20, 09:03 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think he means these:

I found 3 on Ebay, all used and in rough shape, except for the one above, but it's only for a 26" wheel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-bic...cAAOSw0BVee9TD
Old 05-07-20, 09:15 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
As found on a bike purchase from a couple years ago. It's fun in an old-school way, but the ticking is noticeable.

If you have a smart phone the Ride with GPS app. is free and easy to use. All you do is start it before your ride and 'Finish' when your done. It will keep track of all your riding from the comfort of your pocket - no need to mount it on the bike. It will also track the various metrics of your riding if you are interested.

You can visit the website first to see for yourself and then load the app. from whatever app. store you have access to.

https://ridewithgps.com/

Old 05-07-20, 09:16 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Here is a new mechanical odometer. 10 bucks. Can't vouch for the vendor though. Who knows whether they are legit.

https://www.treatland.tv/CEV-velomet...meter-7075.htm
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-07-20, 10:13 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
buy a gps and 3 mounts. There is nothing more simple than that. No wires or mounting things on your fork or wheel. Oh and they are 100% accurate too

on the flip side of that, don't use anything. Wear a watch and ride by time not distance
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 05-07-20, 01:09 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
buy a gps and 3 mounts. There is nothing more simple than that. No wires or mounting things on your fork or wheel. Oh and they are 100% accurate too

on the flip side of that, don't use anything. Wear a watch and ride by time not distance
IMO, spot on. Utilize the information that one wants and just ignore the other stuff. Just 10 days ago I was on a midnight 100 mile road ride when a 150lb wild hog came up and side swiped me resulting in a crash. I know exactly how far into the 100 I was(33.4miles), wear this happened, the speed I was riding at when it happened(20.1mph) and down to 0, how far I managed to stay upright before I hit the ground and cracked my scapula + cracked 2 ribs + punctured left lung, how long it took to gather my wits about me almost passing out going into shock while waiting for my buddy to come back to me(10 minutes), then ride the 4.5 miles home not knowing my injuries. Looking at the results to me is neat but then if all I wanted to know was speed/distance I had that also.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 05-07-20 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-07-20, 01:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
IMO, spot on. Utilize the information that one wants and just ignore the other stuff. Just 10 days ago I was on a midnight 100 mile road ride when a 150lb wild hog came up and side swiped me resulting in a crash. I know exactly how far into the 100 I was(33.4miles), wear this happened, the speed I was riding at when it happened(20.1mph) and down to 0, how far I managed to stay upright before I hit the ground and cracked my scapula + cracked 2 ribs + punctured left lung, how long it took to gather my wits about me almost passing out going into shock while waiting for my buddy to come back to me(10 minutes), then ride the 4.5 miles home not knowing my injuries. Looking at the results to me is neat but the if all I wanted to know was speed/distance I had that also.
You do make a good point. Last year I wrecked on a solo ride with no witnesses. Cracked my skull in three places and have no memory of what happened, nor do I remember any of the ten or fifteen minutes prior to arriving at the scene of my accident.

With my bike computer, I was able to determine how fast I was going, where I stopped pedaling, where I crashed, When the bike was moved afterward, and quite a few other things. Going back and walking to those points which I'd put on another handheld GPS gave me a way to make some sense of it as I still to this day have no idea what exactly happened.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-07-20, 01:48 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I think he means these:

I remember those.

Tink...tink...tink...
Old 05-08-20, 09:42 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider

Originally Posted by jlaw

If you have a smart phone the Ride with GPS app. is free and easy to use. All you do is start it before your ride and 'Finish' when your done. It will keep track of all your riding from the comfort of your pocket - no need to mount it on the bike. It will also track the various metrics of your riding if you are interested.

You can visit the website first to see for yourself and then load the app. from whatever app. store you have access to.

https://ridewithgps.com/
Flip Flop Rider and jlaw:

I already have a GPS. Stopped using it as well as smartphone apps. Too many things to turn on and off. Too many things on my handlebar.
Originally Posted by freeranger
Not the one who found them, and could see if you were riding a bike for which it would be "period correct' that you might want one. Anyway, here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mechanica...b_sb_ss_i_2_19
Freeranger:

I found those too. Not interested in speedometers. Too many things on my handlebar. That's why I wrote to BikeForums 50+ in case older riders will remember exactly what I'm describing.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Here is a new mechanical odometer. 10 bucks. Can't vouch for the vendor though. Who knows whether they are legit.

https://www.treatland.tv/CEV-velomet...meter-7075.htm

Ogsarg: Thanks. I'll look into it.

Thank you for all your input.

Last edited by Daniel4; 05-08-20 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 10:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I take a totally different approach. Nothing on the bike. (Well, I have a computer so I can ride the trainer and motivate myself to actually do something.) But on the road its nothing. But I've lived the same place 22 years. I have regular routes. All mapped on on Thomas guides and entered into an Excel worksheet. Then I make a page for each year, line for each day and columns for bike, mileage, elevation, route, comments, mechanics or fix gear ratio. Sum each bike separately plus fleet totals.

Most of the time, it is just a small amount of work, but every once in a while, I get to have real fun in a geeky sort of way. 5 years ago I realized that I was within a year or so of hitting three milestones, 200,000 lifetime miles, 100,000 geared miles and 100,000 fix gear miles and that if I stepped up my fix gear riding just a little, I could hit all three on the same day. June 4 years ago I rode about 40 miles, roughly half on each bike and did it.

I cannot keep track of bike computers. keep them charged and working and keep 5 bikes equipped. One Excel worksheet works.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-09-20, 11:55 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by jlaw
As found on a bike purchase from a couple years ago. It's fun in an old-school way, but the ticking is noticeable.

Thanks. I'll be investigating Sach-Huret odometers.
Old 05-10-20, 06:09 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Thanks. I'll be investigating Sach-Huret odometers.
The Huret Multito. Its a belt drive, no ticking or clicking. Has cumulitive as well as resetting trip OD. I've bought them on ebay. Accurate also. Did a 75 mile ride group ride from the Waterford bike factory and compared mileage with another rider with computer speedo. HIS computer was off by a 1/10 of a mile after 75 miles.😁

Mounted on front hub.
Old 05-10-20, 10:38 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
The Huret Multito.
Brand new - in the box for $34.99!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage...-/274146634539

Old 05-10-20, 12:25 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I haven't seen one of those things in decades. I can still remember that the constant "tick, tick, tick" sound used to drive me crazy. Do you suppose that might be what happened?
That's why I preferred the belt-driven Huret "Multito:"

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=huret%20multito
Old 05-10-20, 08:10 PM
DW_Thomas

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wa-a-ay back (1970s?) I had one of those little shiny jobbies with the metal star wheel and a post clamped to the spoke. It was fine most of the time but every now and again on a fast descent I would occasionally get a >>CLUNK!<< in the middle of the clicks. Careful checking of the various alignments would appear to be correct. I finally decided it might be inertia carrying the star wheel a bit past where the post left it and the post would hit right on the tip of the star on the next pass. It was rather unnerving -- visions of the unit plummeting into the spokes and away I go. So I far preferred the Huret belt drive when I discovered it. Put close to 10K on one of those, although the thin O-rings used for a belt were somewhat fragile. At the time I had the good fortune of working at a place where a suitable replacement O-ring was available to me from lab stock.
Old 05-14-20, 01:04 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The electronic ones are so accurate, and cheap. Tons of them on ebay for between 3-7 dollars apiece. Buy em by the dozen at that price.