Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Bike is Not a Cell Phone - Upgrading to "Latest and Greatest" Syndrome

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Bike is Not a Cell Phone - Upgrading to "Latest and Greatest" Syndrome

Old 05-31-20, 11:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Our new kitty is more of an outdoor cat:

​​​​​​​
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-31-20, 11:43 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Bikes, cameras, and cats! Oh my!

As for upgrades, I just bought a new adventure bike a few weeks ago. Some new tech: discs; some old: bar end shifters. Anyway, it’s my heaviest bike, but it’s already my favorite. So you just never know...

Likes For walnutz:
Old 05-31-20, 11:56 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
A life that is based entirely on utility, with no room for indulgence, is a pretty sad life in my opinion. Others may feel differently and that's fine.
I like this. This gives me the warm fuzzies
Likes For mrblue:
Old 05-31-20, 01:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Our new kitty is more of an outdoor cat:

Probably for the best. Don’t want to accidentally step on that thing’s paw.
Old 05-31-20, 01:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
The last shot of my departed buddy. I would have done him justice if I had known it would be the last.

So gaunt from the cancer.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-31-20, 01:14 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
I like this. This gives me the warm fuzzies
And it gives you a license to splurge on moar bikes
Old 05-31-20, 01:16 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The last shot of my departed buddy. I would have done him justice if I had known it would be the last.
So gaunt from the cancer.
Ah sorry to hear... i lost 2 of my goldies over 4 months due to cancer. It's been a year and change, and it still hurts like a mofo.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-31-20, 03:44 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-31-20, 05:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Now we need cats riding bikes. Maybe with cameras. Or phones.
Old 05-31-20, 08:09 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Bah Humbug Seattle Forrest Sensi was the best cat I've ever been owned by. Some ***hole threw her out of a car window, into the Nevada desert. My girlfriend screamed and pulled over immediately, and I ran around after her. She finally gave up, and let me grab her.

That cat never left my side while I was at home. Whenever I sat down, she moved right in.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-31-20, 08:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Miss Parsley, on the previous page, came home with me while I was volunteering at the animal shelter. I walked by her cage, she reached her paw out and grabbed my shirt. So I opened the cage and went to pick her up, she bit me. Another volunteer who'd been there longer said "yeah, I wouldn't adopt that cat." But personality is good and I'd be jumpy in jail too. Got her home, set her loose, she waited until she thought I was asleep and jumped on my lap. I found out she'd been there 44 days, it wasn't a no kill shelter at the time, and they euthanized after 45.

That was 15 years ago. I'm working from home, she sits on the couch next to me while I work. She's been a fantastic friend and I hope for many more years together. I still take her for walks.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-31-20, 10:58 PM
noodle soup

My girl loved her first Christmas tree
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-01-20, 03:40 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Since we're sharing stories and the OP doesn't seem to mind, I got Toby when he was about five years old (but who knows...) from a coworker of my then-girlfriend. Apparently they had gotten him for the kids, who went off to college and then they just didn't want him any more. They had no idea how to treat him, either - his signals for things like "I'd like to be left alone now" were ignored and even I had a hard time identifying them when he bothered to give them, since he mostly stopped bothering by the time I had him. He was affectionate though, but scared to show it - I had to slowly convince him that it was ok to sleep with us on the bed because he expected to be yelled at as soon as I saw. I had to train him by first noticing that he was up there with us, then ignore him as he tensed up expecting to be yelled at and shooed away. It took months for him to let me pet him in bed.

After I broke up with that GF and moved to Boulder, he was a strictly one-person kitty and didn't understand why anyone else came over, ever. Guy friend, date, it didn't matter: he would see someone came over and go hole up under the bed until they left, even if they liked cats. This meant he was particularly non-plussed when I moved in with my now-wife, no matter how nice she was to him, to her endless credit. Eventually though, as always happens, he succumbed to old age. I miss you buddy; I hope your days now are endless sunshiney naps like this.

Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-01-20, 11:56 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
The Nikon 200mm F/2 VR2 @F/2 sure produces a lovely picture and OOF back ground. D5 Nikon Body..
Old 06-02-20, 06:07 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
The manufacturers of bikes and parts know exactly what they are doing. Changing BB standards, changing axle diameter and length, changing head tube and headset configurations, changing shifter pull ratios. There will always be those who will swear by the advantages of the new stuff. Some Cat 8 racer will swear that he's faster because of a 142mm thru bolt axle as opposed to a 135 quick release. Biopace was going to change the world, then it didn't work, and now with a minor tweak, it works again.
Old 06-02-20, 06:10 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by walnutz
Bikes, cameras, and cats! Oh my!

As for upgrades, I just bought a new adventure bike a few weeks ago. Some new tech: discs; some old: bar end shifters. Anyway, it’s my heaviest bike, but it’s already my favorite. So you just never know...

Look, it's a mountain bike from the late 80's, but this one has drop bars. Oh, and disc brakes too. I hope you have a good life insurance policy. Those are dangerous mechanical discs.
Old 06-02-20, 07:59 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The manufacturers of bikes and parts know exactly what they are doing. Changing BB standards, changing axle diameter and length, changing head tube and headset configurations, changing shifter pull ratios. There will always be those who will swear by the advantages of the new stuff. Some Cat 8 racer will swear that he's faster because of a 142mm thru bolt axle as opposed to a 135 quick release. Biopace was going to change the world, then it didn't work, and now with a minor tweak, it works again.
Agreed.

This reminds me of my opinion of the entire fashion industry (I used to work for a large retailer). It's my opinion that the term "fashion" can be summed-up as follows:

"Whatever you're wearing right now is not cool no matter what it is or how recently you bought it." - PoorInRichfield on Fashion
Old 06-02-20, 09:33 AM
walnutz

Look, it's a mountain bike from the late 80's, but this one has drop bars. Oh, and disc brakes too. I hope you have a good life insurance policy. Those are dangerous mechanical discs.
Gotta love it. Evidence please.

Edit: You know what, I don’t even want a response. This is a happy thread and people are having a good time and you felt the need to crap on someone’s parade. I wish you the best and maybe reconsider your posting motivations.

Last edited by walnutz; 06-02-20 at 09:39 AM.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 06-02-20, 10:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts

Edit: You know what, I don’t even want a response. This is a happy thread and people are having a good time and you felt the need to crap on someone’s parade. I wish you the best and maybe reconsider your posting motivations.
We are evidently on his lawn.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-02-20, 10:26 AM
Seattle Forrest

What does this have to do with cats?
Old 06-02-20, 10:35 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
What does this have to do with cats?
I was going to say, everyone was having a great time and then...
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-02-20, 10:38 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Warning: This thread is pointless and is just me rambling about a thought that's been rolling around in my head for a while ...

Anywho... your thoughts? Are bikes that are more than a few years old worthy of the scrap heap? Is buying a brand new bike a psychological gain or a good idea? Should we all buy a new bike every two years to keep up-to-date along with our iPhones and Android phones?
I reserve scrap heap for recycling (metal), landfill for consumables (rubber), and Goodwill / Craig’s List for repurposing, I appreciate technology and history. So my bikes represent an era both in my life and in technology. BTW, Obsolescence can equate to unsustainable (like, no parts) and may see the fate of the other 3 categories. Buying new technology when it is a game changer really makes sense to me. My last bike purchase added the capabilities of a carbon frame, compact gearing, and endurance performance (wide tires/ lower PSI/ stack & reach). Sure it is a road bike, but not like any In my stable. Unfortunately, I like most, have limited space/ resources. I have a Trek 7000 I really should repurpose.
Like the opportunity to reflect on your post.
Likes For jlmonte:
Old 06-02-20, 11:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Since we're sharing stories and the OP doesn't seem to mind, I got Toby when he was about five years old (but who knows...) from a coworker of my then-girlfriend. Apparently they had gotten him for the kids, who went off to college and then they just didn't want him any more. They had no idea how to treat him, either - his signals for things like "I'd like to be left alone now" were ignored and even I had a hard time identifying them when he bothered to give them, since he mostly stopped bothering by the time I had him. He was affectionate though, but scared to show it - I had to slowly convince him that it was ok to sleep with us on the bed because he expected to be yelled at as soon as I saw. I had to train him by first noticing that he was up there with us, then ignore him as he tensed up expecting to be yelled at and shooed away. It took months for him to let me pet him in bed.

After I broke up with that GF and moved to Boulder, he was a strictly one-person kitty and didn't understand why anyone else came over, ever. Guy friend, date, it didn't matter: he would see someone came over and go hole up under the bed until they left, even if they liked cats. This meant he was particularly non-plussed when I moved in with my now-wife, no matter how nice she was to him, to her endless credit. Eventually though, as always happens, he succumbed to old age. I miss you buddy; I hope your days now are endless sunshiney naps like this.
That poor kitty. Glad to hear you gave him a great life and turned things around for him.

One of my two has the same kind of temperament. People come over, he hides under the bed. Actually now he hides above the cupboards and looks down like the Cheshire cat. Lately when I get a delivery they leave it at the door, knock, and then take off - he hears a knock and he runs and hides. I sneeze and he runs and hides. I pick something up and he looks like he thinks I'm going to beat him with it. As far as I know he's never been mistreated in his life. He was an ex girlfriend's cat, when she moved out she didn't really want him anymore and left him with me. She had a temper / anger problem, and he used to occasionally pee where he's not supposed to - that stopped when she moved out. So maybe she lost it on him when I wasn't around.

Now he hangs out in front of the building like a Walmart greeter, showing everybody who lives here his belly when they come home. Still hides when those same people come in though. Let's just say he isn't the smartest cat in the world, and leave it at that.
Old 06-02-20, 11:13 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I guess the tongue in cheek comment missed the mark. It was a two fold comment. It was in part a comment on how the old becomes the new again. It was also a play on how mechanical discs are generally met with a degree of scorn on these pages. That despite the fact that they work better than anyone "needs" brakes to work on a bike.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-02-20, 11:34 AM
walnutz

I guess the tongue in cheek comment missed the mark. It was a two fold comment. It was in part a comment on how the old becomes the new again. It was also a play on how mechanical discs are generally met with a degree of scorn on these pages. That despite the fact that they work better than anyone "needs" brakes to work on a bike.
Ah, got it. Sorry if I overreacted. The sarcasm was definitely not obvious lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.