Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Roam or Garmin Edge 530/830

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Roam or Garmin Edge 530/830

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 09:54 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've both Garmin Edge (510, 810, 520, and 530) and had the Wahoo ELEMNT Roam and although I had no issues with the Roam I ended up selling it and getting the 530. The only thing that I wasn't crazy about the Roam and I didn't like the fact that it didn't sync with Garmin Connect. Other than that they both do the exact same thing. The 530 has new features especially if you're a MTB rider you will definitely like the 530.
Old 06-02-20, 05:31 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Laurido92
I've both Garmin Edge (510, 810, 520, and 530) and had the Wahoo ELEMNT Roam and although I had no issues with the Roam I ended up selling it and getting the 530. The only thing that I wasn't crazy about the Roam and I didn't like the fact that it didn't sync with Garmin Connect. Other than that they both do the exact same thing. The 530 has new features especially if you're a MTB rider you will definitely like the 530.
Basically my thoughts, and understandable that it wouldn't integrate.
Old 06-02-20, 05:52 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Just watched this video. It is pretty much everything you need to learn between the two units.

The more I use the Wahoo, the more I like it.
Old 06-02-20, 05:25 PM
jnesss

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
sorry for the highjack, I've been lookin at Garmins and Wahoo's lately.

correct me if I'm wrong:

•Garmin 830 has turn by turn Navi with no additional cost? just import a Strava route and done?
•Wahoo Bolt / Roam only has turn by turn Navi via an uploaded route from another piece of software and you need to pay a subscription fee for that software?
Old 06-02-20, 06:30 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by jnesss

correct me if I'm wrong:

•Garmin 830 has turn by turn Navi with no additional cost? just import a Strava route and done?
•Wahoo Bolt / Roam only has turn by turn Navi via an uploaded route from another piece of software and you need to pay a subscription fee for that software?
Both provide it free. Both let you load routes from various sources (like RWGPS).
Old 06-02-20, 08:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by jnesss

correct me if I'm wrong:

They both do TBT. Garmins can uses “courses” (sometimes known as Routes by other software), created in Strava, RideWithGPS, Kamoots and Garmin Connect. Wahoo can pretty much do the same (not sure about Kamoots). Those routes can be courses/routes created by others or one you create. Wahoo let’s you create on the phone app, Garmin as well. Both allow easy downloads of these courses via BT from the phone or via WiFi. Wahoo does not have a web based course creation tool. All this is free though Strava is starting to charge for stuff, RWGPS has some limits as well, but is worth a subscription. Lots of easy ways to get courses/routes onto the devices, it’s mostly pain free.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-02-20, 08:31 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Just received my 530 - it just took 12 days to get here... REI took 6 days to ship it, then it seems to have gotten misrouted by UPS.

Don't use Garmin Express. I couldn't get it to work, it just kept telling me it can't connect to the backend services. Their support KB suggested this is because it's already installed, but not in my case. It just didn't work. Use the app; it will sync, update firmware, connect the computer to your account, etc. I mention this because DC Rainmaker has a setup video where he uses Garmin Express. It seems completely obsolete.

They removed the bike profiles compared to my old 510. I don't think this will pose a hard problem; I've set the 530 to use ANT+ while my laptop uses BT. But with bike profiles I could have created an indoor profile with only the PM pedals (Favero Assiomo Duo) and left everything else to Rouvy, making the sensor assignments explicit. It'll be interesting to see if my HRM behaves with both BT and ANT+ masters. Although I can always stop using the pedals in Rouvy and rely on the Kickr Core trainer (but then I also need to add a cadence sensor for indoor use; although the Core reports cadence, it has no idea which gear I'm in and is mostly guessing wrong). For multiple physical bikes, just add All The Sensors. This does have the possibility of misdetection though, it could easily detect an ANT+ sensor on a nearby bike, other than the one you're about to ride on. Then, as you ride off it loses it and will need to stop a block away for manual intervention.

The screen is okay, but nothing like the Wahoo Elemnt. Should be workable though. The button feel is excellent, better than the Wahoo.

Edit: I suspect the devices (sensors) only have one ISM band RF transceiver, and are going to either operate using BT or ANT+, but won't be able to do both simultaneously... I wonder who will win: first to connect or last to connect?

Last edited by sfrider; 06-02-20 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-02-20, 08:41 PM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I’m the same as a lot of guys. I had an Elemnt Bolt and even though it worked perfectly, it didnt tie in with Garmin Connect which was a deal breaker because I use my Fenix 6 watch for all my other fitness stuff besides cycling.
Likes For BluFalconActual:
Old 06-02-20, 09:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Just received my 530 - it just took 12 days to get here... REI took 6 days to ship it, then it seems to have gotten misrouted by UPS.

Don't use Garmin Express. I couldn't get it to work, it just kept telling me it can't connect to the backend services. Their support KB suggested this is because it's already installed, but not in my case. It just didn't work. Use the app; it will sync, update firmware, connect the computer to your account, etc. I mention this because DC Rainmaker has a setup video where he uses Garmin Express. It seems completely obsolete.
I haven't used Express in years and get everything I want out of mine. You might need it to update the maps, but I think it can do that over wifi?
Old 06-02-20, 10:35 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I haven't used Express in years and get everything I want out of mine. You might need it to update the maps, but I think it can do that over wifi?
Not sure... it will do software updates, sync activities, and install ConnectIQ apps (and data fields?) over Wifi. Not sure if the software updates include maps however...

Maybe if there's a map update and it doesn't auto update to it, I'll have to install GE on a Win10 PC (I only tried it on a MacBook Pro) - and use that. That's okay for once-in-a-blue-moon stuff...
Old 06-02-20, 11:54 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I don't use Garmin Connect for much, but it's pretty easy to use Golden Cheetah as an intermediary between Strava and it. Sync (download) activities from Strava, batch export them as .fit files, import them into GC. Extra steps, sure, but worth it for me to use my Bolt instead of Edge 520.