Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

90s Cannondale or 80s Vitus 979?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

90s Cannondale or 80s Vitus 979?

Old 05-31-20, 06:34 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by DC City Hauler
So generally speaking non-brifter bikes are clustered at a lower price point? I have no problem with down-tube shifting.
That's correct. While not a problem in this forum, for the most part, the gap is shortening in price. And 99% of the public will choose the brifter bike.
Likes For sdn40:
Old 05-31-20, 07:49 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
The 90's era Cannondale's were harsh riding; the 80's era Vitus were flexy, is flexy a problem? it wasn't for Sean Kelly who one the TDF on one including a slew of other races he won on the same bike, he didn't seem to complain about it!

Vitus has superior looks over the Cannondale, has more of a vintage look as well, and it has a glorious history behind it. Find some period correct components for it and you would be styling. Cannondale made so many of the exact same looking bike it's difficult to tell what year of a bike you have, with Vitus it's pretty easy to tell. Vitus had some bonding issues when they first came out and for the following 3 years, after that they were solidly bonded. If it were me I would go with the Vitus.

Adrenalin Bikes still sell the 979 NOS! but they cost more than what you're looking at, https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...oductid=126276

Last edited by greatscott; 05-31-20 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 02:11 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
It was an R400, a 3.0 frame. Is it really the consensus view that 3.0s are to be avoided because of the cantilever drops?
The short answer is no.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-01-20, 06:53 AM
DC City Hauler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
The 90's era Cannondale's were harsh riding; the 80's era Vitus were flexy, is flexy a problem? it wasn't for Sean Kelly who one the TDF on one including a slew of other races he won on the same bike, he didn't seem to complain about it!

Vitus has superior looks over the Cannondale, has more of a vintage look as well, and it has a glorious history behind it. Find some period correct components for it and you would be styling. Cannondale made so many of the exact same looking bike it's difficult to tell what year of a bike you have, with Vitus it's pretty easy to tell. Vitus had some bonding issues when they first came out and for the following 3 years, after that they were solidly bonded. If it were me I would go with the Vitus.

Adrenalin Bikes still sell the 979 NOS! but they cost more than what you're looking at, https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...oductid=126276
Adrenalin is asking $1200 just for the frame. I'll pass. Not when I see frames like this going for $200. Unfortunately this is the wrong size. I need a 54, or maybe a 53. I'm 5' 7" and am confident 56 would be too much.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...131992108.html

Last edited by DC City Hauler; 06-01-20 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-01-20, 07:56 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Is there a general weight limit people would put on a 979? I know some superlight steel bikes like 531 Pro are very much in the "made for someone with the body of a pro racer" category.
Old 06-01-20, 07:58 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts

I also am looking for a Cannondale to build up as I have never ridden a rode bike version. I have a Vitus, 60 cm frame and I've heard and read of the frame flex but I haven't experienced it. I'm not a strong rider and at 6'3" 265 lbs I'm probably stressing the frame a bit. I love my Vitus. I don't ride it often but when I do I really enjoy the ride.
Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 06-01-20, 08:15 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Is there a general weight limit people would put on a 979? I know some superlight steel bikes like 531 Pro are very much in the "made for someone with the body of a pro racer" category.
I've heard this "weight limit" thing before, but I've never seen any official Vitus 979 product literature mention it. I think it's just a product of the rumor mill, with a touch of fat-shaming.
My friend Kevin, a proverbial 225lb gorilla, bought one about a year ago and he's been happy with his. I'll let you know if he breaks it. I'm 175lb when I'm not on a tour, and I've been fine with mine for several years now. Probably depends on your riding style.
Old 06-01-20, 08:17 AM
sheddle

Thanks, those last two posts give me a bit more confidence, hah (6'0'', 200lbs after a no-training winter)

Been looking at someone's gorgeous 979 with a complete Superbe Pro build and lusting after it, but wasn't sure if it was a "flexy frame = no big lads" thing.
Old 06-01-20, 09:29 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I’m partial to Cannondales, myself; the USA-made (pre-06) bikes are, IMHO, some of the best finished mass-market aluminum frames made. I find them to be responsive, good riding bikes; the ‘2.8’ Criterium were and are no-comprises go-fast race bikes, and that reputation definitely colored the reputation of the rest of the lineup.

The later ‘3.0’ and CAAD-2/3 bikes are definitely worthy of upgrading, as Cannondales practice was to use the same frame across several models, just with different components, so a midrange R600 is essentially the same as the top-flight R1000, and makes as good a base to start with if you’re planning a big update.
Because of that practice, during the 6/7/8-sp era, The frames were built at 128mm, so they could use either 126mm FW or 130mm cassette wheels, depending on what model it would be built as.

Finally, Cannondale also built a fair number of XXL 23”-25” frames; I ride with some very large people, and Cannondales are popular with them for that reason.
Old 06-01-20, 10:58 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce

I also am looking for a Cannondale to build up as I have never ridden a rode bike version. I have a Vitus, 60 cm frame and I've heard and read of the frame flex but I haven't experienced it. I'm not a strong rider and at 6'3" 265 lbs I'm probably stressing the frame a bit. I love my Vitus. I don't ride it often but when I do I really enjoy the ride.
Man, that bike is gorgeous.

Re: flex. I'm confident that when you take a Cannondale road bike for a ride, or at least one from the same era as that Vitus, you'll immediately feel the difference. To me, it was like getting in a tight German sports car after riding around in a buick.
Old 06-01-20, 11:01 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I’m partial to Cannondales, myself; the USA-made (pre-06) bikes are, IMHO, some of the best finished mass-market aluminum frames made. I find them to be responsive, good riding bikes; the ‘2.8’ Criterium were and are no-comprises go-fast race bikes, and that reputation definitely colored the reputation of the rest of the lineup.

The later ‘3.0’ and CAAD-2/3 bikes are definitely worthy of upgrading, as Cannondales practice was to use the same frame across several models, just with different components, so a midrange R600 is essentially the same as the top-flight R1000, and makes as good a base to start with if you’re planning a big update.
Because of that practice, during the 6/7/8-sp era, The frames were built at 128mm, so they could use either 126mm FW or 130mm cassette wheels, depending on what model it would be built as.

Finally, Cannondale also built a fair number of XXL 23”-25” frames; I ride with some very large people, and Cannondales are popular with them for that reason.
They were great bikes. I get angry when I think about it's demise. From what I understand, Cannondale's boss simply made some dumb business moves and thereby wrecked the company. He could have left things alone, and it would still be around.
Old 06-01-20, 11:05 AM
sheddle

Oh, the Cannondale motocross bike. Good lord.

GT for me is an even sadder story. They absolutely owned the MTB market in the 90s. They should have been as big as Specialized or Trek, instead of dying out and basically being a zombie brand these days.
Old 06-01-20, 01:13 PM
sheddle

Here's the one I was thinking of making an offer on- in my size and very much a love-at-first-site look.

The Suntour Superbe build doesn't hurt either.

Likes For sheddle:
Old 06-01-20, 02:14 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 186 Posts
That is sweet->!
Here's the one I was thinking of making an offer on- in my size and very much a love-at-first-site look.

Likes For jetboy:
Old 06-04-20, 05:01 PM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Raced how? As in racing your brother or best friend around the block?
Um, no. Road races and crits. Up and down California. Gen X present and reporting for duty.
Old 06-06-20, 01:09 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Man, that bike is gorgeous.

Re: flex. I'm confident that when you take a Cannondale road bike for a ride, or at least one from the same era as that Vitus, you'll immediately feel the difference. To me, it was like getting in a tight German sports car after riding around in a buick.
Thanks DC City Hauler. I've been keeping an eye out for a Cannondale that works for me.
Old 07-02-20, 06:35 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I must confess this listing has me licking my lips. Though I have to ask myself how hard is it really to build a bike from just a frame? I've never done it and have little idea of how much time it would take me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/cadre-Vitus...wAAOSwaXVe-L0p
Old 07-02-20, 07:08 AM
Jmpierce

I say go for it, if it's your size.

It's not too hard to build a bike up from a frame if you're at all mechanically inclined. The forum here has many very knowledgeable people who are willing to help and there is always Sheldon's web site.

I bought my Vitus as a frame, fork and headset and went from there. I have to say I've been doing this for awhile.

Also, go to this link it has history of the Vitus 979.

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...vitus-979.html

Last edited by Jmpierce; 07-02-20 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 07:09 AM
Jmpierce

Did you get it?
Old 07-02-20, 09:33 AM
sheddle

Did you get it?
It's still up- I've sent in a request for a test ride. I've never ridden a Vitus before, so I'd like to see how it rides for someone with my (unimpressive) build before committing.
Old 07-02-20, 10:55 AM
DC City Hauler

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I say go for it, if it's your size.

It's not too hard to build a bike up from a frame if you're at all mechanically inclined. The forum here has many very knowledgeable people who are willing to help and there is always Sheldon's web site.

I bought my Vitus as a frame, fork and headset and went from there. I have to say I've been doing this for awhile.

Also, go to this link it has history of the Vitus 979.

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...vitus-979.html
What do you think of the joints? can they be cleaned up?

Last edited by DC City Hauler; 07-02-20 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 05:44 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

Cleaned up how? You can polish the lugs, sure. You mean the oozy glue? I guess you could sand or carefully Dremel the glue overflow, but that's not unusual on Vitus frames... Some signs of oxidization will still be visible, when you're done polishing, unless you take off a heck of a lot of metal. But it will probably look pretty good with just a reasonable amount of effort.

Maiden 5 miles and a quick wipe down. Feels a tad small at 54cm. But much better than the 60cm They feel like they ride big. Bottom bracket seems high up.
Tall tires?
Old 07-03-20, 08:10 AM
Jmpierce

You can probably clean them up with real fine steel wool, I haven't tried it but it should work.

Others on this forum know better than me how to do that.
Old 07-03-20, 10:08 AM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 363 Posts
I've never seen a 979 with "sloppy joints". Do you think it's been reglued?
Is that downtube to BB joint with a misshaped downtube?